Nathan Wind

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

It’s a great play, but I maintain that a dinosaur turning into vehicles is Amiga-platformer-grade thematic bullshit. Can’t think of anything else like it in a Mario game. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, those sections are weird and pointless. 

I should also also add that I ducking hate world 3 apart from those monkeys. Just the final castle to go this evening and on to world 4. 

Not it sure why I’m playing it on SD2SNES other than SuperFX curiosity, I own the original!!

Super NT get!

Still waiting on the SD2SNES to turn up but have some games to play in the meantime.

It is a really well made bit of kit!

Especially impressed with the audio quality. I would like one or two more scanlines options though.

Still plugging away at Final Fantasy IV. Just got to the magnetic cave where you can’t use any metallic weapons or armor. Cecil has gone from being my steel-clad, sword-weilding tank to hanging out on the back row in pyjamas with a bow.

The new configuration is surprisingly effective - Cecil’s a fair bowman (provided you remember to put bows in your character’s *non*-dominant hands), and Yang and Cid are doing the business up front. I’m basically using Tellah as a heal battery - his job is to get off one Osmose each battle to keep his meagre MP up, then heal everyone after the fight. Some fairly common Ogre things here can be Osmosed for 54MP a hit (more than half Tellah’s max MP), which I took as a sign that I’m approaching this as the designers intended.

That seems to be FFIV in a nutshell, though. I’ve tried to play through it before but not got on with it, but this time (thanks in part to Jeremy Parish’s excellent video review) I can see it more for what it is - a series of themed chapters, each with a specific set of characters or set of constraints laid down by the designers to create a unique challenge. I think when I played it the first time I got frustrated at my characters constantly changing, and how hard it was to find a working pattern and stick to it. Turns out that’s exactly the point, and once you know that, you can treat it almost as a puzzle and enjoy it. 

Coming into this off the back of I Am Setsuna, where a dominant combat strategy emerges about 40% of the way in and basically breaks the game, this is really refreshing. 

It’s also really well balanced, if you use FF smarts (row positioning, elemental weaknesses, avoiding counterattacks, etc)  - I haven’t had to grind once. Each time the designer-gods shake your party up again it can take a while to find the new working arrangement they had in mind for the new line-up, but then it just clicks and you’re away. I think grinding is probably and indicator that you haven’t worked out how to use the tools they’ve given you, TBH. 

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow. 

• Upvote 3

I’m pretty sure that Final Fantasy II US/IV J is the RPG I’ve started the most times yet never actually completed (first time in 1997, most recently with the rock-hard remake on the Nintendo DS). Probably didn’t get halfway through in any case. Yet I’ve positive memories of the game. First turn-based JRPG I ever played, first JRPG of any sort with any significant narrative too.

My Analogue Super NT has arrived :) 

I’m debating buying a few boxed games, some that I had when I was a kid. Looking on Console Passion and Chillout Games though, I didn’t realise SNES game prices were this high. Collecting for the Megadrive has been cheaper imo. 

Any suggestions? Should I just get an SD2SNES? Where else should I look for SNES games? I really don’t want to use eBay.

25 minutes ago, KriessG said:

I’m debating buying a few boxed games, some that I had when I was a kid. Looking on Console Passion and Chillout Games though, I didn’t realise SNES game prices were this high. Collecting for the Megadrive has been cheaper imo. 

Any suggestions? Should I just get an SD2SNES? Where else should I look for SNES games? I really don’t want to use eBay.

Boxed prices went through the roof years ago. Better off with an SD2SNES before committing to buying anything else. eBay is a minefield now too- if it's too good to be true, it's probably a fake.

Just now, Camel said:

You mean 'repro' ,right?

:(

Ha! Whatever lets eBay continue collecting money. I'm still a bit shocked that we've gotten to the point where people have to open a cart and photograph the PCB to prove that what they're selling is genuine.

Flash carts are the only sensible option if you're starting out with a physical console now.

SD

33 minutes ago, KriessG said:

It's the "boxed" bit that's expensive. Bare carts aren't bad at all, but everyone wants their wall of boxes like the YouTubers. SNES is probably worse than MD for this as the cardboard boxes are much flimsier.

I got Super Mario RPG (before the SD2SNES could do SA-1) as a bare cart for £25 or so. It goes for £100+ in a box. Utter lunacy.

I can recommend the SD2SNES anyway, makes a great partner for the Super NT. Being apply to apply bugfix/improvement/translation patches to ROMs is a killer feature, and the built-in IGR hooks are very handy too.

It looks like a SDSNES is probably the best option for now, I’ve got enough games on other formats sitting around and I can’t really justify £40-£50+ for a single game that I won’t play that often. Thanks for the replies.

13 hours ago, KriessG said:

Defo get a SD2SNES, then very patiently get original carts. 

All the carts I have have come from forum trading like this place! 

Just don’t buy the ones I want! 

Looks like there’s an SD2SNES Pro on the way. Bigger FPGA to allow more features - and not have to disable some features to support others, like save states for example. 

Not it too bothered about save states myself for the most part, but I’ll be interested to see what else comes up over the years that might warrant an upgrade. 

• Upvote 2

I finally got round to playing the SNES Aladdin. I played through the MD one the other week and thought i'd never given the SNES one a go .. so why not. Turns out it's not bad although a bit unforgiving at times.

10 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Looks like there’s an SD2SNES Pro on the way. Bigger FPGA to allow more features - and not have to disable some features to support others, like save states for example. 

Not it too bothered about save states myself for the most part, but I’ll be interested to see what else comes up over the years that might warrant an upgrade. 

To be fair though, once S-DD1 support is in there, I'd be completely happy with the standard SD2SNES. The only games that would be left unplayable after that would be some of the more hyper-obscure Japanese stuff I have no interest in. The Super-FX and SA1 support that was recently added seems nigh-on perfect!

Finished Super Mario World last night, which has been my SNES game of choice for the last few months on nights when I don't have the time or energy for Final Fantasy IV. Completed all the conventional levels (88) and beat Bowser - I'll go back to tackle the final 8 Special Stages.

First time I've played it through in about 10 years, I think. Struck me that the quality of the levels really tailed off after the Forest of Illusion, with Chocolate Island in particular feeling a bit phoned in - you can just belt through a lot of the levels without feeling like you're missing much. Still good fun though, and the castles in particular remained challenging. Wish I could play the Ghost Houses for the first time again, though...

Any suggestions for a similarly fairly light actiony game with saveable progress to fill the niche once I've conquered Gnarly and Tubular?

• Upvote 2

Ah, I do have Yoshi's Island. A good, and in retrospect obvious, idea.

I'm not really a fan of the DKC games, as discussed earlier in the thread.

Still gently proceeding through FFIV, mopping up side-quests in the underworld before going to the moon.

Think I probably screwed up by beating the Sealed Cave before doing the Sylph Cave or Feymarch, as it means I’ve had to do them without Kain. The Sylph cave in particular was a right bastard, the closest thing to a proper maze in the game so far and full of tough enemies. I’ve levelled up a lot, both literally and tactically.

A good discovery was that if Edge is using one ranged weapon (a boomerang), then he can hit from the back row without detriment, even if his other weapon isn’t ranged. This has made him significantly less fragile. I’ve also worked out that a short casting time is basically the most important part of offensive magic, so Rydia pretty much exclusively uses Bio (instant!) and her Mist summon. 

Anyway, cleared the Sylph Cave, woke Yang up and got the Sylph summon. Got to Feymarch last night (much easier) and beat Asura - I’ll take on Leviathan next. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:18, Alexlotl said:

SD

It's the "boxed" bit that's expensive. Bare carts aren't bad at all, but everyone wants their wall of boxes like the YouTubers. SNES is probably worse than MD for this as the cardboard boxes are much flimsier.

I got Super Mario RPG (before the SD2SNES could do SA-1) as a bare cart for £25 or so. It goes for £100+ in a box. Utter lunacy.

I can recommend the SD2SNES anyway, makes a great partner for the Super NT. Being apply to apply bugfix/improvement/translation patches to ROMs is a killer feature, and the built-in IGR hooks are very handy too.

I'm obviously doing something wrong as I can't seem to get the IGR hooks to work, even something simple like reset to menu let alone save states. What am I missing?

5 hours ago, new666uk said:

I'm obviously doing something wrong as I can't seem to get the IGR hooks to work, even something simple like reset to menu let alone save states. What am I missing?

Ah, I was getting things mixed up - looks like the IGR is a SuperNT thing, not an SD2SNES thing. Sorry. 

It is neat, though. Up and select - do it briefly for a soft reset (stays in whatever game you loaded on SD2SNES), keep it held for longer for a hard reset, which takes you back to the SD2SNES menu. 

More FFIV - having fun collecting more summons for Rydia.

After taking down Asura, I went back for Leviathan, who was fairly trivial. Then nipped back to the overworld to swap the rat tail for Adamant ore, and by sheer fluke got the Goblin summon random-drop from the island next to Mythril. A quick trip to the underworld to get Excalibur forged, then off to Baron to find the ghost of the King and get Odin.

"Well, this is easy", I thought doing decent damage with conventional attacks and Bio spams, then he killed my entire team in one hit.

Turns out I should have paid attention to the books in the Feymarch library - one talks about Odin being felled by lightning. Give it another go - Edge's Blitz attacks do ~5000 damage, Rydia's Ramuh summon ~8000. Odin lasts about 90 seconds, with no time to use his insta-kill.

3 new summons in about 20 minutes play!

I think I'm all set to go to the moon now - slightly worried I'll be stupidly over-levelled after all that four-man side-questing. There are a few more random-drop summons to get (Cockatrice, Mindflayer, Bomb), but the odds are just stupid, so I think I'll give them a miss. Life is too short to grind 28 year old RPGs.

• Upvote 1