Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

You can't use an RGB cable for NTSC systems on a PAL machine, 60Hz mods don't make a difference here.

The best you can do is sync on luma, and hope it doesn't work. Perhaps Rob was talking about use cases related to scalers and such in terms of compatibility issues?

38 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

You can't use an RGB cable for NTSC systems on a PAL machine, 60Hz mods don't make a difference here.

The best you can do is sync on luma, and hope it doesn't work. Perhaps Rob was talking about use cases related to scalers and such in terms of compatibility issues?

OK, so if I understand you correctly, for my PAL SNES which is 60Hz modded, I should get the PAL RGB SCART cable with Sync on Luma, designed specifically for PAL systems, and it should work on my PAL system, even despite the 60Hz mod?

I'm not sure if Rob was referring to scalers or modern displays. I may ask him and clarify.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Thanks for the offer - I'm currently chatting with Das about getting a modded system. :)

However, I need the forum's knowledge.

I'm getting a 60Hz fixed PAL SNES, which I will be using an FX PAK PRO on (already arrived in the post - too bad I have no SNES to play it on).

What SCART cable do I get?

Obviously I wanted to go with Retro Gaming Cables. I've bought three of them before (GC, SAT, MD), and they are all perfectly. good quality. Lovely stuff.

So I was thinking Luma Sync RGB SCART for the PAL unit. (Keep in mind the NTSC and PAL systems require their own bespoke cables.)

But Robert at RGC says that some customers report the PAL RGB SCART with Luma Sync does not work with a modded PAL console. He can't verify this though.

Thinking about it... Wouldn't a 60Hz fixed PAL system basically be an NTSC system, in which case I'd need the cable specifically for NTSC systems?! :wacko:

Basically, I'm getting a PAL SNES which has been 60Hz modded. Could someone just tell me what the absolute best RGB SCART cable option is, for use on a CRT TV? I don't want to buy a cable which doesn't work. :(

Try your GC cable first.  I seem to recall using the same RGB scart cable on both my NTSC SNES and PAL GC. Don’t think it worked on my PAL N64 though. 

6 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Try your GC cable first.  I seem to recall using the same RGB scart cable on both my NTSC SNES and PAL GC. Don’t think it worked on my PAL N64 though. 

I had heard  they're not compatible so didn't even consider it, but cheers - if it worked for you, then I'll give it a go. :)

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Now on to more important matters. Why a PAL SNES locked to 60Hz?

Well, I dislike the way a US SNES looks, and I dislike the pads (lack of colours is confusing, and the indented buttons are wrong), so that was out. And while I know of a guy locally selling a Super Famicom, I'd need to buy the extras (power adapter, pads, etc.).

So I reckoned I'd buy a PAL SNES cheaply and mod it.

The one I bought on eBay was terrible - broken pads, smelled of cigarettes, and Super Metroid was a bootleg, meaning I overpaid. So I sent it back.

Then I thought I'd just buy one from CEX and mod it. But the local shop had sold the SNES which I saw last week.

So then I wore an onion on my belt, which was the fashion at the time.

I contemplated ebay again, browsing NTSC models and PAL, and then I thought... I don't like buying off eBay, better to get one off the forum.

By this point I was fed up of trying to find one in decent order, and I was starting to get cold feet about modding it (I did one, once, years ago, and it was fine).

And it turns out I saw DAS saying he had "stuff" to offload. So I PM'd him and it was cheaper to get a PAL 60Hz fixed system rather than one with switches.

Ultimately I sort of came this conclusion via a fiddly road. Mainly I was just tired of searching and wanted something to use my FX PAK PRO on. It sits, as I type, forlorn on my table.

Sadly some of the good stuff is PAL-optimised and might run a little weirdly for you on that setup. I remember PAL Super Metroid's ending theme finishing at the wrong time when I forced it into 60hz years ago, but then it can't have been that bad if I didn't notice until I'd finished a run!

Edit: sorry, missed the bit about the FX Pak Pro and assumed this would be a region-locked machine!

Is any of it PAL-only though?

I just got my FX Pak Pro up and running, incidentally and have been playing Yoshi's Island. I've had a PAL copy of it sitting around for years, but I use a SFC and it won't run on that.

I’ve picked a shitty time to enter this I guess, but I personally use a Japanese Super Famicom and it’s really not that difficult to set up. For power, you just need a spare power adapter from a UK Megadrive. It’s the right power delivery and works a treat!

My SFC isn’t modded in any way either - I’ve got a SD2SNES plugged into it (the forerunner to the FX Pak Pro) and mostly play the US SNES ROMS on it.

In case anyone does decide to use a Mega Drive PSU with a Super Famicom (this is my current setup, too), make sure you use the 'Model 1' kind! The Mega Drive 2's adapter won't fit, as I found to my dismay. :P

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

Well, I dislike the way a US SNES looks, and I dislike the pads (lack of colours is confusing, and the indented buttons are wrong), so that was out. And while I know of a guy locally selling a Super Famicom, I'd need to buy the extras (power adapter, pads, etc.).

So I reckoned I'd buy a PAL SNES cheaply and mod it.

The one I bought on eBay was terrible - broken pads, smelled of cigarettes, and Super Metroid was a bootleg, meaning I overpaid. So I sent it back.

Then I thought I'd just buy one from CEX and mod it. But the local shop had sold the SNES which I saw last week.

So then I wore an onion on my belt, which was the fashion at the time.

I contemplated ebay again, browsing NTSC models and PAL, and then I thought... I don't like buying off eBay, better to get one off the forum.

By this point I was fed up of trying to find one in decent order, and I was starting to get cold feet about modding it (I did one, once, years ago, and it was fine).

And it turns out I saw DAS saying he had "stuff" to offload. So I PM'd him and it was cheaper to get a PAL 60Hz fixed system rather than one with switches.

Ultimately I sort of came this conclusion via a fiddly road. Mainly I was just tired of searching and wanted something to use my FX PAK PRO on. It sits, as I type, forlorn on my table.

I can relate to this. 

My SNES is a stock PAL unit which I looked to installing a 50/60hz switch into, as reasonable nick, fairly priced NTSC consoles seem to be tough to find and about 70% of my carts are PAL (some of which are definitely PAL optimised).

I ended up buying a mod board which seems to have everything a PAL console might need, but it's low on my list of console projects to tackle.

https://www.consolesunleashed.com/product/super-nintendo-multi-region-supercic-uigr-region-patch-mod-kit/

I also came to realisation that I'm not all that fussed about a SNES flashcart (despite almost pulling the trigger on an FXPAK PRO during the sales last year); I just want to play the carts I reacquired in the late '90s.

14 hours ago, Camel said:

Is any of it PAL-only though?

There is, to my surprise, quite a lot of PAL exclusives on the SNES!

The best are probably Terranigma and Cannon Fodder. I spent hours, and hours on Cannon Fodder, using the SNES mouse. I never got past that one jeep stage, where you need to run it off a cliff and jump out before it explodes.

Stolen from Reddit:

Spoiler

PAL only

Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun

Archer Maclean's Super Dropzone

Asterix

Asterix & Obelix

Cannon Fodder

Daze before Christmas

Dino Dini's Soccer

Dirt Racer

F1 World Championship Edition

FIFA Road to World Cup 98

Humans, The

James Pond 3: Operation Starfish

Jelly Boy

Kevin Keegan's Player Manager

Kick Off 3: European Challenge

Lucky Luke

Manchester United Championship Soccer

Marko's Magic Football

Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament

Power Drive

Putty Squad

Sensible Soccer...???

Smurfs, The

Smurfs, The: Travel the World

Spirou

Super Dany

Super Dropzone

Super International Cricket

Super Morph

Tintin in Tibet

Waterworld

Winter Gold

World Masters Golf

Worms

Yogi Bear’s: Turbo Toon

JPN & PAL

90 Minuet European Prime Goal

Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension

Dragon Ball Z: La Legende SAIEN

Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden

Dragon Ball Z: Ultime Menace

F1 Pole Position 2

Firemen, The

Hebereke's Popoitto

Hebereke's Popoon

Hungry Dinosaurs

Kick Off

Mega-Lo-Mania

Might and Magic II

Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy

Pop'n TwinBee

Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures

Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods

PowerMonger

Sailormoon

Smash Tennis

Super Bomberman 3

Super Ice Hockey

Syvalion

Terranigma

Theme Park

Virtual Soccer

Whirlo

World Class Rugby

15 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Sadly some of the good stuff is PAL-optimised and might run a little weirdly for you on that setup. I remember PAL Super Metroid's ending theme finishing at the wrong time when I forced it into 60hz years ago, but then it can't have been that bad if I didn't notice until I'd finished a run!

Edit: sorry, missed the bit about the FX Pak Pro and assumed this would be a region-locked machine!

I've got a modded SNES, but I don't quite know how so this might not be universal.

But in 60-hz, Stunt Race FX refuses to even run.

Showing as out of stock.

I might get one of those at some point to hook up to my LCD screen for when I'm too lazy to sit in front of the CRT. My CRT set-up is perfect now I've added the FX Pak Pro to my SFC. Previously, I was using an old Double Pro Fighter which as well as letting me load up games via floppy disks*, also acted as a fairly reliable import adaptor for PAL cartridges (but didn't work for Yoshi's Island) and allowed me to play US cartridges. I have a PAL unit too, but can't be arsed setting it up just to play the odd PAL game. 

*the archaic nature of which I still strangely enjoy, so I'll be hanging onto that particular relic

On 18/12/2020 at 15:57, Nick_L said:

Regarding in-cart expansion chips

The SNES was architected from the beginning to take advantage of this and offset processing away from the main CPU (just like the famicom) - one of the earliest 'tech demo' titles Firefly (which became Pilotwings) used an in-cart expansion chip (DSP-1) The SA-1 chip used in some of the later games like Kirby Super Start and Mario RPG is more powerful than the main CPU in the console itself.

It's entirely possible that if a raytracing focused expansion chip was released during the consoles lifespan we would have titles released taking advantage of it

I don’t think anyone answered but the reason for your 60hz SNES issue is that it is putting out some horrid hybrid tv signal. 60 Hz refresh, Pal colour encoding, NTSC color signal frequency. If you want colour you will have to change the colour signal carrier freq from 3.58 MHz to 4.43 MHz (I think off the top of my head). 

The ntsc consoles are putting out fully compliant ntsc signals which pretty much all modern TVs understand fully. 

2 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I don’t think anyone answered but the reason for your 60hz SNES issue is that it is putting out some horrid hybrid tv signal. 60 Hz refresh, Pal colour encoding, NTSC color signal frequency. If you want colour you will have to change the colour signal carrier freq from 3.58 MHz to 4.43 MHz (I think off the top of my head). 

The ntsc consoles are putting out fully compliant ntsc signals which pretty much all modern TVs understand fully. 

Oops quoted wrong post. 

15 minutes ago, Dudley said:

They've been out of stock for months.  Analogue are only interested in making the Pocket PC Engine now.

But actually Stunt Race FX will also only work on PAL on an NT. (the UK cart of course)

Whoosh! 

14 minutes ago, Sketch said:

For those using FX PAK PRO, what size of cluster do you format your Micro SD card to? 32kB?

Also, did anyone have any trouble setting up the DSP or BSX emulation?

Yeah 32k is fine for the card. 

You need to have the relevant bios/bin files in the sd2snes folder on your card for the expansion chip support to work (newer firmware supports Super Gameboy 2 as well)

I can give you a copy of mine if that helps

4 minutes ago, Nick_L said:

Yeah 32k is fine for the card. 

You need to have the relevant bios/bin files in the sd2snes folder on your card for the expansion chip support to work (newer firmware supports Super Gameboy 2 as well)

I can give you a copy of mine if that helps

Cheers! :) I grabbed the DSP stuff off a website, it's all in ROM format, not BIN, will be testing shortly. May PM you later.

Did you get the Super Gameboy 2 to work? From what I saw it's still in the experimental beta stage, and not yet officially integrated into the download package for the cart.

I am tempted to start jamming on GB games, right now, but not if they're buggy or prone to flaking out.