PS4 Pro

labarte

15 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

So you literally just loading it up and get no menu?

This is not in remote play is it?

Are you still getting sound?

Once the disc and update is installed it does two splash screens, after the Naughty Dog emblem it just goes black.

I installed the disc and update and reinstalled the disc and started it without the update. It loads up as far as the menu but if I try to load a game or start a new one it goes into a static screen of Nate with a countdown in the corner.

So download and install the update and it does the black screen again.

Fucking me off now. 

17 minutes ago, vezna said:

Is there something in the breakout box that can actually be updated? 

I've bought the HDR switcher from Amazon so obviously Sony will now update PSVR next week to allow HDR passthrough. 

Let me know how you get on mate, I've been undecided on getting one until I get concrete proof it works.

4 hours ago, angel said:

Iv played rocket league so much im really hyper aware of how it all works and plays, and it doesnt do this on ps4. Not being funny with you but youre wrong, if theres one game i know its RL.

I mean, there are countless reports of exactly what you're describing going back over a year. I'm not saying that you didn't have stuttering, just that it's not because of the Pro. 

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I appreciate this question has probably been asked and answered previously, but I can't be doing with looking through 74 pages of people talking about frame rates and resolutions, and other things I don't really understand. So:

I have a 43 inch, 1080p telly that I don't plan on upgrading to 4k or HDR any time soon. Are the improvements from a PS4 Pro worth the £200-odd it'll cost me once I trade in my standard C Chassis model?

From your self description, probably not, I'll assume you fall into the camp of orders of magnitude technical improvement required before you'll notice without A/B comparison (AKA the silent majority). Come back when the PS5 is announced or wait until the PS4 Pro Slim gets released in a few years time.

On 11/11/2016 at 16:08, Radish said:

I imagine a lot of these Pro patches have been either rushed out with the minimum amount of effort required. I hope it's because those games have already been released and aren't as much of a concern anymore for the developers or publishers, rather than it being a trend that will carry on with new releases. Fingers crossed they'll release another patch to fix things. If games that haven't been released yet launch with poor Pro support then I'll be worried. 

That's mind-bogglingly stupid. Resolution is the last thing you turn down to improve your framerate. 

But in the case of Skyrim/The Last of Us and likely Deus Ex, it's the chosen rendering resolution that is causing the bottleneck, seems a bandwidth related problem primarily. The first two games are pretty much graphics quality-wise pushing the same amount of effects as the base PS4 game, the primary difference being the much higher rendering resolution being used for the Pro version. So to improve performance, that's about the only thing worth sacrificing to give enough headroom in the available bandwidth to cope with the stress points. Leadbetter even suggests they should drop The Last of Us down to 1440p to fix the minor framedrops for 1080p TV owners, but that is effectively yet another mode for developers to QA, and 4K TV owners will more likely prefer the current option of 1800p native with minor drops as Sony's own testing stated 1440p rendering for 4K screens isn't high enough for most people to appreciate the resolution jump.

There was a reason Microsoft mentioned the bandwidth spec when they announced Project Scorpio, higher rendering resolutions need more of it to sustain performance.

1 hour ago, Radish said:

I mean, there are countless reports of exactly what you're describing going back over a year. I'm not saying that you didn't have stuttering, just that it's not because of the Pro. 

My ps4 did not do it. This does, quite often. Ive played 100s of hours, I know how the game exhibits lag and its not this 

I'm so massively underwhelmed. Picked up the Pro today and got it home, chucked in some of my games to see if there is a difference from the old PS4 and the Pro on my 40" Samsung 4K TV. I really can't see any noticeable difference. It's got me wondering if my 4K hasn't even been enabled or my settings are just wank. Or maybe it's just not that different...?

19 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

And 12 months from now if the Scorpio hardware is sufficiently powered that it can deliver high rendering resolutions and graphical enhancements without compromise, then the Pro is going to look like the awkward halfway house it's fumbled marketing has hinted at.

Seems to me the Pro has an identity crisis - it's a 4K machine solely dedicated to rendering base performance PS4 games at 4K, but as an afterthought it's also a machine that can boost picture quality and graphical effects at 1080p. But Sony haven't given it the specs to do what it really needs to: both.

They changed the name from PS4K to Pro so consumers without 4K TV's would upgrade. They impose restrictions on devs and the specs prevent a true graphical leap. This is epitomised by Tomb Raiders Pro options, choose 4K at 30fps, 1080 with enhanced graphics at 30fps, or 1080 base game at 60fps. That's messy as hell.

If the Scorpio has the muscle to deliver 4K at 60fps, especially if it can deliver the graphical enhancements, then the Pro loses it's appeal. This is why I think Sony should have matched the specs,  launched at the same period and focused on VR this xmas. But yeah I'm like a broken record at this point so I'll give it a rest.

tYIJPLZ.gif

Overwatch looks better on my Pro. I don't understand why, I'm well aware it doesn't even support it, but it definitely looks better. Stronger colours and more details in dark areas. One example being the stairs in the attack spawn on Dorado. Could just be that I simply had my old PS4 set up wrong all that time. Either way, feels like an upgrade to me!

42 minutes ago, Seanfl9 said:

it's a 2015 model. Samsung UE40JU6000 or something. It is a 4K UHD screen. I can't help but feel I need some serious tweaking with my picture. I don't suppose anyone is clued up with the Samsung 6000 series picture settings? 

The standard rules apply, put in game mode, turn off all processing, make sure it's in 1:1 pixel mapping mode and turn off all the auto brightness stuff. The best you'll get from that set is that the panel is not upscaling the image at all, so it'll look nice and sharp.

1 hour ago, Seanfl9 said:

I'm so massively underwhelmed. Picked up the Pro today and got it home, chucked in some of my games to see if there is a difference from the old PS4 and the Pro on my 40" Samsung 4K TV. I really can't see any noticeable difference. It's got me wondering if my 4K hasn't even been enabled or my settings are just wank. Or maybe it's just not that different...?

Are you trying games that have the Pro stuff enabled?

27 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Overwatch looks better on my Pro. I don't understand why, I'm well aware it doesn't even support it, but it definitely looks better. Stronger colours and more details in dark areas. One example being the stairs in the attack spawn on Dorado. Could just be that I simply had my old PS4 set up wrong all that time. Either way, feels like an upgrade to me!

Perhaps the RGB setting (limited / full) is set differently on your new console.

So as I have a vast amount of 3D blu's I had to get the lg panel, the lag exists on my current but that it causes me no issues. So I now own a LG 49UH850. 

Though i I now realise my amp is a smudge too old to consider 4K. So the Pro is now conntected directly and I've lost lossless audio whilst 4K gaming. But seeing as I gotta swap hdmi to use PSVR then I can live with it until I upgrade. 

Anyway, the picture settings are lot more detailed and complex than the old full HD ones I've gotten used to.   So I guess I gotta some research to do. 

Anyway games,once I worked out I had to switch on Ultra HD deep colour on each HDMI input the Pro recognised I had HDR. 

Ratchet and Clank looks bloody amazing, the sky box and detail in 4K HDR is rather impressive indeed. 

Uncharted 4, nice to get a message box pop up and ask if I wanted to turn HDR mode on. Only loaded one stage but fucking hell it was already a beautiful game. Now it's like someone popped me contacts in for me. And literally nose to the screen there are no pixels, no jaggies just wow. 

1 hour ago, sir shrew said:

12 months from now, if the Scorpio hardware is sufficiently powered that it can deliver high rendering resolutions and graphical enhancements without compromise, then the Pro is going to look like the awkward halfway house it's fumbled marketing suggests.

Seems to me the Pro has an identity crisis - it's a 4K machine solely dedicated to rendering base-performance PS4 games at 4K, but as an afterthought it's also a machine that can boost picture quality and graphical effects at 1080p. But Sony haven't given it the specs to do what it really needs to: both.

They changed the name from PS4K to Pro so they wouldn't dissuade buyers without 4K TV's. They impose restrictions on devs and the specs which have limited the graphical leap. This is epitomised by Tomb Raiders Pro options, choose 4K at 30fps, 1080 with enhanced graphics at 30fps, or 1080 base game at 60fps. That's messy as hell.

If the Scorpio has the muscle to deliver 4K at 60fps, especially if it can deliver the graphical enhancements, then the Pro loses it's entire selling point. This is why I think Sony should have waited and matched the specs.

No way is Scorpio going to run anything special at 4K60. They've said it's going to be expensive but you'd need to be well into four figures to make that happen and they're not that stupid. 

Still really baffled by the Pro. A system of half measures. Just put 1080p60 in the TCRs and it'd fly off shelves as fast as you can make them. 

1 hour ago, Seanfl9 said:

it's a 2015 model. Samsung UE40JU6000 or something. It is a 4K UHD screen. I can't help but feel I need some serious tweaking with my picture. I don't suppose anyone is clued up with the Samsung 6000 series picture settings? 

same telly as me.

"turn everything off"

sharp as all fuck mind. And they reckon it does HDR...

Shame I also have PSVR...

It sounds like those RAM and CPU bottlenecks turned out to be more of an issue that they should've been; developers will have to implement all that memory compression and whatever to make up for the shortfall and it's not terribly surprising that some haven't, but it's still disappointing.

Oh well, I now feel justified in eventually dropping £250 on one of those nice Slim bundles and using the rest of the cash on booze.