Glasgowchivas

On 15 August 2016 at 21:46, Goose said:

International Trailer with some extra/different footage - 

Loving this! I am confidently predicting this will be the third best Star Wars flick, after Empire and the original.

Also Star Wars Story would be the best title.

Finally rewatched the full trailer with cat distractions and totally hyped. See what people mean about Jones, but don't think the trailer's early soundbites help as they look more clipped together than her later bits. Anyway, she's a very watchable on-screen presence in other films so don't have too many concerns there (plus her character looks a little less wide-eyed and hopeful than Rey, which will be a nice contrast with TFA).

Otherwise, really keen to see what Edwards has constructed. Thought his version of Godzilla, much-maligned as it is in some parts, was really good, especially the sheer scale of it. Plus it looked beautiful - that HALO jump :wub: .As for Rogue's story, while we know the Rebels get the plans in the end, with an unfamiliar set of characters there will be a fair amount of jeopardy from not knowing who makes it out alive by the time the credits roll (not going to Google any of them just in case their Wookiepedia biographies or similar offer up spoilers).

Man, after the dust settled on the prequels, thought all the childlike glee towards Star Wars was all-but extinguished but it is so satisfying to be excited by the universe again and feel that sense of wonder. 14th December can't come soon enough.

On 16/08/2016 at 19:04, Vulgar Monkey said:

The delivery of that last line in this trailer seems different, not such a smug inflection. Dunno if its from a reshoot of the same scene or if they've just dubbed ver a line from another bit of the film, but it reflects better on her character imo.

Could just be a different take?

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Lol! I mean just Star Wars Story, everything else is pointless.

Well, maybe numbers would be okay. Star Wars Story, Star Wars Story 2, Star Wars Story 3 etc would be just fine.

Could make for a nice heartwarming trilogy about all the Star Wars coming to life as soon as Darth Vader leaves the room.

I think there is love, just not much discussion, but there isn't a great deal to speculate on. I think it looks good but from the trailers I don't see any characters I am going to like as much as those from TFA. Also disappointingly I think Vader is going to have a very fleeting cameo in the movie, although I hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Fury4k said:

People are a bit down on the trailer on here aren't they. What is it people didn't like?

Its not that there's anything I don't like, it's more that I'm very wary of prequels in general (given the built in story redundancy most of them have). This also swerves a bit close to all being fan service with not a whole lot that looks new, and major reliance on old touchstones like the Death Star and Vader.

I think I'm generally getting a bit franchised out, I'd prefer it if the Star Wars side movies told us the kinds of stories that you wouldn't get in a main movie, where it looks like this is a pretty standard Star Wars story and there's a chance they've reshot enough of it to remove the director's mark entirely.

I'll go see it, but I'm not feeling any real hype or excitement for the non numbered movies.

Yeah i can see all that, the franchise fatigue and the wariness of prequels in general. But hopefully they've realised that while the eventual outcome is known, the turns along the way and the ins and outs of who the characters are isn't. Hopefully the film will rely on characters as much as if not more than plot and so overcome the inbuilt limitations of its fate as a prequel. For what it's worth I think it looks great and although I liked ep7 a lot I welcome the break from the main characters storyline and all the expectations and dramatic requirements that has weighing down on it.