PS4 Pro

labarte

So there are more people buying consoles than ever before but they are all old (how do we know this anyway) and even tho they didn't buy machines in the past you know they won't buy machines in the future.

Any danger you could let me know the lottery numbers?

It sounds like the same arguments that lead to the death of cameras when mobiles had them built in or the death of personal computers when tablets came out.

So there are more people buying consoles than ever before but they are all old (how do we know this anyway) and even tho they didn't buy machines in the past you know they won't buy machines in the future.

It sounds like the same arguments that lead to the death of cameras when mobiles had them built in or the death of personal computers when tablets came out.

Rev, I definitely feel that too. If the current consoles manufacturers don't do enough to convince the younger generation to buy consoles then it's done for.

That's why we are seeing mobile game ports, and experiments with Free-To-Play, Games as a Service and various DLC models.

It's why I find it strange to see people criticise Nintendo for the Wii, and the endless console wars discussion. I don't really want the future of games to be dictated by the models and game design employed by mobile gaming.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Consoles are a massive financial gamble, probably the biggest financial gamble in consumer electronics. There is no major corporation that will take that risk if they don't think it is a growth sector. The fact it makes money is neither here nor there for the majority of investors, they need it to promise to make more money in the future or they won't back it. If they lose kids, and they already have, there isn't anywhere to grow to and so they stop making consoles. 

The only question is when, not if.

That doesn't mean games will go anywhere, it probably doesn't even mean triple A games will go anywhere. They just won't be on a dedicated console.

7 minutes ago, Fury.HD said:

What makes you think kids don't want consoles any more? Its anecdotal, but my 10 year old niece and 13 year old nephew are into consoles and so are their friends. 

It's a small difference for that age range, although it's swinging:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/23/npd-study-on-kids-and-gaming/

It's things like this:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/oct/06/third-pre-school-children-have-own-ipad-study

That will make the decision though. Equally anecdotal, my girlfriend has a three year old with a tablet. 

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

Consoles are a massive financial gamble, probably the biggest financial gamble in consumer electronics. There is no major corporation that will take that risk if they don't think it is a growth sector. The fact it makes money is neither here nor there for the majority of investors, they need it to promise to make more money in the future or they won't back it. If they lose kids, and they already have, there isn't anywhere to grow to and so they stop making consoles. 

That doesn't mean games will go anywhere, it probably doesn't even mean triple A games will go anywhere. They just won't be on a dedicated console.

Can you link to the info about consoles losing kids, the closest I have found is that PC gaming is dead for kids but consoles have had a 7% drop but revenue is still up - maybe I'm missing some big data as the only info I can find is that console gaming is at an all time high measured on numbers sold, money invested and time played on them - PC gaming has lost out big time to tablets to younger people.

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

Can you link to the info about consoles losing kids, the closest I have found is that PC gaming is dead for kids but consoles have had a 7% drop but revenue is still up - maybe I'm missing some big data as the only info I can find is that console gaming is at an all time high measured on numbers sold, money invested and time played on them - PC gaming has lost out big time to tablets to younger people.

I can't see many games child gamers would want on any console but Nintendo. All the games seem to be either a retro homage to the eighties, esoteric walking sims, terrifying or bloodthirsty killathons.

Quite a ways from the Jet Set Willies and Sabre Wulfs I grew up with. I guess that's why, we all grew up with games and now want them for now us rather than kiddie us. Which is why there'll always be room for Nintendo who seem to be just about the only Devs with universal appeal these days.

You what, mate? I've lost count of the hours my 3 and 6 year olds have spent driving around The Crew and, now, Forza Horizon 2. Said 6 year old also canes Lego games and is getting into Minecraft.

If they like Nintendo, it's because that's what you've sat them down in front of.

There is no way consoles are dying out for kids. My 2 boys who are 10 and 12 love their 360, and all their mates have them too. Yes, my 10 year old has a tablet, but it;s the 360 that gets the most use.

Its the ease of sitting down, slapping in a disc and playing on their own or with their mates. While we had Jet Set Willy, Atic Atac etc they have Minecraft, Terraria, the Lego games, and a ton of other stuff. They enjoy my PS3 when they stay with me, and love their 3ds XLs. Yes, it;s all anecdotal, but I don't see anything different in my boys and their friends playing habits and discussions that I didn't see when I was a kid. There have always been format wars, but again, you tend to want what your friends have got so you can talk about the games, play together and swap games as well. 

I know this thread has been derailed a bit, but I have been hearing for years about the death of consoles and it's bobbins. Tablets are cool, for certain types of game. PCs are cool, but a pain in the arse to get working properly, consoles are easy and fun, and after MS tried to reposition the Bone as an all round entertainment device, they now concentrate on games as their focus and marketing. They will be around for ages yet, no fear

7 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I can't see many games child gamers would want on any console but Nintendo. All the games seem to be either a retro homage to the eighties, esoteric walking sims, terrifying or bloodthirsty killathons.

Quite a ways from the Jet Set Willies and Sabre Wulfs I grew up with. I guess that's why, we all grew up with games and now want them for now us rather than kiddie us. Which is why there'll always be room for Nintendo who seem to be just about the only Devs with universal appeal these days.

That'll be why the WiiU has sold so well yeah?

I'd also argue that as kinds get more into games, the kinds of thing they see on console will seem more compicated / alluring / rewarding.   Most of the kids I know who play minecraft prefer the non-touch control versions because, well, you all know why. 

7 hours ago, TehStu said:

You what, mate? I've lost count of the hours my 3 and 6 year olds have spent driving around The Crew and, now, Forza Horizon 2. Said 6 year old also canes Lego games and is getting into Minecraft.

If they like Nintendo, it's because that's what you've sat them down in front of.

Yeah mate, you what?  TheStu's kids spend hours driving around in serious business racing sims aimed at adults.  *Exactly* like the Sabre Wulfs and Jet Set Willies you grew up with.

I think womblingfree does have a point.  Kids can definitely find fun in most videogames you'll sit them in front of, but there's not as much actually aimed at a wider age range these days. 

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

That'll be why the WiiU has sold so well yeah?

So the Wii U sold poorly because Mario World 3D, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors and Wind Waker HD are unappealing? It sold poorly because it was a weird console poorly marketed, but it single handedly pumped out the best titles of this gen in the years while the other consoles were finding their feet.

Same with Dreamcast. It had amazing games while PS2 had shite games and sold about as well as overpriced sheeps eye balls.

My kids 7 & 11 both love consoles and so do their friends, only 2 of my friends kids don't have a console, both of them are in households where the parents have never had consoles, the kids aren't interested in games full stop.

my kids are playing less games on the iPad now and spend more time watching console games on YouTube if they aren't playing themselves.

both of my kids would take a PlayStation or an Xbox over a Nintendo console.

Dreamcast had amazing games if you mainly loved 3 minute arcade blasts here and there. It also had a crap pad. It also had a massive lead on PS2. 

I don't think the reason Wii U didn't sell and why DC didn't sell are comparable really.

It's at best pre-school kids, but mostly ones who don't exist yet who are the deciding factor, not 7-12 year olds. Kids making conscious decisions now are the target for the PS4 or PS5, not people who will affect decisions when Sony are considering making a PS7 or not. Sony want proof the generation after want to adopt them en masse and I don't think there will be any.

Tablets will be more than powerful enough to do 4K and VR, they already connect to TVs, physical media will be dead. Why would a 10 year old buy into a proprietary format when they've spent pretty much their entire life with a tablet that's equally powerful?

33 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

So the Wii U sold poorly because Mario World 3D, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors and Wind Waker HD are unappealing? It sold poorly because it was a weird console poorly marketed, but it single handedly pumped out the best titles of this gen in the years while the other consoles were finding their feet.

Same with Dreamcast. It had amazing games while PS2 had shite games and sold about as well as overpriced sheeps eye balls.

If they were that appealing then people would have bought the console for them. I have no interest whatsoever in any of those games despite having been a Nintendo fan in the GC days for instance. 

Plus y'know opinons. There have been loads of good games out that aren't by Nintendo.

3 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

If they were that appealing then people would have bought the console for them. I have no interest whatsoever in any of those games despite having been a Nintendo fan in the GC days for instance. 

Plus y'know opinons. There have been loads of good games out that aren't by Nintendo.

On the contrary I have an interest in all of those games and more on Wii U, but I haven't bought one because it's ill conceived and overpriced. 

1 hour ago, Rev said:

but mostly ones who don't exist yet who are the deciding factor

Wait, are you saying that consoles are dead because of the kids that don't exist yet?! Nothing wrong with a bit of speculation, but this above and beyond.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

but mostly ones who don't exist yet who are the deciding factor

Wait, are you saying that consoles are dead because of the kids that don't exist yet?! Nothing wrong with a bit of speculation, but this above and beyond.

4 hours ago, Camel said:

[...]  Kids can definitely find fun in most videogames you'll sit them in front of, but there's not as much actually aimed at a wider age range these days. 

Fair point, but that wasn't his.

Consoles are constantly evolving. Just look at what you can do now on one compared with ten years ago. 

But I think that as long as we have TV's people, including kids, will play games on them. Anyone arguing that consoles aren't dying aren't literally saying we'll all be having black boxes under our TV's for all eternity.

I think streaming will play a part, yeah, and those services, like PS Now, will be available with the latest games on whatever screen you choose. I mean technically they could do that now. But I still think we'll have hardware running games locally, partially at least. Be that a console, tablet, laptop or whatever.