IGNORED

Enter the Gungeon - Advanced Gungeons & Draguns available now!

Nespresso

Always go into the oubliette through the fireplace, always look for secret rooms in the chest rooms and buy all keys you find. 

Then again, it depends on where you are in the game. I've unlocked everything in the main room and most endings now so when I play through with my mate we never open brown chests really and will restart if we don't have the keys for the oubliette and don't get the extra heart on the first boss.

Often use bigger guns when you first go into a room on the harder floors then switch back to a more normal gun so you don't waste all your ammo on the basic bullet enemies for instance.

While writing this I realised that a lot of it is dependant on what you're doing. Early doors we'd just specifically be trying to get the robot, or complete the challenges for the guy to the right of the lobby area. Sometimes that can be less stressful than specifically trying to "finish" it. 

Some of the extra floors I find make things harder for you as well, that's why I only mentioned the oubliette. The r&d boss is quite annoying and the one through the tomb (opened with the shield) is often a bit too moody unless you happen to have got a good something quite early. 

One thing that is a shame is that there are a lot of basically totally rubbish guns that are then just a waste to find unless you happen to get a synergy (or look up what you need for it blah blah).

That's why brown and occasionally  green (or blue, can't remember off hand what the next one up is) chests get smashed as Sir Junkalot is way better to play the long game for than getting a shit gun you'll never use. 

Edit: even reading that back again, if you're really early in the game, then you should probably open all chests anyway just to get used to what things do and it also depends on how you play as you can get not bad assist items from the brown chests...

You can get decent stuff out of the green chests, blue & brown are smashable for sure.

Having said that, since I started playing again I haven’t seen Ser Junkan once, am I doing it right? I just shoot the chests and collect the junk, iirc he’s a chance find?

Of course now they seem to have those chance chests, they pop up all the time.

I almost beat the Dragun with the pilot, picking up some very sweet unlocks along the way, and when I died it crashed and froze, showing the weps from my previous aborted first level run instead.

D8DC7944-FC68-4AFB-B61A-BEA132542D5C.thumb.jpeg.bb8155bed459c92f276e3ad3199d463a.jpeg

Typical! :quote:

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

What gungeoneers do people favour? I am loving the pilot at the moment, he just seems generally luckier - I picked up Ser Junkan on two back to back runs with him yesterday.

My go-to gungeoneer is the hunter. I like her crossbow for the first couple of floors and her rusty pistol is one of the more solid starter weapons. 

The dog helps for extra economy too, of course.

That’s interesting. What I like about the pilot though is while he starts off with a shit weapon, it doesn’t matter because you can rinse the first two levels with anything (unless you get Ammoconda!).

But he seems extraordinarily lucky, getting keys thrown at him left right & centre, he carries a lock-pick as well as a spare slot so you can have 2 active items if you drop the lock pick, and his mask makes items much cheaper to buy, so if you are relatively lucky on the first two floors you can get a great loadout.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2021 at 08:46, ZOK said:

What a crew! What a heist!

Sadly lads, from this point we go our separate ways…

I had a bit of a posse going earlier too.. Was desperately destroying chests I probably shouldn't have done to try and add another into the mix.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.74c6605bd11745236589da00ce9f1621.jpg

I first bought this about five years ago thinking I'd love it and kept struggling to get into it for one reason and another. Couldn't get a control layout that didn't feel awkward, runs felt very samey at the start (not sure how much that's changed after all the generous updates) and I kept getting annoyed at my lack of ability to see when I was in danger of falling down a pit/realise when I'm on fire/notice an enemy has spawned right on top of me etc. I still take way too many annoying hits due to that stuff but on the whole it's really clicked with me lately.

I should've been sensible and played something more sedate today since I only got an hour of sleep last night but instead.. I got my first Dragun kill!

Clipboard02.thumb.jpg.b2bf6dfcf626c6e01f00ed4dbe6211f8.jpg

Probably a good advert for letting things play out in roguelites rather than starting over since I didn't play particularly well, didn't have weapons I was all that into, didn't have any real synergies yet I still somehow muddled though the Dragun and managed to deliver three of the four bits to the blacksmith. I got bailed out right at the death though, died when he only had a tiny bit of health left only to be very surprised at reviving with full health.. Upon Googling it turned out the pig that had been following me around was good for something after all :lol: 

That is a sweet team!

I finally got the last bit (Planar Lead) to the blacksmith the other day, unlocking the Alpha and Omega bullets.

Then I got killed on the Dragun, and because I’d quick started the game froze, which seems to be a permanent bug on the Switch. So the unlocks were wiped. :angry:

Wow, considering all the great updates they've done it seems mad there's a bug as bad as that still in there.

I wonder how many otherwise good runs I've had to sacrifice for the shortcut guy now. Normally I wouldn't bother since they don't tend to be worth the effort in these games but people seem to think the items that also unlock are really good, though I can't imagine you get them massively regularly? Now trying to get the Hollow one with the five keys and 240 gold. The last quest where I gave him the four junk ended up being pretty fun since at that point in the game I wasn't going to win and had also picked up Casey for the first time so just sacrificed the rest of my health as batting practice. I can see how that weapon could be amazing if you get the hang of it.

30 hours in I've also made a final (?) change to my control scheme, putting items on L2 and the map on square since I constantly fuck up using items in the heat of the moment having to take my thumb off the right analog, especially ones like Daruma which should be great in theory but just make me take more hits in practice. It does make warping pretty awkward but I figure it's better to wrestle with the controls outside of combat if you have to at all..

• 2 weeks later...

I am now slightly less terrible at this, having beat a normal run through once. 

My main issue is the same with all rogue likes. The difference in fun between getting some decent items and rubbish ones is astronomical. I just restart if there isn't anything worthwhile on the first level. 

On 26/07/2021 at 12:36, Rsdio said:

Wow, considering all the great updates they've done it seems mad there's a bug as bad as that still in there.

It happens without QuickStart too - I got this lock up after dying on the Pilot’s in-the-past space battle. Needless to say, my armoury was a little more impressive than the game shows to get me to that point! This was actually what I was carrying on a previous aborted run:

A5911974-F85D-4256-91A5-90F2396A1BB3.thumb.jpeg.1fa3f27f8f809a5a0dceec0ad70ceaa5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that bug would absolutely do my nut in.

Been back to this again in the last couple of days, managed to deliver the final bullet piece (donut thing from the shop) and open the fourth chamber shortcut. First run after that I decided to give the hunter a long overdue rest, went with the marine and got the freshly unlocked Gungine on the first floor. That one seems to be up there with the Daruma in the 'so good it actively harms my chances' stakes since I then proceeded to take one hit on each of the bosses after that due to not being used to the increased movement speed.

Despite that I did make it to the Dragun and beat it, assuming that was that and 'killing the past' was just a different cutscene you got at the end. Turns out that it isn't but at least I unlocked the 'die in the past' achievement :lol:

It was a close run thing though and I might've done it if I hadn't felt the urge to confirm that the red bits of floor were essentially lava in that boss fight.

Decided to have a few hours on this, was about at the point of sacking it off because I wasn't playing well and wasn't having luck with chests either but I'm glad I stuck it out since I've finally killed a past after fifty hours! Think I was maybe more pleased at doing the Dragun without taking damage though since I'd been getting annoyed with myself taking hits on bosses all day. I fear him a hell of a lot less than the wall, that's for sure.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.a3188b1cfd2e411a1ac89208a93f2ae0.jpg

Next up I guess I'll try the hunter since that's who I've used the most.