PS4 Pro

labarte

On 3/20/2016 at 1:18 PM, Stanley said:

I don't see how that would work.

You don't see how extra graphical processing power would help VR?  Really? Unless I have misunderstood the context of your post..

With the timing of this coming alongside the Playstation VR reveal, I wouldn't be suprised if this is more about bridging generations if Playstation VR proves to be very successful and a true mainstream proposition (which it certainly looks like it will).

As Sony have said, the VR kit costs the same as a new console, and there is a danger that if it hits mainstream adoption levels, it will start to canabilise sales for any playstation 5 hardware on the horizon. As a way to alieviate a support base that is now shelling out twice as much money for Sony hardware per generation, it might make more sense to iterate a cheaper playstation 4.5 followed by a Playstation VR 1.5, so two slighter hardware upgrades in staggered parallel, than the traditional big single console upgrade thus far.

If Sony announce a new Playstation platform this year, that is essentially a PS4.5 with improved CPU/GPU architecture I will eat my hat and film it and stick it on Youtube then link it in this thread. 

Why Sony would want to introduce a new platform when they're selling the current PS4 console at a 2:1 ratio against Xbox One, is beyond me and would make utterly no sense.

The one thing they may introduce, and what this story might be spinning is a new PS4 "Form-factor" or "SKU" or whatever that includes a 4K Blu-ray drive for 4K video but with no change to the internal architecture... maybe internal upscaling to 4K with current games. That could be a viable product, essentially buncling 4K video with a PS4 console. 

But that has the negative side-effect of making any PS4K machine more expensive than necessary for people who don't care about VR but want 4K, a bit like bundling Kinect 2.0 with every X1 turning out to be a bad idea, but probably not $100 more expensive than necessary in that hypothetical case. All the extra crap is in the breakout box anyway, not in the headset itself I believe.

"Outputting 4K" and "AAA releases playable at native 4K" are about as far away from the same thing as possible. My graphics card from 3 years ago can output 4K, but I doubt I'd get much running at that resolution.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

If Sony announce a new Playstation platform this year, that is essentially a PS4.5 with improved CPU/GPU architecture I will eat my hat and film it and stick it on Youtube then link it in this thread. 

Can you describe size and style as I'm bookmarking this post ;)

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Can you describe size and style as I'm bookmarking this post ;)

On 20 March 2016 at 11:11 AM, SMD said:

People would have to be utter mugs to buy an upgraded PS4.

Some might say, as a bit of a joke like, that they've got the perfect captive install base already then.

On 20 March 2016 at 11:11 AM, SMD said:

yeah, but if we wanted to keep buying the same console over and over with minor improvements we'd have Wii-us by now.

Plus we'd end up poor, Jon...

yeah, but if we wanted to keep buying the same console over and over with minor improvements we'd have Wii-us by now.

Plus we'd end up poor, Jon...

It seems feasible, but the price of the PS4.5 would be crazy.  I doubt they could even manage a $600-700 price point.

My GTX 970 can output to 4k 30fps at decent settings in most games, sometimes more.  And with Polaris and Pascal around the corner promising an excellent 4k experience on PC with a single GPU setup, it definitely seems feasible that the technology is much cheaper to achieve 4k nowadays.

Also, if they did come out with a PS4.5 I imagine select newly released PS4 titles would work on both the PS4 and PS4.5 and scale settings according to the console being used. Similar to how you can alter settings in PC games to cater to the performance of your system, but in this case probably completely automatic. Some devs may even offer updates to previous titles to be compatible in 4k on PS4.5.

It doesn't seem like it would hurt PS4 players if they did it this way, because then the upgrade becomes optional and software can be output to both consoles.  This may even be beneficial for PC gamers as there would be a smaller development gap meaning more PC ports from these titles.

5 hours ago, dood said:

You don't see how extra graphical processing power would help VR?  Really? Unless I have misunderstood the context of your post..

Yeah it wasn't the clearest of replies. What I meant was that I dont know whether developers would bother when all VR games have to.run at 60fps anyway and it's a fixed resolution. They could add extra effects, improve draw distance etc. I suppose but it would be a pretty small audience. A fraction of a fraction. 

I think any upgrade like this would be squarely aimed at improving framerates and resolution. 

I was directly referencing the quoted text that kicked off the thread.

"Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this Autumn. It’s unclear if ‘PS4.5’ is an official name or just a nickname that developers have been using. One developer jokingly called it the ‘PS4K’ while telling me about the device."

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/18/sources-say-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5

Is it possible this is a new design to include the extra processor that is being shipped with the PlayStation VR? 

Is it possible this is a new design to include the extra processor that is being shipped with the PlayStation VR? 

On 20/03/2016 at 1:18 PM, Stanley said:

It could theoretically allow better textures and perhaps more polygons in models. Having to spit out two viewpoints is likely to mean some compromises on the ol' PS4.

It won't of course, because this story is complete bollocks.

It could theoretically allow better textures and perhaps more polygons in models. Having to spit out two viewpoints is likely to mean some compromises on the ol' PS4.

Since the forum went offline Eurogamer and several others confirmed the existence of a PS4K, saying Sony currently have prototypes. It has a lot of media features but is apparently also more powerful, but not to 400% extent needed for AAA to hit 4K, like maybe 60% more powerful or something.

So yeah I would bet it's for VR.

For those who didn't watch: apparently the PS4.5 will render game content in 1080p but then upscale to 4k.  The price point will be $400 US and the price of the original PS4 will decrease.  So it's not true 4k gaming, just upscaling content rendering at 1080p.  This will make it look smoother than if you played a 1080p gaming without upscaling in 4k, but it's still just 1080p at the end of the day.

The console will feature newer hardware allowing for better game performance in previous PS4 titles, as well as better visual enhancements in newer titles.  And apparently the performance difference between consoles is "noticeable".

Set to release during the holidays later this year.

For those hoping for a true 4k gaming console, you'll have to wait a bit longer I suppose.  (or switch to PC)

The console will feature newer hardware allowing for better game performance in previous PS4 titles, as well as better visual enhancements in newer titles.  And apparently the performance difference between consoles is "noticeable".

Balls, I wonder how long till developers assume that as long as the 4.5 version hits 1080p 60fps the 4.0 edition can chug along at whatever.

There is a good discussion about it in this week's beastcast. I just don't understand why they're doing it at all. Seems like an incredibly daft risk to take - fracturing  the existing user base as well as pissing away lots of customer goodwill and satisfaction. It doesn't seem as if there are many people clamouring for new, more powerful hardware yet. Did Nintendo take over Sony and MS?

As far as I can tell the whole reason we ended up with these somewhat underpowered systems in the first place was that there seemed to be a lack of faith in the market for new consoles, and fuck knows why they had that idea, because everyone was desperate for the long-overdue new systems. Now they swing the other way and seem to have misplaced faith in demand for a fresh new round of upgrades. 

I find the gaming industry quite confusing at the moment. PS4 is doing very well, outpacing even the PS2 and apparently breaking all sorts of sales records... and at the same time Sony is shutting down developers and replacing the console ridiculously early in its life? Meanwhile MS are trying to merge console and PC in such a way that when reading between the lines at times it almost sounds like they are thinking about getting out of consoles, and turning 'xbox' into a walled garden OS OEMS can use. Finally everyone still seems weirdly reticent to put many games out.

I have the money sitting ready to finally buy a current console now that there is a plethora of stuff to play... and the platform holders are telling me not to because something better is coming out soon - and once that comes out of course you can expect the full next gen 2 to 3 years after that. At that rate you are actually better off with a PC.

You guys don't have to buy a PS4.5 if you wanna just keep your PS4.  All new games will still work on both supposedly.  They'll just have higher settings on the 4.5..

It shouldn't make you upset unless they decide to forgo game creation on the PS4 and put all development towards 4.5, which they said they wouldn't do.. so you're fine.  If it irks you that someone will be playing the same game with slightly better visuals, perhaps I shouldn't tell you about the PC Master Race, as they've been at it for years.

They're doing it because they have to, because the competition are doing it. By not doing it MS would have a considerably more powerful console on the market 

But yes, it's going to damage sales. And with PSVR on the way? 

I guess this is just something we're going to have to get used to. The new architecture of these consoles allows them to increase the power without really increasing the cost too much. So expect a new machine every 3 years.

29 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

You guys don't have to buy a PS4.5 if you wanna just keep your PS4.  All new games will still work on both supposedly.  They'll just have higher settings on the 4.5..

It shouldn't make you upset unless they decide to forgo game creation on the PS4 and put all development towards 4.5, which they said they wouldn't do.. so you're fine.  If it irks you that someone will be playing the same game with slightly better visuals, perhaps I shouldn't tell you about the PC Master Race, as they've been at it for years.

It's perfectly understandable that people are potentially bothered, or cautious about buying a PS4 right now. Since consoles began we've had one chipset per generation. No matter when you bought your console it didn't matter. The games were optimised to gain maximum performance from the hardware. So this changes everything.

One of the nice side effects of this is that it could potentially improve all existing games. Uncharted 4 at 60FPS?  

Lol at the people who even thought this would be a 4k rendering device.

The obvious thing to do is shove a 4k scaler in there given the trend in TV tech these days.

Would like to see a hardware AA thing too.

Maybe they will update the video encoder chip thingy to allow for 1080p streaming and then include all of the VR gubbins so it only needs a single cable.

If they include the VR box in the 4.5 system, this would require four versions of the PSVR hardware to be on sale at any one time - 2 bundles and 2 standalones. To say this would be confusing would be an understatement. For this reason it won't happen.