Nathan Wind

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

49 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Was it optimised for PAL at all? I'm not optimistic as I've not played it since release and therefore can't remember but if not, I'm wondering if I can fudge 60Hz with my SD2SNES somehow. Or maybe there's a tweaked ROM somewhere...

NTSC Patch: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3496/

There are a lot of these on romhacking.net, mostly by German gamers who want to keep the local translations of the PAL games but play them at the proper speed.

• Upvote 1

LMK if anyone wants a loose PAL cart of Zombies [Ate My Neighbors], it’s functional but doesn’t run on my Super Famicom with either of my adapters, so might as well pass it on to someone who can play and enjoy it.

• Upvote 4

On 22/10/2018 at 17:31, Protocol Penguin said:

LMK if anyone wants a loose PAL cart of Zombies [Ate My Neighbors], it’s functional but doesn’t run on my Super Famicom with either of my adapters, so might as well pass it on to someone who can play and enjoy it.

I'd love to play it on my Super NT if this is still available? :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

17678B9A-39AA-46EB-B865-2A47C13ECD48.jpeg.a1af338e34021ea14e77679014dc9a33.jpeg

New additions donated courtesy of Mysterious Benefactor X. :) First time I've owned the official 'tap, and it's quite a behemoth.

I never posted a picture of my Hori one here.

7CD9C50D-5273-46C9-8169-0A8E09969165.thumb.jpeg.a0ef6c0d3a078bfade7f47dad4e390d5.jpeg

Compact! The box is the size of a normal Japanese SFC game box. Haven’t had a chance to try it out yet, but there’s a work gaming night in early November, so I’ll try to get some Bomberman, NBA Jam and Saturday Night Slam Masters going. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

26 days after ordering it from Ukraine. 

Where did you order from pal? I was going to order from the US but that seems pointless if you can order direct from the source.

20 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Krikzz always does a Black Friday (week) sale which might be due in a few weeks, 20% off. Might be worth holding off if you're in the market for an SD2SNES.

Good call. Been mulling over PCE and GB Everdrives and forgot about this.

13 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I love this thing!!

17170C6F-D12A-4914-9A7D-9E8568C6A18F.thumb.jpeg.09bcb8fd4bc3847518aef01e833379cd.jpeg

That's how you do it aye! 

And yeah, that's how I started, and now have a Famicom, Super Famicom, N64, Genesis & PC Engine, all with Everdrives. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/10/2018 at 16:49, Protocol Penguin said:

17678B9A-39AA-46EB-B865-2A47C13ECD48.jpeg.a1af338e34021ea14e77679014dc9a33.jpeg

New additions courtesy of Mysterious Benefactor X. :) First time I've owned the official 'tap, and it's quite a behemoth.

Ah!  I had an unofficial one (still got it, in fact).  Reminds me of my 1st year at uni, where we used to play 5-player Super Bomberman 3 in my room.

• Upvote 2

Had a rough day, so decided to relieve the stress with a brawler, and picked Final Fight 2. Decided to play as Maki, who is basically Guy in drag (the weak fast one with good combos). 

The game does a lot with a little. There can’t be more than ten enemy types (excluding bosses), but they’re nice and varied and have properly differentiated patterns. The globe-trotting stages (complete with SF2-style map) look gorgeous, and I loved the Chun Li cameo at the start of the Hong Kong stage. Combat is as basic as FF1 - no dash, no SF style specials - but hit detection is good, hits feel solid and it generally all clicks. 

Two criticisms, though:

1) You really feel the SNES’s lower horizontal resolution here, when comparing it with the likes of Streets of Rage on the MD. It’s like playing in a pillar box, and you spend a lot of time waiting for enemies to walk back onto the screen, particularly when the best strategy for certain types is to knock them down with flying kicks. 

2) The difficulty curve is pretty much perfect (bosses are tough, but doable) until you meet Rolento at the end of the Italy stage - he is *ridiculously* harder than anything else in the game. He can do unblockable jump attacks, moves crazily fast, hits like a hammer and has heaps of HP. When you eventually wear him down to his final HP bar, he starts chucking grenades everywhere, three hits from which will take off a whole life. Lost 4 continues on this fucker before finally beating him. Maybe he’s easier with a second player. 

Didn’t quite beat it - died on the last level (Japan), having used all my continues on Rolento. 

• Upvote 1

The flip side of the pillar box screen is that the bigger sprites in Final Fight seem to have more ooomph in their punches and kicks, compared to Streets of Rage, whose attacks always seem a little tinny in comparison.

I'm aware that that isn't the most vivid description.

Another random ROM pick last night… Ocean’s Pushover, which I vaguely remembered liking from an Amiga mag demo disk.

It’s very barebones, with about as much structure to it as an early Gameboy puzzler like Catrap - there’s a landing screen where you can enter a passcode and change sound options, and pressing start takes you into the level. After you beat it, you get kicked back to the landing screen with the passcode for the next level pre-filled. That’s about it. 

Fortunately, the core domino-pushing game still holds up very well, with some smart use of introductory levels getting you used to each new domino type, before some genuinely interesting problems come up. The choice to make all the dominos red and yellow is bizarre though - while different patterns of stripes etc tell you which type each domino is (there are 12 types, I think), in practice you have to keep dipping into the visual domino guide on the start button to remember. The time limit also feels a bit unnecessary to me - I don’t think the game would be any weaker without it, and it’s annoying when you spend a few minutes coming up with a solution, push the dominoes to prove it works, then have to re-do it all as you exceeded the time limit while thinking. 

Every 10 levels or so you find a bundle of cash for some kind of rat(?) and then move onto new levels with different backgrounds. I think on the Amiga version this was finding bags of quavers for Colin Curly, so perhaps the forced removal of the Quavers sponsorship is why this game feels so threadbare in terms of personality or colour.

Anyway, still good fun, if distinctly game boyish. 

Pushover is good clean fun.

Completed Contra 3 today on normal for the first time ever!

Now onto Operation Logic Bomb which is a great game. 

21 hours ago, nakamura said:

Completed Contra 3 today on normal for the first time ever!

I could never get even half way in this. Can't imagine the skill you'd need to finish it...

Just now, Myshkin said:

I could never get even half way in this. Can't imagine the skill you'd need to finish it...

Well it took me 25 years......

It's actually not that hard bar the last boss. You just have to be mega careful.

Just now, nakamura said:

Well it took me 25 years......

It's actually not that hard bar the last boss. You just have to be mega careful. 

might give it another go when I set up RetroArchNX. maybe with an adult's patience and attention span I won't just plow straight through without paying attention. I think that's what got me back then. "mega careful" seems like a good guiding principle for that game.

God, Yoshi's Island is just so fucking brilliant. Beautiful to look at too after all these years. If ever a game DIDN'T need a HD remake... Even the shitty dithered transparencies have bags of charm.

• Upvote 7