Nespresso

Duelyst - "Everything Hearthstone does, Duelyst does better"

2xYpTN8.jpg

By Counterplay Games

Play Now | Steam

Official Site | Wiki | Reddit | PC Gamer Primer

Release Date: August 23, 2016 (Steam)

ABOUT

DUELYST is the ultimate collectible tactics game. 

Head-to-head matches last between five and ten minutes, and focus on thoughtful decision-making and strategic positioning. Players are rewarded with new battle units every monthly season. 

Assemble your battle deck from over 400 cards across 6 unique Factions and test your mettle against other players online in ranked season ladder and draft mode tournaments.

Key Features

• Infinite Depth: With a tactical battlefield, positioning of your units truly matters. And with over 400 battle units, no battle will ever be the same!
  • Lightning-Fast Matches: Online matches last from five to ten minutes. Get your competitive fix anytime during the day!
  • Competitive: Play against players of equal skill on the monthly Season Ranked Ladder. Or compete in the Gauntlet Draft Mode, where the longer you last, the better the rewards!
  • Immersive Lore: Expansive codex and history spanning 30,000 years to uncover the mysteries of the denizens of Mythron. Jump down the rabbit hole!

Competitive head-to-head turn-based battles at its best!

IMAGES

Spoiler

tumblr_nkte2bCKlJ1rznluto1_400.gif tumblr_nkte2bCKlJ1rznluto4_400.gif tumblr_nl7pklU0ym1rznluto1_400.gif

sky-overpass.jpg

World_Shot_06.jpg

duelyst-artwork-01.jpg

4.jpg

tumblr_o2ukydWovF1rznluto2_250.gif tumblr_nw6jd8UKCY1rznluto1_250.gif tumblr_o2hqc5SDZw1rznluto1_250.gif tumblr_ny0orhF8LO1rznluto4_250.gif

tumblr_nvvad7BlUE1rznluto1_250.gif tumblr_o1bu7hxReb1rznluto1_r1_250.gif tumblr_o28hijCaza1rznluto1_250.gif tumblr_ny2w27CBmo1rznluto1_r2_250.gif

VIDEOS

Spoiler

While it is still technically in open-beta the game will 'release' to version 1.0 on April 27. Now I'm not much of a card game connoisseur (I've only played Hearthstone for a couple of hours) but I do like strategy and this seems to offer it in spades! You choose a faction, place your cards on a grid where units can then move around freely, you outsmart your enemy for a bit and after a match you get currency to unlock new cards which then allow you to build a better deck and so on and so forth. You get the idea. Basically if you mix The Banner Saga with Hearthstone you'd end up with Duelyst... I think? Turns go by fast and while there's obviously some RNG involved the tutorial and matches against the AI haven't felt unfair (so far). Obviously I've not even scratched the surface here but have already won my first online game just now, hurray!

So give this a try! It's free, looks gorgeous (seriously, how could you say no to those sprites?) and while I'd be the first to admit that a strategy game involving cards/deck building can feel a bit overwhelming, the short tutorial does a good job of establishing the basics and letting you then progress naturally. By the time you've had a few practice matches against the AI you're ready to go up against your first human opponent and take your first steps to world domination (add me to get rekt breh)!

I'm curious to hear what the residential Hearthstone players make of this? How does it compare? Is it any good? Is it for casual plebs? Validate my enjoyment please. 

• Upvote 5

Go through a few practice matches, earn some cards, open some Spirit Orbs and send me an invite!

They even have challenges set up which you can clear in about 2 mins each and do a very good job of showing you some more advanced tactics. 

12 hours ago, VN1X said:

Go through a few practice matches, earn some cards, open some Spirit Orbs and send me an invite!

They even have challenges set up which you can clear in about 2 mins each and do a very good job of showing you some more advanced tactics. 

Done! But of course, I'm off out for the rest of the day and probably won't be playing again until next week. I found it pretty enjoyable, although I'm sure I'll suck at building a deck, just as I do with all these things.

• Upvote 1

You should all add VN1X and challenge him, he is an easy target :) 

(also add me, same username as on here)

Cool game, whole different dimension to it thanks to the ability to move your characters across a board. Haven't built a deck yet cause I suck at that stuff too, but this one's quite fun! 

I've added him. Will challenge him soon. I've been thinking about this game, and I've realised I've no idea what the defence stat is for. Units takes damage equivalent to the attack stat of the person attacking them, no matter what their defence stat is, unless I've misunderstood what's been happening in the practice games I've played.

Edit: Never mind. I was being an imbecile.

Added everyone! Been getting my ass handed to me in practice versus Vetruvian so I decided to level that faction up now asap. It has some really nasty "wipe-your-best-units-off-the-board-in-one-go" type cards. 

Entropic_Decay.png?version=d8cdb5d50d77dDominate_Will.png?version=9d9dc7857055a0

I've only played a couple of practice games. I found the key to Vetruvian was to stay as close to their general as possible and crowd him/it, while taking out the obelisks as quickly as I could.

I had trouble against Abyssian, using the starter Lyonar deck. They just spawn too many units and I was overwhelmed really quickly. I read a post on the Duelyst forums that said the key was to use dispelling cards, but I don't have any in the default deck. Are people using custom decks for the practice games?

4 hours ago, Scribblor said:

I had trouble against Abyssian, using the starter Lyonar deck. They just spawn too many units and I was overwhelmed really quickly. I read a post on the Duelyst forums that said the key was to use dispelling cards, but I don't have any in the default deck. Are people using custom decks for the practice games?

Nah I just use the starter ones until I've levelled the factions a bit more and unlocked some more cards. 

I've only just created a custom deck for Lyonar (which I've named "The Unknown Pile") and am still adjusting it after every game lol. 

Okay, I've got another question. Might be me being an imbecile again, like I was with the defence thing, but:

I'm playing the practice matches, trying to unlock all the factions (still having trouble with Abyssian using the basic Lyonar deck), and each faction says x/10 cards unlocked. For Lyonar, for example, I've got 9/10 cards unlocked. But if I look at the Lyonar deck, I've actually got 11 different cards, and I can craft a load of different ones. Does the 9/10 mean cards I can unlock from practice, rather than how many are actually in the base deck?

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Finally (though it was only my third match so I'm not sure it counts as 'finally') beat Abyssian. My tactic was to stay close to the general and use as many buffing spells as I could get my hands on.

I've unlocked all the factions now, but apparently I still haven't completed 'Practice' so that I can play the solo missions. Do I have to beat each faction with each other faction?

Good game Scribblor! Looking forward to that rematch tonight.

Just bought 2 Spirit Orbs and got quite a few blues but no epic or legendary drops sadly. Regardless, just wanted to send some money their way as it'd be rude not to as I'm loving this so far! Everything from the artstyle and animations to the soundtrack and outlandish lore... it's all fantastic. Even the announcer is great. :D

35 minutes ago, Rev said:

What happens when it actually releases? Are things being reset?

From the reddit sidebar:

Q: Are there any more planned wipes?

A: No, there are no more wipes planned. Your collection is permanent.

Oh, good.

I might actually try to build a deck. I've no idea what cards I'm actually using match to match.

Good game VN1X. It seemed like it might be fairly close for a while, but you pulled away and ended up beating me quite soundly. I'll be back though! 

Omfg. I just had an online match where the guy had me on 1hp in like 4/5 turns. However during that time I kept growing a unit until it was all the way up to 24/24(!!), the exact same amount as his health. Cue him lucking out on a card which destroys that unit in one go. Yay... :lol:

That's 3 concedes for today. Yikes. 

So I tried to build two decks today.

They are called I have no idea what I'm doing #1 and IHNIWID#2

I think I also have to look up an online guide perhaps and build one based on that. So far it's very hit and miss, depending on how skilled the opponent is. Played a ranked game with my first deck, was pretty nice and I won. Then played another and got wiped off the board, the opponent still having 21hp (and he only sustained damage through attacking me, I never even got around to attacking him).