PS4 Pro

labarte

21 hours ago, murray said:

Also fucking hell I need a new TV, but having spent £700 on new PlayStation shit within the last four weeks, I don't think my wife will be too happy to learn that I've just dropped £1,200 on a new 4K HDR display.

I'll wait until December for that.

Wow, ps4 pro, psvr and new 4K tv combo is going into high end PC with VR headset equivalent money.  Also PS4 pro and psvr may get a refresh in a couple of years.

My current go to games all look stunning on 1080p on the pro...Battlefield 1 & Titanfall 2 and these were the titles I wanted the console for.

When the rain comes on when you are playing BF1 online and there are explosions, debris and mud everywhere it just looks so fucking good (and it wasn't bad to look at in the first place).

I even noticed something I hadn't payed attention to previously,  it was pissing down and the water was pouring of the awning outside a window...I stood there watching it for a wee bit....I then got blown up tae fuck wi a tank.

Another thing I was impressed with was the boost to Modern Warfare....first map I tried online was the bog....big improvement from the old console.

My guaranteed launch day delivery Pro from Amazon still hasn't showed up (it's been "out for delivery" since Thursday afternoon), so I'm looking at this as a sign and have cancelled it - especially since I'm not going to be at home all weekend and I'm working in a different office all next week from the guy who was going to buy my old PS4 off me. Never had Amazon Prime fuck up like this on me before. At least whinging to Amazon has given me a free month of Prime membership.

I'm definitely going to be interested in how you guys find your new Pro consoles though! I'd had no intention of getting a 4K screen, so would only have been buying for potential 1080p and PSVR improvements, so if there are real tangible benefits without 4K, I'll take another look at buying one down the line.

@angel

Thought I would try a match of Rocket League. Have recorded it and uploaded it for you, but I certainly couldn't see any stutters like you mentioned. I haven't played RL in months so I'm pants at it:

Who's your internet provider and what router have you got? A few things to consider:

1. If your router is far away/through a few walls, 2.4Ghz actually has better range and penetration than 5Ghz (but is slower).

2. If your router is putting out both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz under the same SSID, your PS4 might connect to the wrong one. The way I've set my BT Homehub up, I've got a "Homehub" and then a "Homehub_5Ghz" SSID so you know exactly which one you're connecting to and can test each.

2 hours ago, Larsen B said:

That playing already released stuff isn't a 1:1 experience with playing on old hardware is an issue, although the size of it is hugely subjective.

I play a lot of things on PC and try to achieve 1080p60 as a minimum but I don't mind frame drops on the whole (the result of 20 years of console gaming). I also don't own any of the games that are suffering from frame-drops (TLOU, Skyrim, Deus Ex, ROTTR) and probably wouldn't mind that much. I've bought my Pro for future improvements rather than being able to play old games at 1080p60, though that's one of the appeals of PC.

But Sony releasing a console refresh, talk up all of its power and charge £350, and yet it doesn't do the basic job of the previous hardware and also doesn't play nicely with another recently released £350 peripheral (having to disconnect PSVR to use HDR), well it is a bad look for them. I'm happy to put it down to teething troubles and software patches not being an exact science but, if this happens to anything in the future (The Last Guardian, FFXV), no-one should be happy.

Mighty tempted to sell one of the PS4's and upgrade but probably better to just hang fire and see what happens with the second wave of games as well as the non HDR/PSVR thing.  

Since I can't be bothered to keep swapping between cables and have pushed HDR to the side for the time being while doing a lot of PSVR stuff, when playing Titanfall 2 last night, the colours did appear to pop less than the night before. This should make no sense and be a figment of my imagination given that Titanfall 2 supposedly has no HDR support, right?

The Pro also gave me a notification about how I could be having it all so much better if I used HDR both times I switched it on yesterday. HDR is the new power options.

4 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Since I can't be bothered to keep swapping between cables and have pushed HDR to the side for the time being while doing a lot of PSVR stuff, when playing Titanfall 2 last night, the colours did appear to pop less than the night before. This should make no sense and be a figment of my imagination given that Titanfall 2 supposedly has no HDR support, right?

The Pro also gave me a notification about how I could be having it all so much better if I used HDR both times I switched it on yesterday. HDR is the new power options.

I can't decide if HDR is better. It gives a darker image with more vivid colours. 4k  on its own feels crisper but more 'gamey'.

Three days in and I'm still perplexed at having to swap cables about to use different features. 

I don't know how long I'll be able to cope with swapping HDMI leads for VR before giving up and investing in this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KXCO65E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478886452&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=LIGAWO+3090063

HDR is seriously good, btw. Like, wow. I played through The Last Of Us's intro and it was like remastered squared - the colours and depth of the lighting are outstanding. In terms of 4K lookers, Rachel and Clank is beautiful - it feels like Pixar could work wonders on this machine.

PSVR does seem much sharper depending on the game. It's particularly noticeable in The Playroom, Bound and Thumper, but Rez Area X looks cleaner (and even the original levels seem sharper to me, though possible placebo and all that). Haven't tried RIGS yet, which is supposed to be a big difference. Someone said that Sportsbar VR was better, but I didn't notice anything.

So yeah, I'm happy with everything aside from the cable woes. Oh, the PSVR tracking is identical, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, angel said:

I've never ever played it offline, tbh I've turned it off for tonight, but thats 5 or so games online ive played..1v1...and its happened a good 20 times, a really noticable judder of me, my opponent, and the ball moving.   The pad is doing my head in the same amount, I could swear the face buttons feel more sunk in to the plastic and harder to press. I think it's a good excuse to pick up one of those old style clear ones.  Mixed impressions for sure, the machine itself is very nice, but the pad and bugs are major downers after all the hassle.

This is hopefully just an Internet issue. Rocket League has always been a bit juddery when someone's connection isn't great, so maybe you were just unlucky. I'll play some matches later and let you know how I get on.

7 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

This is hopefully just an Internet issue. Rocket League has always been a bit juddery when someone's connection isn't great, so maybe you were just unlucky. I'll play some matches later and let you know how I get on.

I play a lot of rocket league and recently this last month it's been quite bad for lag. If I'm lagging it terrible but if someone else is lagging it's also pretty bad. I've had rubber banding too. It's definately their servers. Rocket league hasn't had a patch yet for pro so it's just running in standard PS4 mode.

I appreciate this question has probably been asked and answered previously, but I can't be doing with looking through 74 pages of people talking about frame rates and resolutions, and other things I don't really understand. So:

I have a 43 inch, 1080p telly that I don't plan on upgrading to 4k or HDR any time soon. Are the improvements from a PS4 Pro worth the £200-odd it'll cost me once I trade in my standard C Chassis model?

From what I've heard (and what I remember the conversation being here before launch), it's really only worth it if you've got a 4K TV or don't have a PS4. 

What's a good way of buying digital games on PS4? Have Sony firmed up their security enough that it's okay to add a card to the console? Or do I need to go and buy some credit from a shop? I quite fancy getting Abzu today.

3 hours ago, Radish said:

That's true, just the way the original post was framed made me think he was speaking from experience of dropping resolution to improve framerate. Perhaps it's more noticeable on a monitor rather than a TV, but I still maintain that dropping below native resolution is the last thing you want to do - yes, it provides a big performance boost but it also has the biggest impact on image quality. You'd be far better off to set everything else to low/off first to see if that provides a good enough framerate boost. 

That article is about something different though: bugs with the visuals, not added stuttering. If you google it you can see numerous reports of stuttering in Rocket League going back to 2015. It doesn't look like a bug caused by the PS4 Pro hardware. 

Iv played rocket league so much im really hyper aware of how it all works and plays, and it doesnt do this on ps4. Not being funny with you but youre wrong, if theres one game i know its RL.

On 07/11/2016 at 18:14, RIKT said:

For those who can afford one but are considering cancelling...On Thursday evening, when you look down at your old PS4, with the VR USB cable hanging out of the front and turn it on knowing that it'll definitely look no better than it ever has, do you think you'll be happy and feel satisfied? If so then crack on with the cancellation. 

I know for sure I won't. 

Personally I'd say leave it a bit and wait and see how things pan out if you're keeping your 1080p set and you don't have a 4K TV that you really want some content for. At the moment it seems that performance is getting sacrificed on the altar of resolution. So we have games performing worse than on a bog standard PS4, just so they can achieve 4K (well not proper 4K, but you know what I mean). Hopefully just teething problems, but it looks pretty shoddy on Sony's part.

16 minutes ago, angel said:

Iv played rocket league so much im really hyper aware of how it all works and plays, and it doesnt do this on ps4. Not being funny with you but youre wrong, if theres one game i know its RL.

Just played 4 online games in split-screen and the performance was exactly the same as on the base PS4.

I say wait too.

it'll prove its worth and will one day probably be the last remaining PS4 sku on the market.

If you have PSVR = purchase the pro

If you don't have a PS4 = purchase the pro

if you have 4K tv = purchase the pro

if you want other things like 1080p streaming and remote play, 5ghz wifi , double the hard disk space and are fed up with fan noise - looking into purchasing the pro

it'll make more sense in a couple of months time when you start getting some 60fps games (like final fantasy 15) vs 30fps on the standard PS4.

i have no interest in 4K but maybe one day I will.

From what I've heard (and what I remember the conversation being here before launch), it's really only worth it if you've got a 4K TV or don't have a PS4. 

What's a good way of buying digital games on PS4? Have Sony firmed up their security enough that it's okay to add a card to the console? Or do I need to go and buy some credit from a shop? I quite fancy getting Abzu today.

I add my card, pay then remove it directly after just to be safe.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I appreciate this question has probably been asked and answered previously, but I can't be doing with looking through 74 pages of people talking about frame rates and resolutions, and other things I don't really understand. So:

I have a 43 inch, 1080p telly that I don't plan on upgrading to 4k or HDR any time soon. Are the improvements from a PS4 Pro worth the £200-odd it'll cost me once I trade in my standard C Chassis model?

Depends on what you play. If you play BF1 then 100% yes. The difference between playing on the base and the Pro is significant.

Well yes and no. I don't think you are allowed to target 30fps on the base and then have 60 on the Pro. But BF1 targets 60 but doesn't hold it on base. So a much more consistent frame rate coupled with a much higher resolution makes the Pro version much much better.

So the zero advantage on Pro stance doesn't really hold up. I'd say that you have an massive advantage playing BF1 on the Pro. 

24 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Haven't Sony said there will be no Pro advantages in multiplayer as that would be unfair to base players? 

In terms of frame rate perhaps, but the extra clarity of a higher resolution has to provide some kind of advantage. Besides, it's naive to suggest online has been fair too all. Particularly in the case of Infinite Warfare which has been a frame-stuttering, laggy mess for me on both flavours of PS4 (at the same time Titanfall 2 has been running flawlessly).

Internet, custom controllers, input lag, dodgy matchmaking, console gamers using M+KB on Overwatch: fair fights are already hard to come by.