rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
glb

Golf - Good Walks Spoiled

The Masters has got pretty exciting this evening.  First McIlroy made a thrilling charge including a chipped-in eagle to get level with Reed's -9, before Reed responded with three birdies in a row as Rory started to scramble.  Meanwhile Tommy Fleetwood made five birdies in a row to get to -7, ending on -6.  Then it's just started to piss down, disrupting both the leaders.  Reed made a bogie, while Rory ballsed-up his second on the par 5 13th straight into a large area of flower bushes.  He somehow scooted the thing out along the ground and saved his par.  

To top this all off, Peter Alliss has just said, over a picture of the solidly-built Jon Rahm lining up a shot, "Here's Rahm.  Trousers full of legs, my Mother would have said."

• Upvote 1

What odds? Ain’t looking bad. 

On 06/04/2018 at 20:10, the_debaser said:

Put £20 on Reed to win it a couple of months back. He’s looking good at the moment but I think it might be Rory’s year. 

Possibly, yeah. They've been a touch unlucky, as the golf has been pretty even. McIlroy and Olesen were well beaten by a very strong pairing of Johnson and Fowler, and Spieth played superbly to beat Casey and Hatten. Even in that one, The European pair showed great fight to get back to all square from three down, and Hatten had a putt to win the last and halve the match.  Fleetwood and Molinari won what was a really good Ryder Cup battle to beat Woods and Reed. That was closer than it looked in the final score of 3&1. The huge disappointment is Rose and Rahm being beaten by Finau and Koepka. They were cruising in that match, while the USA pair were all over the place. They were lucky to still be in it after ten or so holes. They had a lucky break to win it on the 16th.

That match should have been a point for Europe, but they contrived to lose it, and that could end up being significant in the final score. It certainly feels significant psychologically right now. Europe are already underdogs, and now they have to come from behind.

Yeah but it's Sergio. he ain't gonna just reel 'em off without some disasters. Still going well! Kinda feel like USA will do this comfortably in singles but you never know, I wonder if we'll front-load our best guys to try and get ahead early. (lol, getting ahead of myself with a whole day more of this team stuff to go yet)

Isn't anyone else glued to the Ryder Cup then? It's been amazing so far. I do think the singles draw favours the USA today though. What we needed was to match three or four of our best, most in-form players against their worst guys to make the 4 1/2 points we need that bit more straightforward. What's happened though is that every one of the singles match-ups could go either way. It's got "impossible comeback" written all over it.

_103629855_getimage.png

You'd hope McIlroy can get us off to a good start, but Thomas has been excellent for the US. Koepka hasn't played consistently, but he's had so much luck, and occasionally pulled off great shots. You'd hope Rose will pick up a win, but again Webb Simpson has been playing well. Woods hasn't picked up a point yet, but he will beat Rahm, who has had a poor Ryder Cup.  Fleetwood has been amazing, and he's up against Finau, who's been all over the place and occasionally amazingly lucky. That should be a point, but rookies never win 5/5. Johnson will be too good for Poulter. Spieth too good for Olesen. Garcia Vs Fowler could go either way. Molinari Vs Mickleson should be a win as Molinari has been our standout player and Mickleson is in no form, but he's still Phil Mickleson, probably playing his last Ryder Cup match, and he'll want to sign off in style. Hatton Vs Reed is two players who've struggled a bit - Reed was hopeless yesterday. Again though, the American does have an advantage in class if he can get his game together. Stenson is a solid chance of a point, but you never know when Bubba Watson is going to do something amazing. If it comes down to Noren Vs Dechambeau, then who knows? They're both unknown quantities in this situation.

Europe are still strong favorites, and very much in the driving seat, but it's not that obvious where our points will come from. Exciting!

USA gonna get the outright win here. I can feel a Europe collapse coming. :(

Edit: Or I’m talking cock. Thankfully!

And who could possibly have predicted Fleetwood would have a shocker after his fourball/foursome performance? Everyone probably.

I think you'll find I did, further up the page. Well, sort of.  I predicted that all the Europeans would lose.

I've felt it was going this way all day, since the match-ups were announced. It's going to be close.  There's no need to panic though, we're still up in quite a few matches, and if Casey can beat Koepka that will be huge.

Edit - they halved it just as I was posting.  That's a pretty decent result anyway against one of the USA's best players.