rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

Haha!  What you talking about? :D I post everywhere...ish!

Donkey Kong Country - nah, it's piss easy.  Maybe not now, after not playing it for years, but back then I had been playing Super Mario Bros, 2, 3, World, Super Mario Land, and Super Mario Land 2 by the time Donkey Kong Country came out.  I didn't think it was a patch on them and, while fun, it was super-easy compared to all the Mario games.  I liked the level where it goes dark every other second, but I found that if you turn the contrast (or was it brightness?  One of the two) up you can actually see the scenery and characters easily.  I did get tricked by the false ending, but only the once.

As for football games, you see no FIFA there, right?  That's cos I didn't rate Super NES FIFA, and as much as I liked Megadrive FIFA more, it didn't have "it" for me.  So I went and got International Superstar Soccer - to me it was far more realistic.  The sequel, ISS Deluxe, was much much better.  Loved that game.  Used to modify the Nigerian team to resemble Ghana, just cos.  Although before that, I think, I got World Cup Striker, cos it had good reviews, and it was the World Cup (USA 94), etc.  Good game, but suffers from the fact that once you find a sure-fire way to score, you can score again and again and again and again, even on its hardest level.

Street Fighter - so I used to visit an import pop-up shop in Croydon (in the "In Shops" centre, if you lived in Croydon in the 90s you'd know where I mean).  They were great at getting US and JPN games and letting anyone play them on their import console for as long as they want (they had an import copy of Super Mario Kart that played... oddly, as in the race would start on the amber instead of green, for some reason which I think was related to the fact that it was a US copy running on PAL, but I digress...).  They got Super SFII as soon as it hit US stores, and at that time it looked like the PAL version wouldn't even grace UK stores (something about Turbo totally underperforming saleswise).  Anyway, because I was a frequent visitor to the point that they knew me, they wanted to sell it to me with a converter (the one that was essentially the Action Replay with the Action Replay bit stripped out), for something like £50 all together.  So I took it.  Best decision I made (although the converter ended up stopping working so I went and got a newer one that you plugged both carts into at top).  Of course, Super SFII did eventually come to UK stores as PAL version but this was waaaaaaay after the release in the US (I think a whole year) and I think very unlike Turbo which I think came out in the UK (granted in HMV Oxford St only, initially) before the US.  Although I could be misremembering the exact details, but it was well after.  Anyway, all versions of Street Fighter II were top-notch conversions, unlike Street Fighter Alpha 2, which as I said before played fine but if you look at it Capcom had clearly compromised heavily everywhere - I suspect that they actually had to heavily compress the speech and the sprites to fit into memory because the pause just before a round started and as it ended (on the last hit) was reminiscent of Batman Forever which if I remember correctly had "Loading..." messages due to it compressing the sprites down big time.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yeah, check out Skills McThumbs up there.  It's a pretty hard game!  Smoothy, I think this is the first time I've seen you post outside of a Windows thread.  I like it.  Post more tales of your retro gaming exploits.

Even I was a bit confused as I can't remember the last time he ventured into the retro room if at all. 

I went through DKC and Mario World back in the day and certainly didn't finish them all within a day each. Mario World had all its secrets that too a while to work out. I finished it but it was the all the star world levels (if I got that right) that I had to work out how to access.

It's been a while since I returned back to the SNES and I feel I need to get on some of the games I never did manage to play of which there are a fair few. I never did actually play DKC2 of the three and wouldn't mind going through the trilogy. Might start that up at some point. Are those android boxes alright for this sort of thing regarding emulation? A mate of mine has a fairly cheap one and I was going to grab one for TV/Movie use, but had wondered about emulation.

On 8/30/2016 at 13:22, kempstar said:

Im trying to decide whether to play through Terranigma or Earthbound. Not played either before, they both look great. Any thoughts?

Terranigma is amazing. A beautiful little tale, amazing music and great, fluid gameplay. Probably one of the best ARPGs of all time. 

Earthbound is also great. A little difficult to start with, I had to grind to level 8 early then it was smooth sailing. I found the game immensely charming and enjoyable to play through. The music is so out there too, totally unique and it still feels it today. Really clever open world feel too. It's basically seamless for the most part. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

I went through DKC and Mario World back in the day and certainly didn't finish them all within a day each. Mario World had all its secrets that too a while to work out. I finished it but it was the all the star world levels (if I got that right) that I had to work out how to access.

With me I'd already played the previous Mario games to death so I knew my way round quite well, and the save game feature just made it too easy to progress.  I remember the day I bought it I was playing Super Mario World and in the evening I got stuck on Chocolate Island 3.  So I went to bed and woke up the next day around 9:00-9:30am and realised that it had actually just been covered by GamesMaster very recently (which I had on tape, amazing timing!) so I watched it and passed that level, and finished it later that day.  Can't remember how I accessed the Star Levels but I do remember discussing it with schoolmates during Maths a day later.

Mario World is an easy game to get the credits to roll, always was, but getting all 96 exits was tough.

For me the best football games are Kick Off 3 and J-League '96 Dream Stadium. The former needs an adjustment to the silly default settings that basically auto kick in crossing zones. The latter is similar to ISS but doesn't feature stupidly hard keepers. You can't really score realistic goals on ISS. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, nakamura said:

For me the best football games are Kick Off 3 and J-League '96 Dream Stadium. The former needs an adjustment to the silly default settings that basically auto kick in crossing zones. The latter is similar to ISS but doesn't feature stupidly hard keepers. You can't really score realistic goals on ISS. 

I just had a look at screenshots for J-League '96 Dream Stadium - looks like they just took Fighting Eleven (the JPN release of ISS Deluxe) and applied J-League localisations to it.  Not bad!

I used to play on the hardest level on ISS Deluxe.  Yes, granted the keepers would hold onto virtually all shots (without spilling or parrying it) but IIRC you had to really catch the keeper unawares in order to get him to drop the ball after a shot.  Long bendy shots, or obvious shots when in sight wasn't ever going to cause a "max level" keeper to not grab onto the ball but you had to be really creative and use stuff like the stepover before changing direction acutely and immediately taking a shot, with "aftertouch" (in particular when in a crowd of defenders) - that usually unsighted the keeper enough to cause him to drop the incoming shot, possibly enough for you to get your striker to slide in there to poke it in.

I just found it totally frustrating. In Kick Off you can slide a low shot in from range after a good passing move. In ISS the keepers just seem to be unbeatable for real actual football shots. The rest of the game is great apart from that. Long range goals are possible when you swerve and guide it under the keeper or over with a bounce. Rebounds too but these just aren't fun goals to score. 

Special console indeed. My favourite ever.

Fondest SNES/SFC memory is starting playing FF6 AKA FF3 US version, on a snow day - firing up THAT intro and first village, after trudging through the snow to get home from the closed school that day. Oh boy.

The amount of all nighters me and my teenage mates would pull, fuelled by SF2 and Mario Kart. I don't think any other game has had that effect on me. I Slightly regret missing out on some of the deeper single player games such as Zelda and Metroid but the carts were so damn expensive.

Apologies for the double post. Cannot get my other pics uploaded. 

Anyway, currenty playing Spike McFang and that is a lot tougher than I thought. Still not beaten the first proper boss!

Taken a few years ago. I do have the boxes, but I don't keep the games in them.

Also ignore the shitty game in the bottom-left corner, it's not mine, in college some bloke borrowed a couple of issues of NMS from me and failed to give them back, so gave me that shitty game in compensation. The little fucker.

DSCF4480.JPG

• Upvote 3

Thought I'd post a list of my current collection. Over the years I've owned and sold loads more than this. All boxed and ranging from very good to minty fresh. A fair amount is signed!:

Akumajo Dracula (Super Castlevania IV)

Assault Suits Valken

Bahamut Lagoon (Signed/Toriyama)

Dragon Quest VI (Signed/Horii)

Dragon Quest III Reprise (Signed/Horii)

Dragon Quest V (Signed/Horii)

Final Fantasy V (Signed/Kitase)

Final Fantasy VI (Signed/Kitase)

Front Mission (Signed/Hashimoto, Shimomura)

Front Mission Gun Hazard

Gaia Sensouki (Illusion of Gaia/Illusion of Time)

Live A Live (Signed/Shimomura)

Ogre Battle

Prince of Persia

Super Mario RPG (Signed/Shimomura)

Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana)

Seiken Densetsu 3

Romancing SaGa (Signed/Kawazu)

Romancing SaGa 2 (Signed/Kawazu)

Romancing SaGa 3 (Signed/Kawazu)

Soul Blader

Star Ocean (Signed/Yamagishi)

Street Fighter II Turbo (Signed/Shimomura)

Tactics Ogre (Signed/Yoshida, Minagawa)

Tales of Phantasia

Treasure Hunter G

Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure
Super Aleste
Super Mario World

Super Metroid

Tenchi Sozo (Terranigma)

Yoshi's Island

• Upvote 3

Love a good SNES thread. I've just downloaded the spreadsheet of my collection, so I thought I'd post my SNES games so far.

SNES (PAL)

ActRaiser

Addams Family, The (cartridge only)

Addams Family, The: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt

Addams Family, The: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (cartridge only)

Adventures of Dr. Franken, The (cartridge only)

Alien 3

Bubsy in: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind

Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage

Cybernator

Disney's Aladdin

Donkey Kong Country

F-Zero

Fever Pitch Soccer

Flintstones, The: The Treasure of Sierra Madrock

Goof Troop

Home Alone (cartridge only)

Hook (cartridge only)

Judge Dredd

King Arthur's World

Kirby's Fun Pak

Krusty's Super Fun House (cartridge only)

Legend of the Mystical Ninja, The

Lost Vikings, The

Magic Sword

Magical Quest, The: Starring Mickey Mouse

Mickey Mania

Pierre le Chef is Out to Lunch

Pilotwings

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Plok

Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures

Skyblazer

Street Racer

Super Aleste

Super Castlevania IV

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (cartridge only)

Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Super Metroid

Super Probotector: Alien Rebels

Super SWIV

Tetris & Dr. Mario - Super Classic Serie

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!

Zombies

SNES (NTSC)

Illusion of Gaia

Legend of Zelda, The: A Link to the Past

Mega Man X

Secret of Mana

Super Adventure Island

Super Star Wars

Super Famicom

Beauty and the Beast

Dinowars: Kyouryuu Oukoku e no Daibouken

Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shogun Magginesu

Ganbare Goemon: Kirakira Douchuu

Hoshi no Kirby 3

Kirby Bowl

Magical Taruruuto Kun: Magic Adventure

Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken

Mickey to Donald Magical Adventure 3

Miracle Girls

Shadowrun

Shounen Ashibe: Goma-chan no Yuuenchi Daibouken

SimCity

Space Funky BOB

Street Fighter II

Super Bomberman 3

Super Bombliss

Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy

Super Donkey Kong 3: Nazo no Krems Shima

Super Mario: Yossy Island

Super Puyo Puyo

Super Soukoban

Xandra no Daibōken: Valkyrie to no Deai

• Upvote 4

OMG Super Aleste!  I love that weapon-crazy game.  Unfortunately I never owned it, so I.... er... got the ROM on PC.:blush:

I remember there was a similar game by the same developers on the Mega CD, sort of a similar game but nowhere near as good.

On 8/31/2016 at 20:22, Smoothy said:

Haha!  What you talking about? :D I post everywhere...ish!

Donkey Kong Country - nah, it's piss easy.  Maybe not now, after not playing it for years, but back then I had been playing Super Mario Bros, 2, 3, World, Super Mario Land, and Super Mario Land 2 by the time Donkey Kong Country came out.  I didn't think it was a patch on them and, while fun, it was super-easy compared to all the Mario games.  I liked the level where it goes dark every other second, but I found that if you turn the contrast (or was it brightness?  One of the two) up you can actually see the scenery and characters easily.  I did get tricked by the false ending, but only the once.

When DKC came out it looked amazing. I didn't actually end up buying it but borrowed it from a friend.

I completed it but i always found it a bit of a shallow experience. The music (and graphics) where my favorite bits but i just felt it lacked the amazing level design of the Mario games and i never really struggled with the difficulty either . I never did go and play DKC 2 and 3 though - even though i've been told DKC2 is a great game. 

Yeah, you're right, the level designs didn't really tax the brain in the same way the Super Mario Bros. games did.  Looked great though, and all around the time the Megadrive was tailing off.

2 hours ago, Smoothy said:

OMG Super Aleste!  I love that weapon-crazy game.  Unfortunately I never owned it, so I.... er... got the ROM on PC.:blush:

I remember there was a similar game by the same developers on the Mega CD, sort of a similar game but nowhere near as good.

Compile were supreme kings of the shooter, and Super Aleste is a SNES masterpiece. 

Gun-Nac on the NES, the Power Strike games on the Master System and Game Gear, GunHed / Blazing Lazers on the PC Engine, Musha and Robo Aleste on the MD and Mega CD... Every one is a balanced, expertly designed, technically marvellous classic in my book (though I have a softer spot for the earlier ones).

But yeah, Super Aleste is up there with the very best. Awesome bloody game.

Complaints about DKC's level design do my head in.  I swear it's some sort of weird internet revisionism.  Go back and play it.  Honestly, it has some brilliant ideas in there. 

• Upvote 2

It has some good ideas for sure but the levels aren't perhaps as expansive and varied as Mario. DKC2 though has shocking design and really isn't a very good game at all. Ugly and frustrating.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Complaints about DKC's level design do my head in.  I swear it's some sort of weird internet revisionism.  Go back and play it.  Honestly, it has some brilliant ideas in there. 

No one said it's rubbish.  I thought at the time of release (so clearly not internet revisionism) that it's simply not as varied or as challenging as the Super Mario Bros. series of games.  I still hold that view now.

19 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

No one said it's rubbish.  I thought at the time of release (so clearly not internet revisionism) that it's simply not as varied or as challenging as the Super Mario Bros. series of games.  I still hold that view now.

On Mario you can save anywhere, on DKC you have to push for Candy's Save Point on each new area or else it's bye-bye progress.

Just trying to formulate my Xmas gift to myself strategy: 60hz PAL SNES with a SNES2HD.

1 hour ago, dataDave said:

On Mario you can save anywhere, on DKC you have to push for Candy's Save Point on each new area or else it's bye-bye progress.

On Super Mario World you can save anywhere (EDIT: although someone else said only after completing a castle, sounds about right, little details like that are hard to remember, sorry) - not on Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3 (the original NES incarnations, that is).  And I finished the former in a day too.  However, all the Super Mario Bros games seemed more varied and more gratifying.

I thought DKC2 trumped DKC1 in every department. The secrets, the soundtrack, the level designs... It's probably the hardest platformer I've ever played as well.

DKC3 was pish, though.