rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

8 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah, I got SNES Sim City (or borrowed) and even though i played the Amiga version to death, the SNES one was even better.

I secretly hoped it would get a updated re-release or something but it never has. The fact it could change seasons, replaced godzilla with bowser, introduced Mr Wright (who was in the GB Zelda Links Awakening), great Nintendo music and loads of Nintendo stuff in game. It was awesome.

Loved Sim City on the Super NES. Bought it in 1997, for about a tenner a few months before the Nintendo 64 came out when Game heavily discounted their Super NES games. I'd played Sim city on the Amiga before, but this was more entertaining, even with the additions being relatively minor. Never did build a megalopolis or get the Mario statue, but still had plenty of fun building cities. Miss those console-ised versions of home computer games you used to get back then, some where real improvements over the computer versions. 

On 4/9/2016 at 9:22 PM, Nathan Wind said:

I tried it too and while i didn't have that glitch (International) it did freeze in the club selection menu.  I can't get it as far as playing a game.

Had a good afternoon on this today and discovered a few great games.  I'd highly recommend checking out DoReMi Fantasy and Magical Pop'n'.  Both really good platformers, the latter playing like a super cutesy Castlevania.  I had a nice long session on ActRaiser as well.  What a great game.  I've played it before but didn't get very far with it. 

Got this sorted by putting my SNES in to 50hz mode

My console is an unmodified Super Famicom, so it's entirely possible that the problems are due to the 50hz/60hz difference for me I guess.

Bit of a necrobump but I've (hopefully) got a nicely yellowed taped up super famicom coming so I did a search for this thread.

So many happy memories of when I had my snes. I got it with money from selling my trumpet and totally worth, I was never gonna be a jazz musician.

Main game I had with it was Super Tennis - still the best tennis game ever. I remember dropping £65 on SF2 Turbo in a funky tin at the local video shop and queueing up outside comet to by Starwing (when I was 13). I'm quite excited to see how it all looks in glorious 60Hz. I'm in for a treat yes?

• Upvote 1

Bump away.  All these single format threads are great for bumping up when there's a new flurry of activity.  Just you wait until I have a good sesh on the Jag again.  It'll be glorious.

I was playing Super Double Dragon again a few nights ago.  It's like Coryoon on the PCE for me.  Every time I fire up the SNES for a game of Mario Kart or Castlevania I just have a quick go on SDD first and end up playing it for an hour.  I still need to buy Starwing, Vortex and Stunt Race FX.  The SD2SNES doesn't do those games, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Tonight I was dismayed to find that my PAL Super Game Boy does weird things on a Super Famicom, so I've just ordered a Japanese one on eBay and spent much of the night playing Unirally - still brilliant - and Hagane - still difficult.

It's a funny one for sure.  There's no way of knowing what's up ahead, so throwing out stunts and hoping for the best is the way to go when first approaching a track.  To improve/win the later medals requires a few goes so you get at least some idea of what to expect and when you can safely trick.  There's something very satisfying though in landing a decent combination of tricks and seeing your little unicycle edging in front.  

I really like it.  

Edit: are you playing for bronze medals?  If you've using an original cartridge and someone has completed eg, bronze and silver, you could be aiming for gold, which could explain the difficulty?

I remember being really rather good at Unirally when I was younger, as mentioned above, you never knew what was coming next, (although I am sure there is some kind of unexplained marker system in the tile set) you just had to learn the courses and get better :P

I've gone back to it several times since then and just can not get on with it, baffles me how I spent so many hours playing it when I was younger but can't get anywhere now :(

On 20 July 2016 at 08:46, Camel said:

Edit: are you playing for bronze medals?  If you've using an original cartridge and someone has completed eg, bronze and silver, you could be aiming for gold, which could explain the difficulty?

Nah, playing from a clean ROM (no saves) on a flashcart. I think you nailed it with the not knowing what's coming up. A combination of that and the split-second timing required to maintain a top spot means it's all about learning the courses and/or spending scores of hours getting the brain and thumb honed to react. All well and good when you're sixteen and only have three SNES games to play. Right now it's competing with hundreds of other games and a dearth of spare time and I can't be fucked with it when I could be playing Coryoon, basically.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure it requires that much dedication tbh.  I got through most of the bronze levels I played first time and most of the silvers too.  Only a few required more than one replay.  

On 20/07/2016 at 07:36, Nathan Wind said:

I'm obviously missing something in Unirally. I got about five races in and started to find it controller throwingly frustrating.

One of my faves on the SNES especially as i recall picking it up for 15 quid or something at dixons.

I replayed it a while back on a emu and really enjoyed it... if anything it's too easy until the next 4 tourneys show up. The only issue is once you have tried all the game modes then there really isnt much more too it and it gets a bit repetitive. Still, it's not bad.

I played Unirally properly for the first time with a house mate back when I lived at home around six years ago. I remember a steep learning curve however it was all thoroughly rewarding. My mate who I was playing with kept talking about how his other mate used to be a demon at the game. 

Not played my SNES all year this year until this month's play of Illusion of Gaia. I'd never finished it before and went through it in a week. It's still so damn good! The themes in the game, despite the age seem to outstrip a lot of modern rpgs. Feels quite mature. 

No playing The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang. Never owned that back in the day and boy is it hard! 

• Upvote 2

On 14/07/2016 at 17:31, ScouserInExile said:

I have Starfox, it was pretty much top of my "I used to have that" list when I set about rebuilding my collection. Its rubbish. It has a certain charm, graphically, but the gameplay just isn't any good.

Awww man, this is harsh. I'd say that Stunt Race FX has aged much worse than Starfox. Sure, it isn't as good as the N64 version on reflection, but you can certainly still have fun with it.

Earthbound I haven't yet played but Terranigma I did go through a couple of times back when it was new and I thought it was great. I think the first time I played it, I got stuck thinking I was supposed to visit someone about some ginseng in a japanese looking village, however it wouldn't progress. Turned out that I had to visit a lake and hadn't done, which I then found out when returning back to it after a restart. I also remember finding the last boss rock hard, some sort of flying light coloured bird thing which I finally just about managed to beat, but was then gutted when the ending crashed. Bear in mind I had a copy of the game on my Wild Card so that might have had something to do with it. I'm pretty sure it was similar to Illusion of Time/Gaia in terms of it being all action orientated. Can't remember if you level up or not.

Demon's Crest and EB are both games I want to play. I've seen the beginning of DC a few times where you start by fighting a dragon, but haven't fully played though it properly. It felt very much like a castlevania stye game and from what a friend of mine was saying, the final boss is infuriating. I'd rather not think about that though.

I just found this thread! :D

For me the Super NES is the best console ever.  I still have mine.  Such great memories.  I remember going into Dixons and asking for a "Super Nintendo with Mario 4" - of course the idiot there didn't know what I was talking about, so I reiterated "Super Nintendo with Super Mario World (idiot)" and I got it.  In those days, items would come without a plug (the law forcing all companies that sell electrical items to sell them with plugs didn't come in till a few years later IIRC) so I had to get my dad to wire one up.  Anyway, Super Mario World - best game ever (at the time), just about beating Super Mario Bros 3.  That said, I completed it in a day and found all the levels in 4 - I blame the battery-back-up save feature cos it made it too easy now.

I also remember getting Street Fighter II Turbo.  It was Sept (can't remember year, 1993?) and obviously all the mags were jizzing over the Street Fighter II sequels coming to consoles - IIRC the Megadrive was getting Champion Edition and all the SEGA mags were crowing over it, right up till NMS previewed Super Street Fighter II Turbo the next month (with the words "Who needs Champion Edition now?").  Anyway, I turned up to HMV Croydon asking about the release date and they said it's actually out that day in HMV Oxford Street (yes earlier than planned and definitely way earlier than the Megadrive version, which had subsequently morphed into "Special Champion Edition" - with Turbo added - and was delayed as a result), so I rushed onto a train and went into HMV Oxford Street and picked up one from a pile on the wall upstairs (they had a launch ceremony for it earlier).  £60 - wow.  Best £60 I spent!

Probably the best social moment I experienced with the Super NES was when I took it to Uni in 1996, with 5 controllers and the multitap and a whole load of us would pile into my room and play 5-player Super Bomberman 3.  Amazing!

Even towards the end of it's life it was still getting games I wouldn't have expected it to get.  Donkey Kong Country was jaw-dropping, although again this was too easy as I completed it in a day.  Killer Instinct - never thought it would see the light, and with all characters too (I think the developers were rumoured to be dropping characters like Cinder and certain moves but in the end all characters and all moves made it).  And Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Capcom must have really squeezed this one in cos the graphics and sound were fairly ropey, and the start and end round freeze was well annoying, although it played fine - also I think it was rumoured that Nintendo said that they could develop for the upcoming N64 if they ported another big arcade game to Super NES.

I think the last game I got for it was Pilotwings (yes one of the launch games!) - I got it from Gamestation in Bradford for cheapo, despite that by that point I'd moved well onto the PlayStation.  Great game.

All the games I have:

Super Mario World

Yoshi’s Island

Super Mario Kart

Super R-Type

International Superstar Soccer

International Superstar Soccer Deluxe

World Cup Striker

Street Fighter II Turbo

Super Street Fighter II

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Smash Tennis

Super Wrestlemania

Super Bomberman 3

Donkey Kong Country

Killer Instinct

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters

Earthworm Jim 2

Mortal Kombat II

Super Mario All-Stars

PilotWings

• Upvote 9

Yeah, check out Skills McThumbs up there.  It's a pretty hard game!  Smoothy, I think this is the first time I've seen you post outside of a Windows thread.  I like it.  Post more tales of your retro gaming exploits.