IGNORED

PS4 Pro

labarte

7 hours ago, englishbob said:

The downside of being a lowly PS4 "standard" owner is I now have about half a Terrabyte of bloody patches for things I'll never use on it. Great.

I was thinking about this a week or two ago when Deus Ex Mankind Divided had a 5GB patch, and the patch notes included PS4 Pro mode.

Of course. Of course even regular PS4 owners will have to download gigabytes of PS4 Pro patches, because that's how shitty this generation is about patches. Deus Ex mixed Pro mode in with a bunch of regular bugfixes, so that Pro mode must be a part of everyone's base game installation.

Is there anything stopping a developer from adding 30GB of ultra hi-res textures to their Pro patch?

6 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

That's literally impossible, non-patched games look and run exactly the same as on base PS4, right?

I'm using the same HDMI lead as I was before. Perhaps the HDMI processor (is that a thing?) has improved since the launch unit I was using.

The difference on my screen is quite stark. My benchmark was Destiny, and I play a lot of Destiny.

The PS Store loads faster, too.

Had a hairy moment when mine refused to recognise my backup hdd, left it a minute and it worked, guess it was spinning up or something.

Flipped the ps4 upside down (don't say it..) to swap out hdds, and it has little playstation symbols for feeties.

2 hours ago, Stebbo said:

I'm using the same HDMI lead as I was before. Perhaps the HDMI processor (is that a thing?) has improved since the launch unit I was using.

The difference on my screen is quite stark. My benchmark was Destiny, and I play a lot of Destiny.

The PS Store loads faster, too.

The store loading faster for you might be because it's now got proper 5ghz wifi rather than the old 2.4

7 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think I am back on for getting one, bit of a bonus cash injection coming my way but a couple of questions...

I assume the new pad will charge in the official dock?

Anyone tried to fit xbone sticks to the new pad? (first thing I would do so hoping someone else has already)

@angel I'm counting on a review from you of how the patched games are doing on a 1080p plasma!!

I've just swapped the xbone sticks from my old pad to the pro and they work fine :).

In fact the pad has had some changes in design which makes it easier to swap sticks.

4 hours ago, gooner4life said:

No way, battlefield 4 was horrible on Xbox One, playing it on PS4 felt like going from last gen to current gen in comparison.

resolution is so important especially on games like battlefield where you are looking into the distance, across map etc.

I don't disagree with you there. I've mentioned previously in the thread what a difference resolution can make in games like that. 1080p (with some dynamic scaling) in Gears 4 is a huge step up from the old games, for example. Likewise, I can't handle Battlefield games at 720p, which is why I didn't want to get TF2 on Xbox One - I was worried about that blurriness and feeling like you can't line up shots as well you otherwise could. If I was, I would have bought it on Xbox and not bought a Pro yet. It's also why I'm happy with my Pro purchase. 

But you can't apply that to all games. Not every game is an FPS and resolution isn't always the most important setting. There are some very, very good looking 900p games out there that look better than they would at 1080p with other visual features turned off. 

Well, mines up and running. The new pad is stiff as fuck, way more than my last new one, and the buttons feel awful. I also thought the new pad had a new mini light, but it just has a transparent bit in the touchpad and the same old massive silly light. As well, Rocket League has wild stutters online about once a minute, as if someones hit fast forward on it. Never had it before, I think it's a quirk of the not actually the same hardware as before thing that they've done, and it's really jarring. As my most played game, this is not a happy situation.

1 minute ago, _Pow_ said:

jesus, I'd be throwing a proper mental

Im not thrilled but going mental wont change anything. Rocket league is updated constantly so if its a bug theyll catch it.  I hope its not systemic though.

10 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Does the game not have an offline area or something? 

I've never ever played it offline, tbh I've turned it off for tonight, but thats 5 or so games online ive played..1v1...and its happened a good 20 times, a really noticable judder of me, my opponent, and the ball moving.   The pad is doing my head in the same amount, I could swear the face buttons feel more sunk in to the plastic and harder to press. I think it's a good excuse to pick up one of those old style clear ones.  Mixed impressions for sure, the machine itself is very nice, but the pad and bugs are major downers after all the hassle.

This always happens with new systems, those little things you forget about, like getting rid of your super comfy pad to be greeted by a stiff plasticy different feeling one, to have a whole new slew of bugs or quirks come in that you never considered. Like when I went from snes cart to ps1 disc...oh right, of course...you can't save per game any more...that'll be 25 quid extra for a memory card sir! Oh and some games will eat up half the card...so that's another 25 quid sir.  Wow, love my new shiny n64...oh whats that, my 70 quid copy of turok has no in built save, I need an extra 20 quid memory card?  Cracking.

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Haven't noticed any difference to the feel of the pad other than the sticks being a bit weird but I have ORB stick covers on my other pad and will probably get some for this one, too. 

Any added stiffness is likely down to not having been used for 3 years straight. 

The pad I just got rid of was 11 months old and has only been used since summer.... when my launch ones battery was down to 2 hours and rubber sticks were a mess so I binned it. That pad felt great from new, this one is horrid.

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

You seem to be applying PC logic to console games. 

Some games which run at lower res on Xbox One look almost as good due to similar effects and good AA solutions. Having the same res as PS4 and turning everything else down would impact image quality more adversely. 

That's true, just the way the original post was framed made me think he was speaking from experience of dropping resolution to improve framerate. Perhaps it's more noticeable on a monitor rather than a TV, but I still maintain that dropping below native resolution is the last thing you want to do - yes, it provides a big performance boost but it also has the biggest impact on image quality. You'd be far better off to set everything else to low/off first to see if that provides a good enough framerate boost. 

5 hours ago, angel said:

not just me then.  damn, this is a serious fuck up by sony.

http://wccftech.com/ps4-pro-games-suffering-visual-bugs/

That article is about something different though: bugs with the visuals, not added stuttering. If you google it you can see numerous reports of stuttering in Rocket League going back to 2015. It doesn't look like a bug caused by the PS4 Pro hardware. 

That playing already released stuff isn't a 1:1 experience with playing on old hardware is an issue, although the size of it is hugely subjective.

I play a lot of things on PC and try to achieve 1080p60 as a minimum but I don't mind frame drops on the whole (the result of 20 years of console gaming). I also don't own any of the games that are suffering from frame-drops (TLOU, Skyrim, Deus Ex, ROTTR) and probably wouldn't mind that much. I've bought my Pro for future improvements rather than being able to play old games at 1080p60, though that's one of the appeals of PC.

But Sony releasing a console refresh, talk up all of its power and charge £350, and yet it doesn't do the basic job of the previous hardware and also doesn't play nicely with another recently released £350 peripheral (having to disconnect PSVR to use HDR), well it is a bad look for them. I'm happy to put it down to teething troubles and software patches not being an exact science but, if this happens to anything in the future (The Last Guardian, FFXV), no-one should be happy.