rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

Gradius III with slowdown removal is now a reality:

I've long marvelled at how Super Mario World is transformed without the inherent slowdown that it's plagued with but Gradius III might be the one SNES game that begs for SA-1 remapping the most. 

EDIT: It's amazing. With this one patch Gradius III is transformed into one of the greatest 16-bit home shooter ports ever (use on a headerless US ROM):

https://github.com/VitorVilela7/SA1-Root/blob/master/Gradius-III/patch.bps

• Upvote 2

There's a recent mod for the bsnes emulator that greatly increases the sampling/display resolution of any Mode 7 content, removing many of the scaling artifacts you normally get, making it look much cleaner.. 

After the Mega SG proved to be so awesome I ended up ordering a black Super NT.  £250 with an 8BitDo controller and seems to be in mint condition, actually a good deal if you consider I'd easily pay more after shipping and tax from Analogue.  Just waiting for the pad to charge so no chance to play yet.. but soon!

• Upvote 1

Jailbreak still doesn't allow you to play any games that use expansion chips which rules out a lot of good games sadly. 

Latest sd2snes firmware runs everything including Super-FX and SA-1

Just now, Lorfarius said:

I would but not with the price of those :blink: Everdrive all the way!

The sd2snes was an open source design so don't be afraid to get one of the cheaper Chinese ones (that's what I have)

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, ulala said:

Or jailbreak it 

Alas jailbreaking the SuperNT doesn't let you play games that used enhancement chips like the SuperFX or XA1. I'm not even sure it lets you play games that uses a DSP chip like Mario Kart or Pilotwings.

18 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I would but not with the price of those :blink: Everdrive all the way!

Be careful there! There's basically now only one enhancement chip the SD2SNES can't do (and it's used in about 3 hyper obscure Japanese games), whereas the Everdrives are far more limited.

With the Jailbreak Firmware's for the Analogue stuff - which I massively recommend - they make the Everdrive's fully redundant for those systems. 

As people mentioned, the SD2SNES, is still worth getting for the Super NT with the on-board FGPA used to simulate the assist chips. 

...and yes, as it's open source, you could get a cheap Chinese version. 

7 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Alas jailbreaking the SuperNT doesn't let you play games that used enhancement chips like the SuperFX or XA1. I'm not even sure it lets you play games that uses a DSP chip like Mario Kart or Pilotwings.

It's these that the jailbreak wont play: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#List_of_Super_NES_games_that_use_enhancement_chips

There is a lot of crap that you wont be interested in, but it also includes some of the best games on the system 

A couple of years ago the everdrive was a far better choice compared to the SD2SNES.  It loaded games slowly, but was half the price, and with the DSP enhancement option ran almost all the games that the SD2SNES could at the time.

However, today the SD2SNES is the better option.  It's a lot more flexible now, running a lot more extra games (Super FX, etc) and I believe the new 'pro version' can do save states (or will in the near future).  In comparison, the new everdrive (while now loading quickly) no longer runs DSP games.  Apparently hardly anyone chose that option, according to Krikkz.

Yeah the pro is going to have save states which is a nice option. These are the only games the SD2SNES cannot run:

Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 2
Far East of Eden Zero
Momotaro Dentetsu Happy
Super Power League 4

Anyway, think I've sold it enough now, its great :)

The vanilla has Save State support now, I think, but it won’t restore the state of the SPC chip, so things might sound odd until the next music track starts. The Mega Everdrive has the same problem with the Z80 - I find it liveable. 

The SD2SNES Pro will fix this by overloading the SPC bus and having all commands handled by an in-cart FPGA implementation of the SPC, allowing its state to be captured. However, Kevtris has already said this bus overloading won’t work on the SuperNT, meaning the Pro has no advantages. 

I'm not sure if anyone's interested, but the R-Type, Jaleco Brawler's Pack, Data East Classic Collection all run at 60HZ, even though two of them say Pal only on the box.

As a result I'm taking a punt on the Joe & Mac collection as it's only £18 on Amazon at the mo and I've never played two of the games on it.

Edit - Since found out the third game doesn't work on NTSC machines.

You can order it from Amazon.com for £30 which includes customs.

• Upvote 1

On 14/05/2019 at 10:35, strider said:

I'm not sure if anyone's interested, but the R-Type, Jaleco Brawler's Pack, Data East Classic Collection all run at 60HZ, even though two of them say Pal only on the box.

As a result I'm taking a punt on the Joe & Mac collection as it's only £18 on Amazon at the mo and I've never played two of the games on it.

Edit - Since found out the third game doesn't work on NTSC machines.

You can order it from Amazon.com for £30 which includes customs.

We looked at the PAL version of the brawler pack a while back and only Tuff E Nuff didn't work on a NTSC USA machine:

For what they are they aren't bad, certainly much cheaper than buying original games game. didn't like the cartridge quality

Went into Suguya in Shibuya today. Not much AMAZING stuff as you’d expect. It’s all been hovered up and put on eBay. 

I did did get a copy of Panel De Pon though. It was released in the West as Tetris Attack. I’ve been playing it a bit on my SD2SNES and it’s great. 

Also so got nice conditions boxed copies of Super Mario Kart, Super Bomberman and F-Zero to replace loose copies I have. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Can the latest V2 Super Everdrive  (DSP1/2/3/4) run DOOM does anyone know? I can't find a consistent answer.

Surely if you've got a Jaguar with Doom, you don't need to play any other version? ^_^

Has anyone tried some of the bootleg multi-carts you can get on eBay? I picked up this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142717497315 last year and I've got to be honest, it's pretty good. 

It's a 100 in 1 cart, and most of the games are decent. There's a great selection of Capcom and Konami games on it, like all of the Final Fight games, Castlevania IV , Gradius III, Ninja Turtles IV, Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters, Super Turrican 1 and 2, UN Squadron, Wild Guns and my son's favourite - Zombies Ate My Neighbours. Unfortunately some of the games seem to be the US versions, meaning you get "This is not for this region" error - especially annoying with Demon's Crest when it gives it to you after about 10 minutes of play! I'll need to get an import adaptor and see if it fixes it.

There's a few others out there that seem to be slightly different. But if you've not got an Everdrive and are looking to get some now very expensive games, it's definitely worth a shot.

2 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Surely if you've got a Jaguar with Doom, you don't need to play any other version? ^_^

This is of course, very true.  I have a real soft spot for shitty, shitty SNES DOOM though.  It's the first version I owned (although I'd watched the PC version being played before). 

On 09/05/2019 at 19:25, Nathan Wind said:

Ooh, good.  Let me know when you're selling it.

Just as an update to this flippant comment regarding Lorf buying an Analog NT. 

He did let me know when he was selling it and I now own it :lol:

• Empathy 1

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread (I can't find a specific one for the mini) but I am thinking of picking up a SNES Mini and was wondering what anyones impressions / thoughts on the device were. I would likely do the hack to allow me to add further games as there are some classics which are not included.

But not sure if to go with this or the PS Classic and add SNES games onto that.

I do like the UI of the SNES Mini from what I have seen plus this rewind feature looks interesting. Cost is more for the SNES Mini compared to the PS Classic, so may go down the second-hand root.