Jump to content

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

The SNES CPU is handling the logic, the coprocessor is rasterising primitives to memory on the cart, the SNES' PPUs are rendering that memory as tiles,

 

Even the NES used mappers for extra functions. It makes no sense to make such a black and white distinction for... well, I dunno why you'd care.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve dug out some old consoles that haven’t been touched in years with a view to selling them at some point.


My JPN N64 (no RGB mod) and GameCube both produce a colour picture on my HDTV using the scart socket and a standard unmodded scart cable.

 

Using the same cable with my UK SNES (running a USA copy of SMW, via an enlarged cart slot and 60hz switch) I get a black and white picture. Anyone know why this might be the case? It runs in colour on my old CRTV.

 

Appreciate that using a HDTV isn’t ideal, but if I DO sell the consoles, I assume that’s what most people would use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding in-cart expansion chips

 

The SNES was architected from the beginning to take advantage of this and offset processing away from the main CPU (just like the famicom) - one of the earliest 'tech demo' titles Firefly (which became Pilotwings) used an in-cart expansion chip (DSP-1) The SA-1 chip used in some of the later games like Kirby Super Start and Mario RPG is more powerful than the main CPU in the console itself.

 

It's entirely possible that if a raytracing focused expansion chip was released during the consoles lifespan we would have titles released taking advantage of it

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 12:53, drob4 said:

I’ve dug out some old consoles that haven’t been touched in years with a view to selling them at some point.


My JPN N64 (no RGB mod) and GameCube both produce a colour picture on my HDTV using the scart socket and a standard unmodded scart cable.

 

Using the same cable with my UK SNES (running a USA copy of SMW, via an enlarged cart slot and 60hz switch) I get a black and white picture. Anyone know why this might be the case? It runs in colour on my old CRTV.

 

Appreciate that using a HDTV isn’t ideal, but if I DO sell the consoles, I assume that’s what most people would use.

 

My initial thoughts are that the HDTV doesn't support PAL 60. Might be worth googling the TV model.

Link to post
Share on other sites

NTSC cables use multi out pin 3 for csync, PAL puts 12V on the same pin.

 

Using an NTSC cable wired for csync with a PAL console would be bad news.

 

That the cable works with a non RGB modded JPN Nintendo means it’s prob using composite for sync. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2021 at 14:59, Colonel Panic said:

RGB isn’t PAL or NTSC. 
 

What cable are you using? 
 

What is you flip the SNES to 50Hz?


Cheers for the replies on this. It’s a composite cable, flipping the Hz switch just increases/decreases screen size. TV is a Samsung a T28D310EW. 
 

Update: PAL carts will play in colour at 50Hz. Assume this is a case of the TV not being able to handle the composite NTSC signal? Incidentally, was the frame rate on Starwing really as bad as that? First time in years I’ve played it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

By the gods, when did repro carts become so common?

 

I paid a high price for a SNES on eBay with Super Metroid, and the cart turns out to be a repro! Only bid so high because it was included. Have since returned it.

 

Now I've got an FX PAK PRO in the post, but no machine to play it on (though am sourcing a replacement).

 

Also pads. Everywhere I look it's no-name brandless generic 3rd party crap from China. 20 years ago when I was collecting SNES this stuff didn't exist. Now the junk is everywhere. :unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, drob4 said:


Cheers for the replies on this. It’s a composite cable, flipping the Hz switch just increases/decreases screen size. TV is a Samsung a T28D310EW. 
 

Update: PAL carts will play in colour at 50Hz. Assume this is a case of the TV not being able to handle the composite NTSC signal? Incidentally, was the frame rate on Starwing really as bad as that? First time in years I’ve played it...


This is a weird issue because the console is what encodes the colour into the composite signal, the game shouldn’t matter. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sketch said:

By the gods, when did repro carts become so common?

 

I paid a high price for a SNES on eBay with Super Metroid, and the cart turns out to be a repro! Only bid so high because it was included. Have since returned it.

 

Now I've got an FX PAK PRO in the post, but no machine to play it on (though am sourcing a replacement).

 

Also pads. Everywhere I look it's no-name brandless generic 3rd party crap from China. 20 years ago when I was collecting SNES this stuff didn't exist. Now the junk is everywhere. :unsure:

If you're after a snes, I can probably find one for you here, unofficial PSU, but official pad, £45 delivered if in the UK ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the offer - I'm currently chatting with Das about getting a modded system. :)

 

However, I need the forum's knowledge.

 

I'm getting a 60Hz fixed PAL SNES, which I will be using an FX PAK PRO on (already arrived in the post - too bad I have no SNES to play it on).

 

What SCART cable do I get?

 

Obviously I wanted to go with Retro Gaming Cables. I've bought three of them before (GC, SAT, MD), and they are all perfectly. good quality. Lovely stuff.

 

So I was thinking Luma Sync RGB SCART for the PAL unit. (Keep in mind the NTSC and PAL systems require their own bespoke cables.)

 

But Robert at RGC says that some customers report the PAL RGB SCART with Luma Sync does not work with a modded PAL console. He can't verify this though.

 

Thinking about it... Wouldn't a 60Hz fixed PAL system basically be an NTSC system, in which case I'd need the cable specifically for NTSC systems?! :wacko:

 

Basically, I'm getting a PAL SNES which has been 60Hz modded. Could someone just tell me what the absolute best RGB SCART cable option is, for use on a CRT TV? I don't want to buy a cable which doesn't work. :(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.