rllmuk

6 minutes ago, Gord said:

I really like the characters. You need to accept that the film pretty much takes place in a single day from the moment erso is released - how much growth are you expecting? It's a desperate race against time with galaxy wide implications.

I'd say there is development for all the characters anyway  - they all change in some way from when we first meet them to the moment they die.  It's all about each character finding something to believe in - getting the death star plans is about redemption for each of them. And it works for me.

Exactly. It’s pretty much a race against time and the characters still get time to breath.

It is great. I'd probably rank it behind TESB and ANH, but that's it. It feels like Star Wars, which is something I think all the other Disney Stat Wars films have missed. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It is great. I'd probably rank it behind TESB and ANH, but that's it. It feels like Star Wars, which is something I think all the other Disney Stat Wars films have missed. 

I was going to say that it’s probably the least Star Wars feeling film and that might be why people like it! I’m not counting the prequels, obviously.

It doesn't take place in one day though, there's loads of flying about the place and you see Erso at the beginning and then  the movies tells rather than shows that she's a bit of a nondescript  wrong 'un. Then she literally saves a baby to show she's "nice".

Diego Luna (playing Mr. Star wars name of almost Calrissian Endor) is bad at the start then doesn't shoot Madds for no reason and somehow falls in love with Erso.

K2-S0 is a good droid and has the best arc of anyone

Donnie yen is horribly wasted, his mate with a big gun is literally just that. 

Forrest Whittaker is... there and his mind sucking blob which apparently melts your brain just doesn't if you have a sit down in the worst jail ever so our fellow countryman can plug some things in later. 

Darth Vader kicking ass is "cool" but ultimately stupid given the way he walks in after the shooting in ANH, so why did he stop being a bad ass all of a sudden?

And yes the space battle is cool. 

I also think in general it makes the whole throwaway line of the effort to get the plans seem daft given what they were and how they get them and then get them to Leia is also filled with daft extra steps and makes all of her dialogue and interaction with Vader really odd.

It's a not bad "fun romp" and yes I realise jedi should have had wookies instead of ewoks but this almost seems like it is too 'safe' from Disney even in comparison to that. It's arguably "better" than jedi by virtue of time and money in regards to things like fight choreography and special effects but it's more boring because of it. For what the premise is on paper - mission to find death star plans - a heist movie would have made more sense or as a dirty dozen type war movie but it's more just some not bad star wars stuff. 

I'll leave it alone but thanks for the responses given and I'm glad I'm seemingly not missing something else. As a total aside, I saw it at the cinema with extended family and thought my dad was being a stick in the mud for not enjoying it but I totally understand where he was coming from, there's just not much to it but it's not painful or anything either. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, b00dles said:

I’m glad I'm seemingly not missing something else.

Hmmm. Not really sure what you expected people to say. Everyone else watched the same 130 minutes of footage as you. Do you think you slept through some bits of it that were objectively amazing?

It didn’t work for me on first viewing either. But I liked it more and more on each rewatch. Now I would place it firmly above everything bar the OT. And I liked all the same stuff as those who responded upthread: Madds, Felicity Jones, Donnie, Tudyk, Mendelsohn, the set pieces, Vader, lots of Mon Cal action, the Death Star warming up etc. etc. I also feel it’s more than the sum of those parts.

And making it work at all is quite the achievement for something with such a messy production history.

Give it another watch.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Which is odd cause I feel the exact opposite. Out of the 4 Disney films it feel the least Star Wars to me.

I rated it as a sort of 7/10 when I first saw it at the cinema. I watched it again at the cinema, and found the second watch was about the same as the first. But since watching it a couple more times at home I've warmed to it a lot. I think there are plenty of problems with it, but at its heart it's a proper Star Wars film. Though it's constrained by the canon, it does more creative things with the characters and designs than FA or TLJ. It's pretty dark in bits. And the space battle is ace - mainly because of the correct use of Y-Wings and Ion Torps. Yeah, it's grown in my estimation - I don't think it's ANH or ESB (or even ROTJ) good, but it's not a million miles away. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Which is odd cause I feel the exact opposite. Out of the 4 Disney films it feel the least Star Wars to me.

For me it's three things:

1. Being set just before the events of ANH with all the callbacks to the original film with the Death Star, Vader, the old X-wings, the Tantive IV etc

2. It calls back to the Prequel Films with Jimmy Smitts as Bail, Saw Gerrera and Mustafar being where Vader now "lives". I know people hate on the prequels but they are there in the chronology and therefore have a place (maybe at the bottom of everyone's list but hey).

3. It feels just like an Expanded Universe Book made into film. These books helped bridge that Star Wars downtime gap we had between the original films and the prequels coming out and therefore made up a big part of my Star Wars fandom growing up. They added detail and lore to the overall SW universe that my young mind craved at the time and I love that this film echoes a lot of that with its hotfooting between planets, its thrown together cast and even new evil Stormtrooper types like the Death Troopers.

It definitely feels like it was made for the old SW fandom and it is easily one of my fave SW films that Disney has so far made, hell maybe my fave after the original trilogy.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, jonamok said:

Hmmm. Not really sure what you expected people to say. Everyone else watched the same 130 minutes of footage as you. Do you think you slept through some bits of it that were objectively amazing?

It didn’t work for me on first viewing either. But I liked it more and more on each rewatch. Now I would place it firmly above everything bar the OT. And I liked all the same stuff as those who responded upthread: Madds, Felicity Jones, Donnie, Tudyk, Mendelsohn, the set pieces, Vader, lots of Mon Cal action, the Death Star warming up etc. etc. I also feel it’s more than the sum of those parts.

And making it work at all is quite the achievement for something with such a messy production history.

Give it another watch.

I do feel it does get better on repeat viewings. 

The opposite is true of force awakens and (yuk) the last Jedi 

• Upvote 4

Something something not even a fraction, something something break up, something something fill my new flat up with tat like there's no tomorrow.

I like the big hairy white creature at the back, you could only get him as part of one of those mulipacks though which Is always a pain, same with Saw!

Are the Bounty hunters black series?

16 hours ago, amc said:

Watching it now on a 65" with the sub whacked up. Up to when it's kicking off on Jedha. Fucking chills. Donnie Yen man.

It's a fantastic Star Wars film. I know this because when I watch it I get the urge to play with the action figures, like for the first time in 35 years. Something I only ever feel when I watch the OT.

It helps that I've got the full set if I go ahead. I'm 45.

20190813_150327.jpg

Nice stoor gatherers bro!

• Upvote 1

Yeah it's similar to that one posted, though not exactly the same, mine doesn't have his saber drawn. He was pretty cheap. I posted about it further up but I added several other large pics and then felt it wasn't very relevant and clogged up the thread so nuked the post lol.

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

You can tell she wanted to hide when Vader turned up but she already had a lovely cup of tea and had nowhere to run off to.

Dark Lord of the Sip

• Upvote 7