Enter the Gungeon - Advanced Gungeons & Draguns available now!

Nespresso

I haven't played for a while, and everyone will get different unlocks, but I think one of the best for beating bosses is the Black Hole Gun - you can use that to suck up all the bullets on screen while switching to something else to do damage. Au gun is great for pummelling bosses, despite limited ammo and slowish-reload.

Favourite to play with is the Unicorn Horn, just for the tune!

I always end up looking for things on the EtG wiki - it's great if you're not bothered about spoilers or are far enough through that the only spoiled stuff will be the things that you'd never find on your own. It shows how much love went into the game, e.g. all the synergies.

• 1 month later...

When I first played it - couldn't see what the fuss was about, but now it's become one of my all-time favourites. 

I've been playing Going Under, Atomicrops and Hades - they all seemed good but then you pick up Gungeon again and I genuinely get this crisp feeling, like opening a ice cold can after work on a Friday. The controls are so tight and responsive -makes the other games feel muddy and weighted down. Hope there's a proper sequel.

• 4 months later...

Just been reading through this thread, what  memories! I may have to go back to this, I don’t think I ever played it after the updates.

They did three major ones. The last one added a load of stuff, but my favourite is the synergies - so many delightful things from having one gun and then finding something else that interacts with it to create something new. There's so much love gone into this game.

Oh yeah, ok I knew about those. I haven't played it for a long old time so I didn't know if there were new ones. I suck at this game. I can't get very far despite playing it for a fair old while. I never really got a decent sense of progress.

My problem always seems to be that I seem to reach a natural wall around Level 4 (sometimes on the Level 3 boss too) and I just can't seem to progress no matter what guns I get. A lot of this was before the updates so I might go back and see if they've tilted it towards the player's favour a little. With Isaac, you'd sometimes just get ridiculous combinations of power ups that would care you to the end regardless of skill. Always felt like I would need that to finish Gungeon with just one character, let alone all the other stuff. 

It's really risk Vs reward all the way through, do you sacrifice a bad gun and then find out it would have combo'd with something else down the line? Do you use your best gun even though you may need it for the boss?

Once you get Ammo management right -that seems to make things a lot easier. In general I'd say try to use up all of one weapon as there's a good chance you'll get a refill for 1 gun.

It really is a special game!

I find that the starting weapon (for the Marine at least) is easily good enough until Floor 3 and I try to only use that. Even then, for regular enemies you can probably use it all the way until the Floor 3 boss.

Obviously, bust out your special stuff for an early boss if you need to. 

I started playing this again, and to begin with I was hopeless, I couldn’t even get past the first bosses! All my pattern memory had gone, I was falling down holes, rolling off edges, the works.

Started to get the hand of it again though, and on my current save I’m just starting the fourth level (didn’t manage to perfect ANY of the three bosses though, shameful), love some of these new setups. Was double wielding AK47s in it before?

God help me, I’m completely addicted to this again, what a game.

I am so shit though, I still haven’t made it to the Forge, I’ve no idea what my tactics were for the Wall boss at the end of lvl 4 but they are lost to the mists of time it seems.

Also I used to get Master chambers for bosses 1,2&3 pretty reliably, I think I’ve picked up a Master chamber twice. :(

I just wish the devs wern't so up themselves with the whole 'Git Gud' thing and allowed for some difficulty adjustments. I can sometimes get to the final boss but then die just before i've managed to kill them. Let alone trying to do a run with a special item to get the proper ending. Just being able to reduce damage slightly or double my hearts, anything would have been enough for me to enjoy the game so much more. Instead they decided they wanted to gate keep the fun of the game to only those that either a) want to pour tens of hours in or b) have the skills needed. Shame.

36 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I just wish the devs wern't so up themselves with the whole 'Git Gud' thing and allowed for some difficulty adjustments. I can sometimes get to the final boss but then die just before i've managed to kill them. Let alone trying to do a run with a special item to get the proper ending. Just being able to reduce damage slightly or double my hearts, anything would have been enough for me to enjoy the game so much more. Instead they decided they wanted to gate keep the fun of the game to only those that either a) want to pour tens of hours in or b) have the skills needed. Shame.

The things that you're complaining about are what bring most fans to this genre. The fun comes from figuring out the systems and learning how to deal with situations, persevering through all the tough stuff til you realise it's not so tough anymore.  That IS the rogue genre. If you've already fought the Dragun several times, then you've already done most of the hard work - it's just a matter of becoming more familiar with its patterns.

I wouldn't say the devs have a "git gud" mentality either.  Most of the balancing they've done since the original release has made the basic run easier to win, while adding more challenge to the optional / endgame content. 

57 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Do you buy the expansions or are they just added in patches? Played this for the first time ever last night via gamepass and it seems pretty decent. 

It's all free updates. 

13 minutes ago, donpeartree said:

The things that you're complaining about are what bring most fans to this genre. The fun comes from figuring out the systems and learning how to deal with situations, persevering through all the tough stuff til you realise it's not so tough anymore.  That IS the rogue genre. If you've already fought the Dragun several times, then you've already done most of the hard work - it's just a matter of becoming more familiar with its patterns.

I wouldn't say the devs have a "git gud" mentality either.  Most of the balancing they've done since the original release has made the basic run easier to win, while adding more challenge to the optional / endgame content. 

I’ve not found it any easier! ^_^

The only noticeable thing for me is that heart pieces seem to get dropped a bit more often than they used to.

I just got to the forge with an amazing load out (Owl, The Exotic gun, Baby Good Mimic and a gun combo that unlocks chests to name but four) and got rinsed. Although the synergies could be described as making it easier I suppose, if you understand them.

59 minutes ago, donpeartree said:

Yeah i totally disagree with all of this. The devs have previously stated they won't put in easier modes (difficulty, more health, etc etc) because they only want good players to finish their games. Whilst you may argue the rogue genre is meant to be tough there is zero argument for not allowing all skills to play. Having difficult levels does not ruin the game for you, it just means i can enjoy it more. What is easy for you, may still be tough to me and difficulty levels mean a game can still be a challenge to you even if you are less skilled. You can still balance for a difficulty but games should be available for all, i certainly love the idea of games like The Last Of Us 2 or Ghosts of Tsushima allowing non gamers to be able to play to just enjoy the story without fear of a brutal difficulty stopping them from enjoying just that part of the game. Don't forget not every player is physically as capable as you or i either and thats another reason to have different skill levels to account for those players too.

I've got to agree. I love this game but it is too hard for me. Having said that, the resurrection of the thread is making me want to try again. I think level 4 was about as far as I could get on a good day.

Brilliant game though.

3 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Yeah i totally disagree with all of this. The devs have previously stated they won't put in easier modes (difficulty, more health, etc etc) because they only want good players to finish their games. Whilst you may argue the rogue genre is meant to be tough there is zero argument for not allowing all skills to play. Having difficult levels does not ruin the game for you, it just means i can enjoy it more. What is easy for you, may still be tough to me and difficulty levels mean a game can still be a challenge to you even if you are less skilled. You can still balance for a difficulty but games should be available for all, i certainly love the idea of games like The Last Of Us 2 or Ghosts of Tsushima allowing non gamers to be able to play to just enjoy the story without fear of a brutal difficulty stopping them from enjoying just that part of the game. Don't forget not every player is physically as capable as you or i either and thats another reason to have different skill levels to account for those players too.

Quote?

What is "easy" to me was very tough for me before, but you get over it with time, perseverance and patience.

You can have fun with a game while also finding it challenging/difficult. I have no problem with difficulty options (as you say, it makes no difference to me how you play a game), but as I said before, if you're able to get to the Dragun several times, then you're already most of the way there.  The difficulty curve is built into the game.

And even if there was an easy mode, what would you actually gain by blasting through it? It's like going on a rollercoaster but taking some kind of drug so you don't feel the speed/motion. Sure, it would make it easier to manage, but you're kind of defeating the purpose of the rollercoaster.

20 hours ago, Ketchup said:

You talk about difficulty options like the devs just tick a box and they magically appear in the game.  If the devs want to make a game that's designed around a certain level of difficulty (and they can make it work financially), they should be allowed to do that.  There aren't zero arguments for this, not all games are for everyone for a variety of reasons, it's perfectly valid for difficulty to be one of them.

I don’t think the difficulty should be amended, personally - the difficulty is what keeps you playing. I’ve been to the final boss stacks of times but never beaten it, and that’s how it should be, because I didn’t play well enough.

Having had a break from it for a long while, I’m now much worse again! :quote:

7 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

You talk about difficulty options like the devs just tick a box and they magically appear in the game.  If the devs want to make a game that's designed around a certain level of difficulty (and they can make it work financially), they should be allowed to do that.  There aren't zero arguments for this, not all games are for everyone for a variety of reasons, it's perfectly valid for difficulty to be one of them.

I’ve worked in game dev, I know it’s not as easy as pushing the easy mode button but with planning in advance or even just simple tweaks it can be quick and cheap to do. Let’s take a game like hades which has a god mode that many players even here used so they could continue enjoying a tough game, that’s a simple implementation. How about Celeste which is a brutal game but can be tailored for all skill levels so anyone can enjoy it at a level they find comfortable, it doesn’t take away from it being an awesome and challenging game if that’s what you want it to be. Devs can do what ever they want with their game, doesn’t mean it’s right the right choices. But ok let’s hear your arguments for less player choice and why that’s a good thing to have.

You know Microsoft make a tonne of money, so let’s throw that adaptive controller in the bin because they can make enough money without needing disabled gamers to be able to enjoy their games. Not all games are for everyone after all. Sony also make a lot of money, so let’s throw away options like subtitles for hearing impaired, colour options for colour blindness and why not throw in QTES not requiring precise timing because they also don’t need to cater for gamers who need those to help them enjoy games more. Nintendo make loads of money too so let’s throw away their multiplayer modes where the game plays through the difficult section for you, gives you invincibility or allows you to be in a bubble whilst a second player gets through the challenge because they also don’t need those gamers to enjoy their games. Screw them, if they’re not good enough at games then it’s their own fault right?

Difficulty comes in many forms than just git gud. You don’t even need to make it complex, like hades with it’s god mode or Nintendo with their invincibility feather. It could be as simple as, players health is double, attack damage is halved etc. Adding these options in does nothing to take away your enjoyment of the game and I can’t see any logical argument for not allowing all players to be able to join in the fun. You can still tailor your game to what you want but adding in extra options to help players doesn’t ruin your game (unless perhaps during a competitive multiplayer game where the advantage could mess with that) so who cares. It’s not like if I play hades with god mode on ive ruined the enjoyment of your game. All games can be for everyone, certainly Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft think that with all the stuff they are doing so even non gamers can enjoy their games.

I agree with most of what you've said there Ketchup (if accessibility options can reasonably be made available, then why not?) but why do all games have to be made for everyone? I'm not talking about accessibility here, I'm talking about types of game.

You wouldn't say that all films should be made for everyone (I hope). A film like Primer has quite a complex plot that is quite difficult to follow, but putting the work in can be satisfying. But saying it should be simplified takes away from that. The film should have subtitles / language options / audio descriptions for accessibility, but at some point, if you don't want to put the work into understanding the plot, then maybe the film just isn't for you.

18 hours ago, Ketchup said:

But ok let’s hear your arguments for less player choice and why that’s a good thing to have.

That isn't what I'm saying, I think that's pretty obvious from the comment you quoted.