rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

13 hours ago, filecore said:

Any comments on the Pound HDMI adaptor as a cheap way to connect to a flat screen? Passable?

I figure I might as well sell my SNESs and put the proceeds towards a Analogue Super NT if I spend more than $30 on a lead. Something I might do it the future though.

get a super nt and never look back.

its amazing

10 hours ago, ulala said:

get a super nt and never look back.

its amazing

I'd have to recommend a MiSTer over Analogue products these days.

DE10 Nano costs £106 

128MB SD Ram board costs about 50-odd quid

If you're not afraid of tinkering it's a no-brainer. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

You can't plug carts into a MiSTer though.

True, and you probably never will.

From where I am though Analogue products make little sense and seem hugely overpriced, especially when you factor in their trademark bullshit extortionate shipping charges plus additional import duties.

I've gotta say, the 'wow' factor with the Super NT / Mega SG has pretty much all evaporated.

For anyone contemplating a high quality solution other than real OG hardware it's going to have to be a MiSTer all the way at this point. Its SNES core supporting more special chips than an SD2SNES/FXPAK is a nice bonus too.

I do agree about Analogue, and their marketing is insufferable. I personally didn’t get stung on import charges for my SuperNT and I’m very happy with it. 

part of the fun for many is using original carts. 

I think in hindsight though, a real SNES with an OSSC or a Rad2x cable is prob the best way to play if you don’t have a CRT. 

7 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

From where I am though Analogue products make little sense and seem hugely overpriced, especially when you factor in their trademark bullshit extortionate shipping charges plus additional import duties.

I've gotta say, the 'wow' factor with the Super NT / Mega SG has pretty much all evaporated.

For anyone contemplating a high quality solution other than real OG hardware it's going to have to be a MiSTer all the way at this point. Its SNES core supporting more special chips than an SD2SNES/FXPAK is a nice bonus too.

Both the Super NT and Mega SG cost around £145 , and yes, you have to pay post and import costs on top of that. 

But thats true of anything that you import, i go through the same thing when i import consoles or AES games from japan. Yes, its a shame that Analogue dont have european distribution, but then again we would probably be paying the dollar price in pounds - like Apple and Nintendo do - so it doesnt change anything.

Of course, the wow factor for you has evaporated, because those products do not appeal to you. However, if you have a large collection of game carts, what use is the MiSTer? 

The Mega SG provides me with a great way to play my game cart collection from all regions, it does it very well indeed. In fact, its great on a modern flatscreen tv, and i can set it up just how i like it. It also provides me, out of the box, with a way to play my Master System game carts too - all pretty much perfectly.

(Yes, i wish analogue had released its gamegear and SG1000 adaptors before moving on to other projects.)

With an official unofficial firmware upgrade, you can negate the need for everdrive things too and use it to play games from an sd card, plus an FPGA colecovision too.

Its a great machine.

The Super NT too is brilliant. Its my goto way of playing my PAL and NTSC carts. Something thats absolutely impossible with a MiSTer. 

And as for controllers, i simply plug in my original ones!

The hype for the Analogue Pocket, to be released this year, just goes to show that the demand for thise machines has only increased.

• Upvote 1

I like the Analogue consoles. Something about having a recognisable SNES and Mega Drive under my telly, combined with using the original controllers etc. They look and feel good too.

MISTer looks interesting, but too hotrod for my living room, which needs to be child friendly. Switching away from the wire-nest that was OG consoles with an upscaler to the Analogues was wonderful in this regard.

The Analogue consoles are amazing. Beautifully designed, impeccability manufactured with all of Kevtris' amazing core work included. 

They're great and they look cool and work with zero fuss. 

I'm also going to get myself a MiSTER at some point, especially if more Arcade cores get included, and it's probably the best option for Neo Geo. 

On 11/01/2020 at 23:58, spanky debrest said:

Bit pricier than a Pound cable but hugely superior performance can be found with the Nintendo version of the Rad2X from RGC (retrogamingcables.co.uk). The Pound (and other cheap scaling HDMI cables) introduce lag and screen / colour distortion so I'd write them all off to be frank; their innards weren't designed for gaming.

Cheers Spanky - reckon I'll get one of these when back in stock.

Although MIST-thing is interesting, I want to be able to play my original carts. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Seemed like the best place to put this  that popped up on Linkedin yesterday:

7920102B-5FB6-455E-ABDE-EAED4B7F1847.png

A contraction of the name "Snjezana" !

Is your user id from the carry on films?

27 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Seemed like the best place to put this  that popped up on Linkedin yesterday:

7920102B-5FB6-455E-ABDE-EAED4B7F1847.png

Unless she pronounces her name as Sness, it's no longer relevant I'm afraid.

If anyone is looking for SNES themed bits for a room this is pretty good.

Stylish SNES Controller shaped mirror

Easy to mount on the wall

Wall mounting fittings included

60cm x 27cm (23.5in x 10.5in)

Officially licensed Nintendo product

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Nintendo-SNES-Controller-Shaped-Wall-Mirror-Great-Retro-Gaming-Gift/383225793607

They retail for £35 but it's just short of £12 now including delivery

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Upvote 1