Glasgowchivas

2 hours ago, probotector said:

The CGI looks awesome. The only one standing out is the young Luke and Leia but apparently it’s not deaging effects but unused footage from return of the Jedi...!?

It was really impressive how Richard Marquand managed to make the pair of them look like weird uncanny valley automatons way back in the 80s in that case.

Also no drafts of Return of the Jedi featured any scene at all like that they could have cribbed that bit from.

Reminds me of when George Lucas tried to claim that the awful additional Vader line about his star destroyer in ESB was cribbed from cut scenes from the first film, when they hadn’t even come up with that name until ESB.

1 hour ago, probotector said:

One thing no one mentions about these new Sta Wars films and especially 9 is just how awesome it all looks.

The CGI looks awesome. The only one standing out is the young Luke and Leia but apparently it’s not deaging effects but unused footage from return of the Jedi...!?

Yeah, that's bollox.

19 hours ago, probotector said:

One thing no one mentions about these new Sta Wars films and especially 9 is just how awesome it all looks.

Where did you read that?

Are you sure you’re not getting mixed up with the unused ep7 footage used for older Leia?

On 27/12/2019 at 17:18, JPL said:

I just had a thought. Wasn’t the first time they used the Death Star supposed to be in Episode IV, when they destroyed Alderaan? Doesn't Tarkin tell Leia she’s a guest at the ceremony that makes the battle station operational, or something?

It’s the first time the full planet destroying power  Of the Death Star is used - the first two where just small strikes on Jeddah / skarif  as they mention something about using half power or something like that (can’t remember top of my head). Both planets are both  standing alderan was blown apart 

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

That’s not entirely true. Some of it looks amazing, I just think they were over-confident with it.

He looks fantastic in stills.  It was a risky move that didn't quite pay off. The better contemporary examples use actors that haven't been dead for years.  They hand tweaked Guy Henry's performance to look a bit more Cushing.  I wonder if it would have looked more natural if they just left it. 

Also, Cushing's a weird looking bloke with weird makeup in ANH.  You can't help but think he's sit in some scenes better with other actors if they emulated similar makeup to the other actors.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I didn’t really notice Cushing was fake in Rogue One. Leia, on the other hand, looked like she’s been created by someone who would be more comfortable doing police photo fits.

I think you need to get your glasses checked.

I think it’s a bit of brain trickery as well to be honest.  We know that Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher cannot be playing their respective roles in R1, hence it looks weird to us when they are there.  My young nephew (7) doesn't know this, and can see nothing wrong at all with either of the characters.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28/12/2019 at 12:37, JPL said:

Sure, but my original point was that they’d just used the Death Star twice - which Leia would have been well aware of - so why’s he saying she’s his guest at the Death Star opening party? It don’t make no sense.

It hadn't blown up a planet though.

On 28/10/2021 at 20:38, ZOK said:

This is such a good Star Wars film. Other than The Last Jedi it’s the only film since the original trilogy worth watching, and from the moment they get to Skarrif it stands squarely alongside the original trilogy for pure Star Wars action - it’s tense, properly exciting and fully coherent, not just a big dollop of effects.

The rebel raid on the Imperial facility, with the X-wings flying in the canyon is amazing, like the x-wing novels.

How they managed to dilute the Star Wars universe to the point it is now after this great film is unfathomable to me.

On 28/12/2019 at 17:25, Harsin said:

It was really impressive how Richard Marquand managed to make the pair of them look like weird uncanny valley automatons way back in the 80s in that case.

Also no drafts of Return of the Jedi featured any scene at all like that they could have cribbed that bit from.

I read somewhere the other day that they just used the faces from unused takes - Luke when he’s tied up in the Ewok village, and Leia from the scene where Luke tells her she’s his sister - and cgi’d everything around those. Think they just picked stuff that was shot at kind of the right angle.

16 hours ago, McFly said:

The rebel raid on the Imperial facility, with the X-wings flying in the canyon is amazing, like the x-wing novels.

How they managed to dilute the Star Wars universe to the point it is now after this great film is unfathomable to me.

Yes I love that bit.

It does crack me up though from a storytelling perspective - the whole assassination attempt would have been foiled if the Empire had decided to use a conference room for their big meeting.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

Yes I love that bit.

It does crack me up though from a storytelling perspective - the whole assassination attempt would have been foiled if the Empire had decided to use a conference room for their big meeting.

Lol that's true. Its quite a straight forward scene, but to me shows what the war would really be like, little skirmishes that lead to the big battles.

Also Vader at the end and the whole Skarrif scenario.

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes I love that bit.

Unusually for an Imperial base, that one didn't have any rickety bridges over looming chasms so they had to settle for the next best thing: a rain-soaked platform on the edge of a cliff.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it again. Love it more and more each time. It’s gone from being a film I really didn’t rate on first viewing to by far the best SW film outside of the OT. Whisper it, but it’s not that many parsecs behind RotJ for my number 3 slot.

My favourite Disney era film by an absolute mile.  

When you look at the mess they got themselves into with TLJ & ROSW it is astonishing how badly they managed to shit the bed after this film.  

I would go so far as to say Baby Yoda (The Child) managed to rescue the entire franchise for them.