IGNORED

PS4 Pro

labarte

An interesting question, and not one covered on

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/03/10/how-to-download-and-store-ps4-games-and-apps-to-an-external-hdd/#sf61487546

However: Buy digital game, install to drive, plug drive into another ps4, play

Seems like a short cut to piracy, and unlikely to be possible.

Far more likely the first format signs that drive to that ps4, and moving the drive will reformat. But then backups are different and allow things to be 'restored'...

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

An interesting question, and not one covered on

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/03/10/how-to-download-and-store-ps4-games-and-apps-to-an-external-hdd/#sf61487546

However: Buy digital game, install to drive, plug drive into another ps4, play

Seems like a short cut to piracy, and unlikely to be possible.

Far more likely the first format signs that drive to that ps4, and moving the drive will reformat. But then backups are different and allow things to be 'restored'...

I was assuming that playing from the external drive works in the same way as it does on the Xbox One where you can plug the drive into any Xbox One but can't play those games unless you're signed in at the time?

After biting the bullet and upgrading i can confirm that following update 4.50 if you have an external HDD the transfer process is as easy as:

1)Backup installed games onto the HDD

2)Upload Saves to the cloud

3)Sign in on Pro - connect HDD and Voila you're up and running

Took about 90 mins last night to transfer to the HDD in preparation (about 600gb) so possibly not any quicker than some of you guys experienced when connecting with Ethernet but this should help anyone who wants to prep and then trade up for a pro

10 minutes ago, Dude Ranch said:

Me too. I'd buy one with the free Horizon right now if I could find stock anywhere.

Tesco have it with Horizon for £369.99 (you have to click the bundle and save button). I already have the game so on the lookout for other offers.

Edit: Argos have the Horizon deal at £350   Nope out of stock sorry!

I just got my PS4 pro. I bought it mainly for the improved performance on BF4, the greatest game i've ever played.

This made me think about gaming history. Is this like buying a new Snes Plus instead of an N64, because you wanted an improved Super Mario World over Goldeneye? 

4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I just got my PS4 pro. I bought it mainly for the improved performance on BF4, the greatest game i've ever played.

This made me think about gaming history. Is this like buying a new Snes Plus instead of an N64, because you wanted an improved Super Mario World over Goldeneye? 

nah, this is more like custom chips (fx/dsp) in SNES carts extending the capabilities of the base console.

9 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

That it doesn't save the settings for HDR content in Game Mode? No, that's still an issue. But it's a mild inconvenience.

That every time you play a HDR enabled game you have to go into the menu and piss about with the picture settings and then remember to do the same for games which don't have HDR? Which of course means knowing which games are HDR or not too, on a game by hand basis. Sounds like a genuine faff, and it's stopping me pulling the trigger at the moment, so if I've misunderstood would love to know otherwise :) 

9 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Perhaps more akin to buying a £300 ram expansion pack for said N64. 

1 hour ago, Schnibbles said:

Question: I've not played any current-gen consoles, and considering either buying a PS4 off my mate for cheap or buying a new PS4 Pro - is the upgrade worth it?

if you have £350 to drop on a PS4 pro, do it.

I guess it depends whether you want to capitalise on higher resolutions, and/or whether you care about playing the best version of a game (on a console). The latter was the main reason I switched over to the Pro. Higher FPS all the way!

14 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Thinking of picking up a KS7000 for my Pro. Can anyone tell me if Samsung sorted the backlight/HDR issue described in this article?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-best-settings-for-hdr-on-samsung-4k-tvs

We're discussing it on OT, im in the same boat...50 quid off code taking it to 849.   I'm 60/40 on the fence of not bothering now though, due to the new QLEDs being out in 2 weeks, which I think will push the KS7000 down even more, and the fact that the breakout box only has 4 HDMIs, optical and 2 USBs.  No headphone jack for old amps.

Cheers Angel, I'll have a nose in OT. I'm actually possibly upgrading from a Sony 43XD8088, which has developed a banding problem,  but is otherwise a fantastic TV. 8+2 bit panel apparently, so not as many nits as the Samsung or Kelly from Junior school, but the HDR looked fantastic to my eyes (plus no need to tweak the settings every other game). Not sure whether to get the 49" Sony, which is IPS (and thus lower contrast/worse HDR?) as opposed to the VA 43" and Samsung. Fucking minefield.

Does the KS7000 have component input do you know? 

9 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

The TV will tell you if it's HDR or not. And yes, it is a bit of a faff. But the way I have my TV setup, I only need to adjust three settings:

Backlight - Drop from 20 to 10

Contrast - Drop from 100 to 90

Gamma - Drop from 0 to -1

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but post the Pro's release, aren't all PS4 releases HDR enabled? So it's only older games you'll need to adjust for, I think.

That's pretty much same as me except I ramp up the colour to 58 as HDR does bring the colour down a tad. 

But yeah, it takes 10 seconds tops, it's almost muscle memory now and the UI on the KS7000 is super responsive with the swanky remote.