rllmuk
Nespresso

Enter the Gungeon - Advanced Gungeons & Draguns available now!

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Aaaah I'm getting more and more into this, it's so ace.  I had to turn off the controller look option though as the juddery scrolling it causes (in handheld mode at least) is super distracting. 

Anyway, I can routinely reach floor 2 now - man it kicks up a gear! So intense, proper heart pumping, andrenaline fuelled awesomeness.  Love it.   Those Lead Maidens are fuckers!! 

Have you turned screen shake off? I play it on the bus loads and don’t notice any scrolling issues.

Best tactic with the lead maidens I’ve found is stay in the centre and roll out as the arrows come back in. To be honest though, when you get used to them they are fairly easy to avoid, you’ll end up walking round the onslaught.

23 minutes ago, revlob said:

I finally managed to deliver the Old Crest and visit the second secret level today. The boss absolutely destroyed me though. :(

Did that a couple of days ago. It's a shame the game makes stuff like this so difficult it takes away any accomplishment. If once you'd opened the next level it stayed open without needing the crest it'd have made that section feel like you can progress instead of a very difficult slog that's time consuming.

I'd quite like a way to practice bosses, I find the skills you need for them are so different from the gungeon rooms leading up to them (apart from maybe a handful of bullet-hellish configurations) that it's hard to make the mental leap and I often get destroyed even if on a good day things go a lot better.

3 hours ago, frumious said:

I'd quite like a way to practice bosses, I find the skills you need for them are so different from the gungeon rooms leading up to them (apart from maybe a handful of bullet-hellish configurations) that it's hard to make the mental leap and I often get destroyed even if on a good day things go a lot better.

I used to think that, but now I like it, it’s part and parcel of EtG’s unforgiving nature. Basically the only way to practice bosses is to get good (and/or lucky!) and fight bosses. Which is how it should be.

For example, I remember when I used to think The Beholder was completely impossible, now I cheer when I see it as I know I’ll get a master cartridge from it (mostly).

You're probably right.  I think actually I'd be a bit happier if the early rooms were a bit harder, I begrudge having to take a while to work through them (obviously you need to clear the whole map for completeness) despite the initial lack of challenge (a few RNG spikes aside).  And, of course, I suffer from extreme Videogame Inventory Hoarding Syndrome, I won't use anything but the starting gun unless it's a boss, Just In Case :rolleyes:.

• Upvote 2

Unless it’s an obvious boss gun like Stinger/Commando/Composite etc, I switch from the marine pistol as soon as I get something else now. I find the game gifts you ammo for using weps, so unless you are desperate you may as well use them. You also learn the cool tricks, like using the serpent shotgun to lay down water and electrify it with the shock rifle.

Plus, the marine pistol is decent enough in its own right, it’s no hardship if you get stuck with it.

• Upvote 1

61 deaths it took me, that was only my second encounter with the final boss and maybe only the third or fourth time I've reached the fifth level.

Items that grant increased movement speed rank pretty highly on my priority list, if I ever get a choice. Being fast (or making enemies slow, which is why Spice is awesome) makes a huge difference to my survivability.

I've still not seen the 'true' ending; I've yet to assemble the Bullet. My next job is to see if I can beat the game with some of the other Gungeoneers.

Googling Gungeon lead me to the Reddit, and reading about Rainbow chests. There are people saying they have played 500+ hours and never seen one. 

I’ve played around 50 hours and seen 2 - maybe the RNG gods smile upon me? Although I was only able to open one, as one of them was locked in a room and naturally I had no key. -_-

0.0333% chance any chest is a rainbow, according to the wiki. So seeing two is quite good going! I've not seen one yet, although I have encountered a glitched chest, and the odds of those are nearly as low.

I must have around 100 hours on it and have seen a glitched chest 3 times, rainbow once.

actually, is there a way to see how many hours played on PS4?

3 hours ago, revlob said:

They take you to a special level where the only room contains two Beholsters. If you beat them, you get a load of guns.

Man, I don’t like the sound of that if you get it on the first level.

Jesus, the game's hard enough (I don't think I've ever got to the fifth level), and then there are so many ways of making it even harder!  Never even heard of that rainbow mode, I think I'd die on the first floor.

Had some £3 in gold coins credit to use up which was going to expire shortly.  I bought this on the eshop yesterday even though I have it on Steam.  I think I'm enjoying it more on the Switch.  It's lovely bite sized gaming which I can pretend to spend time with the missus while she watches whatever she watches on the tv.  Switch/10

Edit:  Actually after further play weapon switching on the Switch is no good, as I have to take my thumb off of the stick to switch weapon.  While I can easily move and switch on the fly on PC.  Not sure if I can reconfigure the Switch controls to make it more easier.

I've been getting much better at this recently. I think it's a familiarity with most if not all of the enemy and boss types, the ability to predict their firing patterns and move accordingly that means I'm making a lot fewer mistakes. I've defeated the end boss a small handful of times now, and last night I killed the Marine's past!

My success is still largely dependent on the items I find, however. I've unlocked so many and still only seen a portion of them, but I do have a few favourites that have really helped out on a couple of runs:

Guns:

Face Melter - Aside from looking totally awesome, the reload ability doubles your bullets for free for the whole room.

Luxin Cannon - This one just has really good stats, and isn't particularly rare. Make sure to use the last bullet in the chamber as often as you can.

M1 - If you have a good aim, this is a common gun that deals out a lot of damage and penetrates enemies.

Crestfaller - Not especially powerful, but has a very useful freezing effect that slows down enemies.

Items:

Spice - This stuff is amazing. Each time you eat it, you get a stat increase, and it appears more frequently in the current run. The first two times it gives you bonus health too, but each subsequent use takes one heart away. It's usually worth it, though.

Yellow Chamber - Two extra hearts, faster firing speed, and will often charm an enemy in the room, all for the price of a small amount of Curse.

Jetpack - This is an interesting one. It's an active item you can toggle at any time without a cooldown, and while it's on you are flying and have increased movement speed, but you can't dodge roll. Dodge rolls are vital for certain encounters but having the freedom to ignore pits, spikes, poison, etc. is very handy at times. You can also cheat at the shooting gallery! Wax Wings are better, but less common.

Helix Bullets - There are a lot of bullet upgrades, but this is one of my favourites. Every shot becomes two, and they travel in a helical pattern. Each bullet does slightly less damage, but if both hit then you've got a 32% damage increase, which is really good.

• Upvote 5

Does the game ramp up in difficulty with your perks? I had this set up the other day:

02A7B7DE-D15A-4877-85A2-B5B10AA0D36C.thumb.png.f8702a1a8e08d8daaabf07a9b476a5e5.png

That’s right, SIX extra heart containers so I’m on 9 total, a glorious weapon loadout, extra armour each floor, auto blanks defence, the no fall damage amulet, and the powder I wanted to take to the Forge lady.

And the Forge became impossible. I was getting hammers all over the shop, two of those annoying laser skeletons apiece...I didn’t even get there. I’m used to that level being tough, but it was ridiculous.

Or I might have just imagined it, because of the pressure of having so much great stuff making me careless. :(

• Upvote 1

Three master chambers, nice.

The only real game-altering stat is Curse, which increases with certain items and actions, and can increase the odds of encountering "Jammed" enemies (they have a red colouration and deal a full heart of damage with their attacks). It does some other stuff too, but you've got to be accruing a lot of it to suffer any noticeable effects. You probably just got hosed by the RNG.

Yes, it sounds like it.

Speaking of curses, I am cursed with bad luck on the duelling laser, having had it three times and never yet managed to fire it in anger.

First time I didn’t know it recharged like items, and I spanked it in the chest room, then died before it recharged. Then I got it again, and fired it to test if it would recharge if I dropped it and picked it up again. It doesn’t - and I died before it recharged.

I just picked my third one up, and saved its charge until the third floor boss room. And of course the game crashed as I entered the room, wiping my game.

How do I stop playing this game? I was given a copy of Mario Rabbids for my birthday over a month ago and I’ve not put it in the Switch yet, it’s all just Gungeoning.

I’ve seen the boss dragon a few times now, still not beaten it but been very close. I’ve also got one of the bullet bits to the Forge lady too, so, you know, progress etc.

@ZOK Have you played Crypt of the Necrodancer?  I've put a scary amount of time into that since I bought it recently, and I'd rank it right up there with Gungeon.  Just.  One.  More Go.

As for Gungeon I'm still yet to get any further then the 4th boss (30hrs playtime and counting).

No I haven’t, although I do like the look of it. But I’m not letting myself look at alternatives until this is dead to me. And I’ve not even played Breath of the Wild yet, so once it’s done I’m planning on staying away from this sort of game for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 1

This is also starting to come together for me - I left it for a while not long after it came out, but the last week or so I've been sucked right back in, and I'm starting to get some really interesting gear synergies, which I think is where the game really shines (because there isn't a huge deal of variety in the dungeon / enemy layout). Not always great synergies, but almost always interesting ones that change the run significantly - but rarely with the frustration you often find in Isaac.. And whenever I think I've landed a killer combo, I invariably get taken down a peg. The other day the shooting range chest warped me to a boss room with two sodding Beholsters and their out-of-sync eye beams, that was a laugh.

I've made it to the fourth boss a few times - the tank took me a while to crack, but I can usually wipe that out now - but I haven't come close to victory. That quick restart, though, and the promise of a fresh bunch of pickups - it's fatal. And I reckon I've still got 50% of the items to unlock, which suits me just fine. Fantastic game.

• Upvote 1