Golf - Good Walks Spoiled

glb

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Sungjae Im’s backswing is messing with me eyes, it’s like the coverage is suffering from slowdown before his slow backswing goes to normal speed.

Ha ha, same effect on me. 

Tiger went on to birdie 5 of the remaining 6 holes after his disaster on 12. Class.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone in here actually play?

I do, but I'm shit.

Recently joined a club and for now enjoying it. It's been a nice replacement as football takes a back seat in my 50's ...

37 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Does anyone in here actually play?

I do, but I'm shit.

I love the game but am also shit. Wish I had taken it up as a kid. Fortunately you can play into old age.

Masters week! My favourite sporting event. 

I'd quite like to, hitting a ball with a stick now and again seems to me like a fine way of making a good walk slightly more interesting, despite the cliche. I'm not really good enough for a proper course though, only those par 3 type pitch 'n putts really. And the time needed to get myself up to sufficient level is so hard to come by, I feel like I'd have to choose between it and my mountain biking. 

Still, the boy has shown an interest so it might yet happen that way.

I play but too infrequently to be any good at the minute. When I did play regularly was down to about an 18 handicap. Would like to get to that again, maybe now I’m in my 40s golf is the ideal sport to start playing again, at least for a decade before my back and knees give out.

Not properly since I was a nipper really, I dabble I suppose. Work briefly allowed me time with customers to go for a few rounds, but that was years ago. We turned up to a few supplier competitions and wiped the floor with the lot of them as they'd give me an 18 handicap as I was unaffiliated with a club. Bandits.

I got down to 9 back in the day with loads left in the tank. I should be a really good golfer without the fire of youth in my belly, but I'm so time poor.

I can't think of any sport I'd rather not learn to play, you should all take up something else....

I may get back into it.

Maybe.

• 4 months later...

So, one of my boys has given up rugby, and decided to have a go at golf.

I'm not the right person to teach him, but I did have a few swings in the range between his shots.

It was rather splendid. I'm very lucky that it's like throwing my leg over a bike.

• 3 weeks later...

it seems to me that a lot of these Americans here are very good at golf. But yeah, he's playing it like one of the videogames where you get powerups.

It doesn't even feel like the Europeans are making many mistakes, but they could be a long way back after day 1.

I haven't really been watching much, but I've kept an eye on the scores and it's likely to be a hammering in the singles, where the US traditionally excel. Has it been a case of wrong pairings/poor game management or have the Americans just been as good as the score suggests?

A few European players aren't playing great, McIlroy for instance looks like he's never going to hole a pressure putt again in his life and maybe Poulter is finally past it, but mainly the US have just been very good indeed. 

I doubt Harrington would be able to do much about it by changing pairings if he had the chance to go back in time. I think the Euro tour might just be in a bit of a relative trough right now. Rahm and Garcia have been a treat to watch, Hovland is looking a long-term prospect, Hatton too. Lowry was great fun yesterday as well.

I think this is a tournament too far for Poulter, yeah, which is a shame as he has been a great advert for it but his form wasn't good coming into it and Justin Rose no doubt felt hard done-by.

The senior players have struggled too, though not to the same extent as at Valhalla (I still feel Faldo had a lot of unfair flack in that tournament because nearly all of his senior pros let him down quite badly. Yes, I was a Faldo-fanboy :D

On 15/11/2020 at 16:50, Blue said:

Tiger at the 158 yard, par3 12th:

Shot 1: In the water.

Shot 3: In the water.

Shot 5: In the bunker.

Shot 6: In the water!

Shot 8: Still not on the green.

Shot 10: In the hole. :wacko:

A bit late to the party, but we all know about his ladies.

When you're getting thrashed and trying to fight for every point, it doesn't help when your opponents seem to get every break. Lowrey's putt to win a hole does a 360 round the lip and stays out, the grass on the edge of the lake somehow defies the laws of physics and stops Scheffler's ball that appeared to be steaming into the water, and now whoever's working the scoreboard has given a hole McIlroy won to his opponent. At least the last one seems to have been rectified, but at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if there was an update saying that Sergio Garcia had been eaten by a T-Rex or Westwood's house had burnt down.  

This is looking like a record margin of victory, frankly, which befits arguably the best Ryder Cup side ever assembled.

Yeah, it feels like the US have had most of the luck over 3 days, but they haven't actually needed much of that at all so it's mainly just been used in a 'stop, stop they're already dead' kind of way. 

You look at the European team and outside of Rahm and McIlroy (and he had a poor tournament), there's few players there the Americans would've rated all that highly if we're being honest (Garcia still has the occasional bit of magic I suppose). Look at that US team though and there are lots of multi-major winning players and the area they traditionally struggled with - being a team for days 1 & 2 - they have certainly cracked for this tournament. It wouldn't surprise me to see them dominating the next 3/4/5 editions of the competition with these guys and the relative paucity coming through the the European side.

1 minute ago, milko said:

Daaaamn, Rory is properly emotional about it all. 

Yeah, it clearly means a lot to him.

But it's a changing of the guard and most likely his last time with a number of these players: Poulter, Westwood, Casey, Garcia are all some way past their prime and I'd be surprised to see (m)any of them again. I then look at the others in the team and just don't see any spine you would want to have in future editions unlike the old days of Faldo/Woosnam/Lyle/Seve or Olazabal/Garcia/Poulter/McDowell.

Interesting times ahead for both teams, for sure.