PS4 Pro

labarte

I finally escaped from GAME got it home and then spent +3 hours updating and downloading. So far its been quiet and dashboard etc seems a bit faster.

The couple of games I tried Last of Us and Dishonored 2 look good at 1080p.

Anyone know where I can pick up the official vertical stand?

2 hours ago, Tailfly said:

Only had a chance to try a couple games to see how it handled them, Hitman and No Mans Sky, it was whisper quiet! Do any games in particular cause the PS4 to get loud? I've definitely had it but can't remember what games it happened with...

The fans on my fat PS4 (that has been cleaned and its thermal paste refreshed) go mental during The Witcher 3. If I remember correctly, during Doom as well.

22 minutes ago, angel said:

Ive said this plenty, all shrew does is snark and post negativity. You need to sort it out shrewy, bring something other than moaning about stuff you haven't even played or got.

I very much agree. Top ten shit-poster of intense banality. 

In other news. COD:IW does appear to be downsampling and the framerate seems to be a tad more consistent. It looks stunningly good. 

COD:MWR does not appear to be downsampling. It looks the same as the game does on the base version. Although framerate drops are now almost totally eliminated.

Going to collect my Pro in a couple of hours, but I just realized that I will lose PT when I only back up saves and settings to a USB stick. I think I'll just delete every application apart from PT and during the back-up process tick the "copy applications" box to keep it.

That will work, won't it? :unsure:

My transfer took @Eighthours last night, which means I still haven't had a chance to try mine out yet. Tonight dough.

Also fucking hell I need a new TV, but having spent £700 on new PlayStation shit within the last four weeks, I don't think my wife will be too happy to learn that I've just dropped £1,200 on a new 4K HDR display.

I'll wait until December for that.

8 minutes ago, murray said:

My transfer took @Eighthours last night, which means I still haven't had a chance to try mine out yet. Tonight dough.

Also fucking hell I need a new TV, but having spent £700 on new PlayStation shit within the last four weeks, I don't think my wife will be too happy to learn that I've just dropped £1,200 on a new 4K HDR display.

Thats me, except I also bought the 4k TV and Move controllers.  At least it gives the wife something to complain about...

15 minutes ago, murray said:

Speaking of which, the 55 inch Samsung KS7000 4K + HDR + low input lag TV I bought at Curry's is now £999 (don't worry, I'm taking advantage of their 7 day price match to get the extra £70 I paid back!): http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue55ks7000-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-55-led-tv-10144941-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=almwrxtrl&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0045+(PLA)+TELEVISIONS~All+TVs~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001497021!146779293035!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=c&ds_kids=92700014577962240&PLA=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA9ZXBBRC29cPdu7yuvrQBEiQAhyQZ9C0fF7X-UuLsaHocy4hBPQyflBW6SNAyC5MNFCj24pkaAhNs8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJK9-5LKoNACFS2h7QodzI0M4Q

I didn't get to play anything last night apart from a minute of Titanfall 2, unfortunately. It looks really nice. The rest of the time was spent starting downloading all my PSN purchases and installing a few games from disc. I left loads of downloads running last night in rest mode, then started a few more off before work this morning!

This evening I will hopefully get a chance to hook up the PSVR and see if there are any differences between using it with the base model and the Pro, as well as trying The Last Of Us with HDR. I've had to put the Pro and VR on top of my TV unit, though, as the HDMI swap necessary when I want HDR content would be unbearable. I hope that Sony either bring out a new breakout box or a specific HDMI switcher dongle thingee.

One thing I am enjoying/loving with my pro is actually the V2 controller using it wired really improved it's input lag tremendously. Coupled with my Benq monitor i've never felt such precision. 

P.S. I am fully aware this sounds like an advert.

Edit: Taken from Techradar website for anyone who doesn't necessarily understand why I was mentioning it. (ignore the guff about "pro gamers" this made a difference to even an amateur like myself)

A more significant addition, especially for pro gamers, is the option to switch between the controller's Bluetooth connection and a wired USB data connection with the PS4. Previously, the USB connection would only supply charge, leaning on the Bluetooth connectivity regardless of whether it was plugged in or not.

This won't mean much to many players, but Bluetooth introduces an infinitesimal degree of lag to your controls. For a pro gamer, that can be the difference between a win (and a pot of e-Sports prize money) or a loss. So they'll no doubt be very pleased.

Where were all you fuckers last year when I was buying my new TV and everyone was telling me 4K was dead in the water, would not take off for years, and was barely perceptible under 60 inches anyway?  Now Footy is on the TV every other night in 4K, Netflix streams it, and there are two consoles out right now that support it either for games or movies!  ARGH!!

5 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

I'm equally positive about stuff I think is good. I may yet pick up a Pro but it's been a bit of a mess. I think it warrants criticism but I don't want to piss on anyone's bonfire. I do think gamers are prone to exhibit fanboy behaviour, I do it with my favourite franchises. I'm sure you'll be the first to admit you'll buy COD no matter how dubious the game is , and you will defend it passionately like you would your footie team. Similarly, scraping together money to buy a Pro, for slightly sharper IQ and less framedrops in MWR or whatever.. that's underwhelming imo. So yeah I'm being snarky and negative but, so what? It's not like it's entirely baseless. If you were secure in your purchase I don't get why it would bother you.

I'd be all over it if it could guarantee me some 60fps. There really wouldn't be much to complain about then. Other than games that do not appeal to me in the slightest, perhaps (besides Rez of course).

Is Resogun not getting a 4K patch? That would be most welcome besides being totally justifiable for them to partake in any effort involved.

There's plenty to criticise but being persistently snarky is tiresome. 

Tried inFamous last light and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the high res and high frame rate options in terms of the graphics. Haven't played it on my old PS4 in ages either, so can't see a huge difference. 

Waiting for the postie to bring Dishonored 2. 

People in justifying their purchase shocker

People in justifying their non purchase shocker

to be honest I would have one if it didnt seem such a faff, I just want to hand the shop my Ps4 and them to hand me the pro with everything on it already.  The more I see the benefits the more I will be pushed over that barrier.  I do think its fair to say that the benefits could have been better communicated by Sony, but maybe its like PSVR and when people see it running in game next to the vanilla console it will sell itself.

23 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I've had to put the Pro and VR on top of my TV unit, though, as the HDMI swap necessary when I want HDR content would be unbearable. I hope that Sony either bring out a new breakout box or a specific HDMI switcher dongle thingee.

This is doing my head in. I'm paranoid about killing the HDMI port on the back of the Pro. 

Damn, I just remembered that my PS4 controller has custom thumbsticks fitted, so before I shove it in the box to trade the whole console in at GAME, I'd have to perform the delicate surgery on the controller again. Fuck that. I tore my hair out the first time, and I swore never to reassemble a PS4 controller again for the sake of my sanity.

Then there would the whole faff with the 2TB hard drive I put in the PS4. Ughh.

I might wait a few months for PS4 Pro.

13 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

Damn, I just remembered that my PS4 controller has custom thumbsticks fitted, so before I shove it in the box to trade the whole console in at GAME, I'd have to perform the delicate surgery on the controller again. Fuck that. I tore my hair out the first time, and I swore never to reassemble a PS4 controller again for the sake of my sanity.

Then there would the whole faff with the 2TB hard drive I put in the PS4. Ughh.

I might wait a few months for PS4 Pro.

Exactly the same here. I'm sure my resolve will be tested, but it's a lot of faffing and, let's be honest, the regular old PS4 does a fine job, VR included :) 

6 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

I'm equally positive about stuff I think is good. I may yet pick up a Pro but it's been a bit of a mess. I think it warrants criticism but I don't want to piss on anyone's bonfire. I do think gamers are prone to exhibit fanboy behaviour, I do it with my favourite franchises. I'm sure you'll be the first to admit you'll buy COD no matter how dubious the game is , and you will defend it passionately like you would your footie team. Similarly, scraping together money to buy a Pro, for slightly sharper IQ and less framedrops in MWR or whatever.. that's underwhelming imo. So yeah I'm being snarky and negative but, so what? It's not like it's entirely baseless. If you were secure in your purchase I don't get why it would bother you.

On the first point, this may be important to someone in fact it is probably important to a lot of people hence why PC players laugh at consoles when they can't achieve 1080p 60fps. Why shouldn't someone want in on the action to find out what all the fuss is about? I'm not going to say anything about the money part you mentioned other than it is entirely irrelevant.

On the second point (clearly directed towards me) it has nothing to do with being secure in my purchase, I couldn't care if someone doesn't like it or think it's a waste of money I just can't be arsed reading yours or anyone else's constant whinging on something they have no first hand experience with, you can't give people a chance to experience the console first hand to see if it is worth the upgrade before desperately posting something snarky.

This new console is a fair bit more powerful than the base PS4, developers haven't had a massive chance to get the most out of it. 

Let's be honest, your negative posts are deliberate to trigger responses, you got the reaction you were looking for, congrats.

1 hour ago, BarryL85 said:

One thing I am enjoying/loving with my pro is actually the V2 controller using it wired really improved it's input lag tremendously. Coupled with my Benq monitor i've never felt such precision. 

P.S. I am fully aware this sounds like an advert.

Edit: Taken from Techradar website for anyone who doesn't necessarily understand why I was mentioning it. (ignore the guff about "pro gamers" this made a difference to even an amateur like myself)

Oh wow I wander if that makes rocksmith playable now via head phones

37 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

The list of games that do HDR isn't exactly huge yet, so most of the time you'll be OK with it plugged into the breakout box.

I have 5 oddly enough. Some of which I'd like to play for a while at least. 

18 minutes ago, Pug said:

It truly is a faff swapping HDMI's.

They must produce an upgraded breakout box as it's just a matter of time before the socket develops a fault.

HDMI is apparently hot swappable but it's not a solution I'm comfortable with. The machine is under warranty so for now it'll do. I see a Neet switcher on Amazon that could be a solution but at £45 it's yet more expense.