rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

The SNES finally arrived today so I've just set it all up and had a bit of a blast on it. The SD2SNES is amazing. It really does load games instantly. It's choc full with so much stuff - many hundreds of PAL and NTSC games, homebrew games, hacks, unofficial games, unreleased stuff, translations and things I don't understand like Super System Arcade and Game Series Collections.

I've had a few rounds of Mario Kart because it would be rude not to, followed by some Double Dragon and I'm currently tucking into Assault Suits Valken, which is fantastic. 

Happy as a pig in shit. 

• Upvote 1

I was on paid work experience at TV Times in 1990 and blew that along with my birthday money on a Super Famicom (£480) and Mario World (£90) from Shekhana, also on Tottenham Court Road, and remember being blown away by it. Best £500 odd quid i have ever spent.

• Upvote 6

I ended up buying a sd2snes cart as I got a 20% off code from ebay.

£94 delivered with a 8gb card. Bargain I thought.

Am I right in saying FX chip stuff doesnt work?

Also could anyone who has a sd2snes do me a favour?

Could you test Sensible Soccer for me?

I have a strange glitch issue where within the menus half the words are missing from different options.

I just had a try and I get the exact same issue with two different ROMs of Sensible Soccer and with Sensible Soccer International Edition unfortunately. Only game I've ever seen really glitch like that so far on the sd2snes.

• Upvote 2

On 4 April 2016 at 9:47 PM, Pavey said:

I was on paid work experience at TV Times in 1990 and blew that along with my birthday money on a Super Famicom (£480) and Mario World (£90) from Shekhana, also on Tottenham Court Road, and remember being blown away by it. Best £500 odd quid i have ever spent.

Ahh man.. Shekhana. I got my first glimpse of a Super Famicom there when they first got them in. It was running F-Zero, my jaw was on the ground. I probably drooled a little too. Good times! Sad to see the demise of Tottenham Court's electronics store heritage now. :(

18 minutes ago, Zio said:

I just had a try and I get the exact same issue with two different ROMs of Sensible Soccer and with Sensible Soccer International Edition unfortunately. Only game I've ever seen really glitch like that so far on the sd2snes.

Thanks for checking.

Pretty strange, pleased it's not a fault with my cart to be honest.

I can live with it as I can't play Sensible Soccer without a Competition Pro anyway.

I tried it too and while i didn't have that glitch (International) it did freeze in the club selection menu.  I can't get it as far as playing a game.

Had a good afternoon on this today and discovered a few great games.  I'd highly recommend checking out DoReMi Fantasy and Magical Pop'n'.  Both really good platformers, the latter playing like a super cutesy Castlevania.  I had a nice long session on ActRaiser as well.  What a great game.  I've played it before but didn't get very far with it. 

My SNES was the first games console I'd owned since the Atari 2600, which I'd gotten ten years earlier. I'd been a Spectrum and Amiga user through the eighties and early nineties but a friend who ran a record shop that also sold the occasional console game had a couple of second hand SNES consoles and in 1993, I bought one off him for fifty quid with Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Starwing.

Within a year I'd sold the Amiga. The jump in quality in shooters and platformers was just amazing, as for Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat 2. It was also handy there were some great indie stores in town, including the SOlid Gold Games shops, which for a fiver, let you exchance a game you were finished with and swap it for another used game.

It also had the most I've ever payed for a game. £75 for an import copy of FInal Fantasy III (6) and thirty five quid for an afaptor to run it. Even then there was a menu glitch and the twenty minute end sequence crashed halfway through, but oh did that open me up to a load of other Japanese RPGs.

(Was also fun when Final Fantasy VII came out, I was helping my friends with learning to play this type of game as IO was the only one who'd played a previous entry.)

Although me and my brother both have still working systems, we use our Wii's for playing old SNES stuff now. Although there was some great stuff on the Megadrive, the SNES is the one I always go back to. Only last week I discovered how awesome Final Fight III is. Still got around forty cartridges around, from various countries, of course this was before the internet and knowing how much the PAL/NTSC difference affected games, so we were happy at the time, slowness and borders included.

• Upvote 8

On 09/04/2016 at 0:12 AM, Yartek said:

Although me and my brother both have still working systems, we use our Wii's for playing old SNES stuff now. 

I was just going to mention this as a budget option for playing snes roms. Its not difficult to pick up a Wii for a tenner or so, classic controllers are less than that as well. All you need then is an sd card and you're away. I always eschewed emulating the snes on my yod@box, because the controller just never felt right. The Wii classic controller just feels like an updated snes pad, its just perfect for the job.

On 06/04/2016 at 11:00 PM, Zio said:

Guessing it's because the Sensible Soccer games are PAL optimised for the SNES like they were for the Mega Drive, I would suspect the PAL SNES release of Mega lo Mania many have the same issue.

So many great games on the SNES, I started my SNES gaming in Christmas 1993 with the Super Mario All Stars SNES Bundle great days.

Roll on 23 years later and I'm still playing SNES games, with Star Fox Zero coming I revisited the original yesterday:

Still a classic in many ways, not without problems however the frame rate is just terrible, but well worth a play and one you can't play on any later system due to no re-release.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

This is my Top 5 vid, it keeps getting taken down by Nintendo!

Lorfarius unless you are teasing SNES players with that thumbnail I advice you change the bottom left picture as that is from Contra the Hard Corps on Sega Mega Drive. ;)

Taken down or do you mean content match? Nintendo have content ID on a lot of their games on Youtube as I found out, as long as you don't monetise the video you should be ok, SNES Mario Kart got me a content match as well on a video.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

The funny thing is over 250 people have looked at it and you are the first to notice :lol:

I wondered that I checked the comments for the video on Youtube and couldn't see anyone mention that. :)

I can spot a game usually from just a section of picture as my memory work a bit like a video camera, from you thumbnails currently I can see, Donkey Kong Country 1, Super Ghosts 'n Ghouls, Chrono Trigger (world map), Earthbound, Megaman X (First game starting level), Zombies, Super Metroid, and the MD Contra. Not sure on the middle picture which you can see the mud for only, want to say Magical Quest or Demon's Crest but I don't think it is.

I've had issues with my sd2snes on a couple of games when running the latest firmware that includes the action replay style cheat engine. This happened back in the day when trying to add a cheat cart to certain games,  I believe.

I rolled back to an earlier firmware pre-cheats and it solved my troubles. Could give that a go, might get lucky!

Have I mentioned this already? Sim City on the SNES is a fantastic version and really shows how Nintendo can "Nintendo-ise" a game.

Ive tried to limit my physical SNES games (meaning Home Alone is in a cupboard, unless anyone wants it) but the Wii is a great option for playing those harder to get (ie more expensive) games. If you can get your hands on the SNES Classic controller, even better.

The Wii U is probably the best way, if you're OK with paying for the games for the 10th time. Some complain of the cost, but Super Metroid or Demon's Crest for 6 quid is a bargain compared with the physical carts.

• Upvote 1

Have to agree with Moora here, some of the SNES prices on Wii are excellent value. You can always spend some extra cash on the special SNES controller if you want everything to feel a little more authentic. Wild Guns, Earthbound, Demon's Crest, Akuma Dracula (or whatever it's called) are all insanely priced if you want physical versions.

I just wish I hadn't transferred my Wii details over to the Wii U, as now I have my CRT in the retro shed I can't transfer them back :(

9 hours ago, moora said:

Ive tried to limit my physical SNES games (meaning Home Alone is in a cupboard, unless anyone wants it) but the Wii is a great option for playing those harder to get (ie more expensive) games. If you can get your hands on the SNES Classic controller, even better.

Even just the boggo Classic Controller is brilliant for SNES stuff. And you can actually find them for a reasonable price. Modding a Wii is stupidly easy as well. And I'm not saying that in a "I'm dead clever, me" way, it's actually easy.

I actually have a to do list of SNES games on my Wii:

Final Fight 2

Final Fight 3

Mario Kart

Pilotwings

Rock n' Roll Racing

Zombies Ate My Neighbours

ActRaiser

Contra III

Cybernator

Fighters History

F-Zero

Saturday Night Slam Masters

Super Aeste

Super Bomberman

Super Castlevania IV

Super Mario World 2

Super Metroid

Chrono Trigger

EarthBound

Final Fantasy VI

Legend Of Zelda: ALTTP

Secret Of Mana

Shadowrun

In that order.

19 hours ago, moora said:

Have I mentioned this already? Sim City on the SNES is a fantastic version and really shows how Nintendo can "Nintendo-ise" a game.

The Wii U is probably the best way, if you're OK with paying for the games for the 10th time. Some complain of the cost, but Super Metroid or Demon's Crest for 6 quid is a bargain compared with the physical carts.

Yeah, I got SNES Sim City (or borrowed) and even though i played the Amiga version to death, the SNES one was even better.

I secretly hoped it would get a updated re-release or something but it never has. The fact it could change seasons, replaced godzilla with bowser, introduced Mr Wright (who was in the GB Zelda Links Awakening), great Nintendo music and loads of Nintendo stuff in game. It was awesome.

I remember renting Sim City when I was about 12. Me and my mates were glued to it for days as we all made group decisions on what to do.

Unfortunately whenever I play it now I always go for the same old fail-safe road/track pattern all the time. :(

On 09/04/2016 at 0:12 AM, Yartek said:
22 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

1 hour ago, dataDave said:

I remember renting Sim City when I was about 12. Me and my mates were glued to it for days as we all made group decisions on what to do.

Unfortunately whenever I play it now I always go for the same old fail-safe road/track pattern all the time. :(

Grids of nine with a police or fire department in the middle?