rllmuk

8 minutes ago, Majora said:

My Pro isn't that much noisier than my One X to be honest, although it sounds like I may have gotten lucky when I read other people's comments. I have a white Pro, I wonder if that makes the slightest difference.

The thing that bugs me the most about the Pro is the USB ports being on the front so there's a permanent cable running from the front to my external hard drive that you can't hide.

Do you have something else plugged into the rear one ?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Majora said:

My Pro isn't that much noisier than my One X to be honest, although it sounds like I may have gotten lucky when I read other people's comments. I have a white Pro, I wonder if that makes the slightest difference.

It's possible, there has been a change in model numbers from the release ones (7116 from 7000, or something like that) and apparently there are two different fan makes in use as well, it's annoying things like this are still so variable even this far into a console's life. Mind you, I even sent back my first X because the fan was noisy so it's not like premium stuff can't have the occasional problem, but at least I knew that should be near silent. Problem I have here is there's no consensus on whether the Pro should be quiet or not in the first place, and I hate that uncertainty. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stefcha said:

It's possible, there has been a change in model numbers from the release ones (7116 from 7000, or something like that) and apparently there are two different fan makes in use as well, it's annoying things like this are still so variable even this far into a console's life. Mind you, I even sent back my first X because the fan was noisy so it's not like premium stuff can't have the occasional problem, but at least I knew that should be near silent. Problem I have here is there's no consensus on whether the Pro should be quiet or not in the first place, and I hate that uncertainty. 

The new ones are quieter as outlined in the DF video. 

The 500 million PS4 Pro is one of the new models so a good example of one, but all the other normal PS4 Pro's made from then on are the new model. 

Mine is a launch day model, and it's not that loud at all.. but can kick up a fuss with some games. but it's not that loud, we've become spoilt. 

Just boot up a Gamecube or fat PS2 if you want loud! 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Or a Dreamast or Original Xbox - couldn't believe how loud they are, and that was after they had been taken apart and lovingly restored !

Repressed memories of that Dreamcast drive are likely to blame for going digital only as and where possible, this gen is the first time I've been able to go 100% digital throughout and it's great :wub: It'll be a joyous day when the handful of 360/PS3 physical games I've got are finally played and moved on. It'll just be bloody Wii U stuff left then, damn those high digital prices, lack of storage and timeless replayability :hmm: 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

Or a Dreamast or Original Xbox - couldn't believe how loud they are, and that was after they had been taken apart and lovingly restored !

My current, refurbished Dreamcast is also like a motherfucking hairdryer. 

My PS4 Pro is nothing in comparison. 

17 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Do you have something else plugged into the rear one ?

Wha? Is there actually a rear USB port on the Pro? How embarrassing.

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, Majora said:

Mine's white too, seems a safe bet to guarantee a newer version if noise really bothers you. I had 2015 OG style PS4 that was noticably quieter than either of my mates' PS4s bought around the same time (not sure why, could've been down to where they had them set up I guess) and the Pro certainly hasn't been any more noisy than that one was. It's very rare that I notice it above gameplay.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Wha? Is there actually a rear USB port on the Pro? How embarrassing.

I did not know that. That’ll be the new home for the VR unit.

Everything I've read about the PS4, the PS4 Slim, and the PS4 Pro leads me to believe that no two consoles make the same amount of noise. I don't know whether it's a silicon variability thing like that business they have to fine tune on the OneX or they're just not putting the thermal paste on right or what, but not even benchmarking sites using audio meters can seem to agree on it.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Everything I've read about the PS4, the PS4 Slim, and the PS4 Pro leads me to believe that no two consoles make the same amount of noise. I don't know whether it's a silicon variability thing like that business they have to fine tune on the OneX or they're just not putting the thermal paste on right or what, but not even benchmarking sites using audio meters can seem to agree on it.

That's the annoying thing.  I have a base PS4. I'd quite like to upgrade but there seems to be no guarantee of getting a quiet one.  And the longer i wait for the all clear to be given on them the closer it is to PS5 time.   Lord knows how loud that's going to blow. 

• Empathy 1

9 hours ago, ronin said:

Yes . If you stick a pro against a wall corner , on its side , underneath a speaker , with virtually no airflow . It’s going to get a bit noisy . 

If you stick it somewhere a bit less constricted , it will be less noisy .

0608DD21-3F95-4E7D-B87F-B93FD1D61FB6.png

My X is in a corner, sat on top of my amp with an Analog Super NT on top of it and it’s absolutely silent. It’ll probably be having a PS4 Slim sat on top of it soon as well, seeing as there’s no way I could trust a Pro in that stack.

44 minutes ago, JPL said:

My X is in a corner, sat on top of my amp with an Analog Super NT on top of it and it’s absolutely silent. It’ll probably be having a PS4 Slim sat on top of it soon as well, seeing as there’s no way I could trust a Pro in that stack.

Regardless of what kit you have , it’s never a good idea to stack it all up . Heat is a killer . For every 10degree C increase in temperature, an electrolytic capacitors life is halved, and an amp and one x will have more than few of them  . So if you keep things cool you will extend the life of your electronics . 

If you stack things up , you will increase the ambient temperature. 

9 hours ago, JPL said:

The PS4 slim is a lottery when it comes to noise as well unfortunately. 

12 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Regardless of what kit you have , it’s never a good idea to stack it all up . Heat is a killer . For every 10degree C increase in temperature, an electrolytic capacitors life is halved, and an amp and one x will have more than few of them  . So if you keep things cool you will extend the life of your electronics . 

If you stack things up , you will increase the ambient temperature. 

Yeah, I know I shouldn’t do it, but I’m more concerned about keeping things looking neat than their longevity!

3 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

The PS4 slim is a lottery when it comes to noise as well unfortunately. 

Really? That’s not good to hear (ba-dum-tish!).

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

You're as bad as people that buy consoles based on how they look ;)

so, the PS4 pro is available in white, yeah?

I fully expect this to be a stupid question...BUT I've finally jumped into the 4K TV / PS4 Pro world and just wanted to check that I'm currently getting the best image possible. 

When I boot up Black Ops 4, a little notification top right of my TV pops up stating "HDR" and my video output info on the PS4 states this:- 

4_F8669_C9-881_B-4140-_AAB6-_E8479_BDB7_D97.thumb.jpg.9ab2fad5f4677628078f39c8565237de.jpg

Am I right in thinking I'm getting the best possible image my TV can give me? I think the game looks great and a huge upgrade on my PS4 and 1080P TV, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that could make it even better? I must admit I am clueless when it comes to resolutions, HDR etc. 

One more question, I've bought the Sony Wireless headset, currently the bluetooth dongle is plugged into my PS4, however as I have a relatively decent AV Receiver which outputs the sound when no headset is connected, would the sound quality in my headphones be improved if I connected the bluetooth dongle to AV Receiver instead? 

Ta! :)