IGNORED

Trouble at Rockstar Games - Another Infinity Ward/Activision lawsuit imminent?

Janski

GTA III/VC/SA and IV were all huge money spinners and the 3 of them made sure they got their profit participation from it, so he'd be fine even if he doesn't get what's due to him from the Housers this time, but with that much on the table, no wonder he wants his share of the riches, especially as it seems he is instrumental in getting their games out of the door. Gonna be interesting to see how it goes in the future without him sorting out their train wrecks.

On 15 April 2016 at 1:30 PM, Pelekophoros said:

There's an argument to say that they haven't, and that the success of GTAV is the culmination of decades worth of effort and work, not least of all across multiple iterations of the series on various formats.

Exactly and Benzies name has been front and centre of every one of them from 3 onwards. He was the most important person in the company - nobody is irreplaceable but he was close.

I'm not talking generally though. GTA V Is regarded as one of videogaming's crown achievements, by choosing to 'vote with your wallet' you're not proving anything. 

Like I said if people are more bothered about Rockstar employees, to the point they won't buy their games, than the workers treated poorly who make the machines to play them on, well, they're just hypocrites.

And who's leaping to the defence of whom???

I've been in the guys house, believe me he's fucking loaded.

Does he still have a place up in Elgin? I'm sure I was mates with his son years and years ago - he always said his dad worked on Silicon Valley for the N64 but I never put two and two together. Did Benzies work on that game?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I'm not talking generally though. GTA V Is regarded as one of videogaming's crown achievements, by choosing to 'vote with your wallet' you're not proving anything. 

Like I said if people are more bothered about Rockstar employees, to the point they won't buy their games, than the workers treated poorly who make the machines to play them on, well, they're just hypocrites.

And who's leaping to the defence of whom???

I'm not talking about GTA V, we're at cross purposes again. I was responding to a point made about FUTURE games. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Comment about defending wasn't aimed at you. I got a neg from a strong Sony proponent.

11 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I'm not talking about GTA V, we're at cross purposes again. I was responding to a point made about FUTURE games. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Comment about defending wasn't aimed at you. I got a neg from a strong Sony proponent.

No worries, I just couldn't work.out what Sony had to do with it, especially as you were quoting me.

But, speaking generally, I agree. People normally do vote with their wallets whether for a game that's got good reviews, word of mouth etc. to customer service and so on. But what all those things have in common is how the experience affects the customer directly, and not really about ethics at all.

Edited by Stanley

30 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Oh do sod off.  All my gaming is done on Bone.  It's currently the only console I own! I wasn't "leaping to their defence" as you put it. I negged you for bringing up Sony yet again in yet another thread. We get it, you don't like them since you saw the light and got a Bone!

11 hours ago, Avuncular said:

What are the 'grotesquely violent scenes against some of society's most vulnerable women'?

If you actually follow the link in article, you'll find out that he's referring to the terrible violence against prostitutes in the game, which, you know, it never requires of the player or even encourages. So presumably writer Colin Campbell will also be taking Nintendo to task for their unrepentant support of the Nazis since there's nothing stopping you from making levels filled with swastikas in Mario Maker.

15 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Oh do sod off.  All my gaming is done on Bone.  It's currently the only console I own! I wasn't "leaping to their defence" as you put it. I negged you for bringing up Sony yet again in yet another thread. We get it, you don't like them since you saw the light and got a Bone!

My mistake, I must have mixed you up with someone else. It's not going to dissuade whom I comment on and where, however.

Well no, but as Stanley pointed out, it just seemed out of nowhere, rather than fitting with the conversation.

(For what it's worth, I completely agree that their customer service is absolutely shocking and definitely makes me think twice about investing into their "ecosystem" in the future).

Blimey, I got that completely wrong. Sorry for dragging your name through the mud. I honestly couldn't think of another example of "ethical" versus "is this game any good or not" purchasing. Day to day for me, it mostly pertains to shops you guys probably haven't heard of.

On 16/04/2016 at 8:28 PM, Simmy said:

Does he still have a place up in Elgin? I'm sure I was mates with his son years and years ago - he always said his dad worked on Silicon Valley for the N64 but I never put two and two together. Did Benzies work on that game?

Yes, he was instrumental for that game:

Lead Programmer:

Leslie Benzies

He must be the richest game dev in Scotland by a long shot, David Jones already blew a load on his failed dream project and the only other notable and actual best game dev to ever come from Scotland is rich, but he never sold GTA numbers, merely Millions of copies of his games.

49 minutes ago, mushashi said:

...the only other notable and actual best game dev to ever come from Scotland is rich, but he never sold GTA numbers, merely Millions of copies of his games.

Chris Sawyer?

Surely even if Benzies is already rich he still deserves his share of the profits from this game as legally agreed upon? Especially if the Housers have specifically acknowledged that they can't get games finished without him.

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

Yes, he was instrumental for that game:

Lead Programmer:

Leslie Benzies

He must be the richest game dev in Scotland by a long shot, David Jones already blew a load on his failed dream project and the only other notable and actual best game dev to ever come from Scotland is rich, but he never sold GTA numbers, merely Millions of copies of his games.

You might want to look up who did the console ports of Minecraft. Made a few bob.

20 hours ago, scottcr said:

You might want to look up who did the console ports of Minecraft. Made a few bob.

Unless they had a profit participation deal like Benzies did, I doubt it. I would assume Microsoft wouldn't give up a profit share if they could help it, would seem more like the usual work for hire deal, unless somebody knows the details on that particular deal.

22 hours ago, K said:

Are you going to tell us who this agent is, or do we have to keep on cross-examining you?

It's listed on his personal website, but as people need to be fed everything, it's Marjacq Micro, whose sole gaming client is Chris Sawyer now, though they used to represent other people in the past.

http://www.marjacqman.com/aboutus.html