Glasgowchivas

No. I get why people like the film, but I don't get why it's rated quite so highly. Forest Whitakar is wasted, his character in this film is absolute trash that veers into spoof, and not the funny kind; same goes for Donnie Yen, 'is your foot alright?' is so so bad. The score is absolutely atrocious (but not really the composer's fault in fairness), and some of the effects (Bor Gullet, Cushing and Fisher) are proper duff. 

The main trio of Luna, Jones, and Tudyk are the best things in the film, but the actual plot execution is naff. There are some nice set pieces, and the final scenes are a nice link to the OT. But the film just doesn’t really hang together for me. 

Rogue One is a load of nothing, there’s some astonishingly beautiful imagery in there but barely anything beyond that. The characters are non-existent, the plot threadbare and the action lacks any momentum.

The Vader scene is cool but it’s also doing a lot heavy lifting considering it has so little to do with the rest of the film that it was wedged in at last minute.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

No. I get why people like the film, but I don't get why it's rated quite so highly. Forest Whitakar is wasted, his character in this film is absolute trash that veers into spoof, and not the funny kind; same goes for Donnie Yen, 'is your foot alright?' is so so bad. The score is absolutely atrocious (but not really the composer's fault in fairness), and some of the effects (Bor Gullet, Cushing and Fisher) are proper duff. 

The main trio of Luna, Jones, and Tudyk are the best things in the film, but the actual plot execution is naff. There are some nice set pieces, and the final scenes are a nice link to the OT. But the film just doesn’t really hang together for me. 

And it's still the best of the new lot. 

13 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Rogue One is a load of nothing, there’s some astonishingly beautiful imagery in there but barely anything beyond that. The characters are non-existent, the plot threadbare and the action lacks any momentum.

The Vader scene is cool but it’s also doing a lot heavy lifting considering it has so little to do with the rest of the film that it was wedged in at last minute.

Dude, you’re telling me you weren’t in awe every time the Death Star turned up?

The film was amazing at showing the utter terror or the weapon. The first time it appears was awesome.

The Second time it appears at the end, you know it’s game over. I get the criticism of the film as it’s setting up so much so fast, but as soon as they land on Scariff, it’s none stop action and tension and it just ramps up constantly, especially as the odds keep going up and members start dropping like flies.

The characters were no bodies and no one remembers them, so it fits that they’re not totally built up but again, it’s an ensemble cast, it’s not supposed to be detailed.

You know what? IMO it’s the best Star Wars film.

Rogue One is dripping in what made me love the first SW. An authenticity. It just has it. Strange saying that about a film set in a fantastical galaxy far far away but that's how it feels to me, and it makes me invest in what's up on the screen a whole lot more. Something the ST just doesn't have in my eyes.

I just had a thought. Wasn’t the first time they used the Death Star supposed to be in Episode IV, when they destroyed Alderaan? Doesn't Tarkin tell Leia she’s a guest at the ceremony that makes the battle station operational, or something?

Rogue One is the only new film that can stand as roughly comparable in quality and verve with the original trilogy. After that there is The Last Jedi, then there's nothing else worth watching.

I say this not having watched the latest one mind you.

1 hour ago, Treble said:

First time to witness the full firepower, ie destroy a planet. 

Don't they do that in Rogue One? I thought they did a couple of times. It's been a while since I've watched it though, so I may be completely wrong.

Honestly, the one thing that R1 did that I didn’t quite get was the single reactor shot - that alone was so ridiculously devastating and destructive that it leaves you thinking a full power blast is just overkill. May as well wipe out a continent and still have a planet of sorts left over than reduce the entire thing to rubble, seems rather wasteful.

6 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Honestly, the one thing that R1 did that I didn’t quite get was the single reactor shot - that alone was so ridiculously devastating and destructive that it leaves you thinking a full power blast is just overkill. May as well wipe out a continent and still have a planet of sorts left over than reduce the entire thing to rubble, seems rather wasteful.

Nope. The ability to destroy an entire planet, while clearly insignificant next to the power of the force, sends a message that is absolutely crystal clear: Obey, or be destroyed in a heartbeat. 

Man watching that clip really drives home how much heavy lifting the late great Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher (and the score of course) did to sell how terrible the destruction of Aldreraan was, despite special effects of the day only really being capable of showing a globe explode into sparks. Compare and contrast with the destruction of an entire solar system in TFA. I know which scene I find to be more effective.

19 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Man watching that clip really drives home how much heavy lifting the late great Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher (and the score of course) did to sell how terrible the destruction of Aldreraan was, despite special effects of the day only really being capable of showing a globe explode into sparks. Compare and contrast with the destruction of an entire solar system in TFA. I know which scene I find to be more effective.

Well, for me, the energy beam flying at the speed of a 747 when viewed from the ground, and yet faster than light in space, being visible to everywhere in the galaxy simultaneously, appearing initially to be a directed energy weapon before evolving into a sentient firework, ruined one of those two scenes you mention.

I have written that rather cleverly so as to disguise which film I am referring to......

38 minutes ago, Harsin said:

There’s a level of gravitas to it, that’s been completely missing from the latest trilogy. Nothing feels like it has any consequence in the new films.

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

There’s a level of gravitas to it, that’s been completely missing from the latest trilogy. Nothing feels like it has any consequence in the new films.

Exactly and then followed up with Alec Guinness as Kenobi really selling his force feeling that something terrible has happened.  Like you say gives it a weight the latest films come nowhere close to matching.

14 hours ago, JPL said:

I just had a thought. Wasn’t the first time they used the Death Star supposed to be in Episode IV, when they destroyed Alderaan? Doesn't Tarkin tell Leia she’s a guest at the ceremony that makes the battle station operational, or something?

Jeddah was called a mining accident and i doubt the Empire would say anything about Skarif being opening attacked and the destroyed. So i think its the first time its being openly announced and used as a WMD to control the galaxy. As opposed to being hidden and PR spun.

3 hours ago, McFly said:

Jeddah was called a mining accident and i doubt the Empire would say anything about Skarif being opening attacked and the destroyed. So i think its the first time its being openly announced and used as a WMD to control the galaxy. As opposed to being hidden and PR spun.

Why would Tarkin care about any of that in front of Leia though? He just wanted the location of the rebel base, then she’d be terminated. There was no need for any pretence.

38 minutes ago, McFly said:

Well he wouldnt care at that point as hes showing it off essentially to get what he wants. Im thinking more on a galactic scale when i mention spin or politics.

Sure, but my original point was that they’d just used the Death Star twice - which Leia would have been well aware of - so why’s he saying she’s his guest at the Death Star opening party? It don’t make no sense.