PS4 Pro

labarte

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

The list of games that do HDR isn't exactly huge yet, so most of the time you'll be OK with it plugged into the breakout box.

Ratchet & Clank is the first game I've tried that's given a prompt in the corner of the screen to say it's using HDR, so presumably none of the other games I'm playing at the moment make any use of it whatsoever. Therefore I'm going to have to sacrifice HDR for the time being. As everyone other than Sony knows, swapping cables is too inconvenient and potentially damaging.

*sigh*

For 1080p support, the Pro down-samples the 4K mode for all of these titles, offering enhanced image quality via super-sampling. However, the areas where performance is degraded remain impacted when running on a full HD display - meaning that there's nothing that Pro owners can do to get a smoother experience overall on these titles. In fact, the base PlayStation 4 will run these releases at a higher performance level overall at the expense of some image quality.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-why-are-some-ps4-pro-titles-running-slower-than-base-hardware

That is a bit worrying, but don't forget the last part. Hopefully these issues will be ironed out and won't happen with future games as they're still in development. 

We presented our findings to Sony yesterday and received this comment: "We are aware of the issue and currently investigating."

True, but first Sony bungles up the message behind this hardware with a lackluster presentation, forgets and simply refuses to mention PSVR actually makes better use of the Pro, and now this. 

My primary question remains: why does this thing exist?

I would do a trade in, but that means getting stuff off my old PS4, reinstalling its old 500GB drive, getting it back to work as a 'factory default' machine, get a PS4 pro, replace the internal drive with my 2TB one that used to be in my current PS4, reformat it, make it bootable, get the stuff back on gaaaaah.

I remember upgrading my PS4's 500GB drive to 2TB took forever, and this will be worse.

2 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

I would do a trade in, but that means getting stuff off my old PS4, reinstalling its old 500GB drive, getting it back to work as a 'factory default' machine, get a PS4 pro, replace the internal drive with my 2TB one that used to be in my current PS4, reformat it, make it bootable, get the stuff back on gaaaaah.

I remember upgrading my PS4's 500GB drive to 2TB took forever, and this will be worse.

Considering PS+ exists, I don't see why this is holding you back.

Can't say I'm surprised about some games performing worse. The way things have gone performance wise this generation, it's a given.

It appears Sony aren't enforcing the "must perform better than on regular PS4" thing as well as they should. You would hope that will change but I'm not that optimistic.

The main thing holding me back is that I have to either transfer over 1TB of games with all the decryption/encryption/decryption/encryption faffery over a USB line or downloading it from Sony's notoriously slow servers. Also, I don't have PS+ anymore as I don't play online anyway (I could do a 14 day free trial though).

Then again, maybe if I ditch all the PS+ freebie stuff I got in the old days, that should reduce the amount of data considerably.

2 hours ago, vezna said:

HDMI is apparently hot swappable but it's not a solution I'm comfortable with. The machine is under warranty so for now it'll do. I see a Neet switcher on Amazon that could be a solution but at £45 it's yet more expense. 

Does that pass through HDR? Does it increase lag in VR, even by a millisecond? 

There are various tech things that need to be considered, it's a bit of a minefield. Hopefully a solution will be decided on / developed soon. 

28 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

This was mentioned in one of the slides from the SCEA leak, lazy devs going to be lazy as some people wanted to reduce their workload and just do one Pro mode, Bethesda being the first, unsurprisingly considering their track record of technical excellence and going the extra mile for polish.

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Does that pass through HDR? Does it increase lag in VR, even by a millisecond? 

There are various tech things that need to be considered, it's a bit of a minefield. Hopefully a solution will be decided on / developed soon. 

It needs to be 4k 60hz hdr hdcp 2.2 compliant basically. 

Neet switcher

18 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

The main thing holding me back is that I have to either transfer over 1TB of games with all the decryption/encryption/decryption/encryption faffery over a USB line or downloading it from Sony's notoriously slow servers. Also, I don't have PS+ anymore as I don't play online anyway (I could do a 14 day free trial though).

Then again, maybe if I ditch all the PS+ freebie stuff I got in the old days, that should reduce the amount of data considerably.

Not really an effort downloading it is it? Queue them all up when you get to work online and they'll all be done by the time you get home.

12 minutes ago, mushashi said:

This was mentioned in one of the slides from the SCEA leak, lazy devs going to be lazy as some people wanted to reduce their workload and just do one Pro mode, Bethesda being the first, unsurprisingly considering their track record of technical excellence and going the extra mile for polish.

Yeah, but... Naughty Dog?

In unsurprising news NeoGAF have decided frame rate isn't important.

This thread is so misleading. Sure maybe it "performs" better in terms of framrate on OG PS4. But it LOOKS a million times better in 4K/HDR.

Maths isn't his strong point. It's right there in the name, 4K.

Having read through the article, it seems some of the more ambitious games are pushing the machine too far at certain points, at the expense of performance. From comments before launch, the amount of dev time put on doing these patches isn't huge and very few people actually worked on the Sony ones at least. All the problems seem fixable by simply dialing back graphics as they run without these performance problems on the weaker base machine, the alternative optimisation route could take ages and might not iron out all of it anyway. the law of diminishing returns applies there too.

I imagine a lot of these Pro patches have been either rushed out with the minimum amount of effort required. I hope it's because those games have already been released and aren't as much of a concern anymore for the developers or publishers, rather than it being a trend that will carry on with new releases. Fingers crossed they'll release another patch to fix things. If games that haven't been released yet launch with poor Pro support then I'll be worried. 

Just now, _Pow_ said:

res is just a thing you turn down a bit to get a better framerate. 4K gaming can suck the whole of my cock

That's mind-bogglingly stupid. Resolution is the last thing you turn down to improve your framerate. 

21 hours ago, angel said:

Sounds a lot like mine last year. It never ever came back on.

Well after A LOT of messing around last night I got it to boot in safe mode.

Formatted it and started again.

Tried turning it on today and it's screwed again!! This time no luck get a safe mode boot and TBH I can't be bothered to keep trying.

Contacted Sony and all they said was try removing the Hdd and trying again. Still nothing so it's going back.

Gutted. I'd just started my Batman experience last night. It's was AMAZING!

I think I am back on for getting one, bit of a bonus cash injection coming my way but a couple of questions...

I assume the new pad will charge in the official dock?

Anyone tried to fit xbone sticks to the new pad? (first thing I would do so hoping someone else has already)

@angel I'm counting on a review from you of how the patched games are doing on a 1080p plasma!!

7 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think I am back on for getting one, bit of a bonus cash injection coming my way but a couple of questions...

I assume the new pad will charge in the official dock?

Anyone tried to fit xbone sticks to the new pad? (first thing I would do so hoping someone else has already)

@angel I'm counting on a review from you of how the patched games are doing on a 1080p plasma!!

The pads are basically the same except there's a light bar in the touchpad and the pad can be used over USB for reduced latency, so the dock and installing any Xbox One sticks should be absolutely fine.

7 hours ago, sir shrew said:

I don't think suggesting emperor's new clothes is being a dick.

There is real confusion about this console. Still. Even amongst people that own it.

I'm sure the benefits will become clearer with upcoming titles (Spider-man etc) but for now there's nothing wrong with poking fun. I'm sure Pro owners are happy with their purchase.

My wife still watches SD shit on my 4K TV And claims she cant tell the difference, some people are just blind to all the horrible jaggies, shimmering and general image quality when it comes to moving pictures.

3 hours ago, Radish said:

I imagine a lot of these Pro patches have been either rushed out with the minimum amount of effort required. I hope it's because those games have already been released and aren't as much of a concern anymore for the developers or publishers, rather than it being a trend that will carry on with new releases. Fingers crossed they'll release another patch to fix things. If games that haven't been released yet launch with poor Pro support then I'll be worried. 

That's mind-bogglingly stupid. Resolution is the last thing you turn down to improve your framerate. 

That's total crap. we see lots of games with 900p frame buffers and variable res. 

Sure, but that isn't you turning it down - that's someone else forcing it on you. Going below native res is going to have to have the biggest impact on image quality. If you want to improve frame rate and you need to tweak settings it really should be the last thing you change.