rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strider

Post your mame cabs

Picked this up at the weekend. it's a bit ugly but was relatively cheap. i need to upgrade to a newer version of mame so i can add scanlines to the lcd display but it still plays perfectly fine. Even runs third strike which is nice!

image.thumb.jpg.ec8d30c8d43f20fbf97c815f

• Upvote 6

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: 

My Astro City is being looked after at Arcade Club in Bury. I'm going to get one of those carts which has all the CPSIII titles on to get my 3rd Strike fix once I'm done renovating.

Turnarcade cab that I bought at the very first Play Expo in Blackpool about 5 years ago. Runs about 10 different machines.

Doesn't get as much play as I would like these days, kids like to have a blast every now and again though, need to play it more with them.

IMG_20160315_191623.jpg

• Upvote 4

Not the prettiest by far but a bargain at £300 from a guy moving to Tasmania. Played at the weekend and realised it needs a bit more power inside it. Next project maybe. It's odd in that it plays neogeo stuff without too many issues but struggles with Bubble Bobble. Contains a 438 in 1 device.

image.thumb.jpeg.49999c7a97bac914629fb05

• Upvote 1

Some cool stuff. I was going to get a Turnarcades cab, but the price started rising higher and higher due to all the cool extras I wanted. In the end I got this one for just over £400 and I'm really happy with it. It took an absolute hammering on Combat School last night (the arm wrestling went to a draw) and it's performing fine.

I'd love to make one like Swainy, but I sadly don't have the time, skills or aptitude to do it :(. Great to see everyone's machines though. Keep them coming :)

I also bought a Turnarcade cab (just the cab) about 5 years ago.

I spent about 10 hours creating a custom marquee image for it which, oh wait one second, is EXACTLY the same as the one that's one memories' cab up there a few pics up!

Craig Turner nicked my image and used it for his own eh!?!?!

Memories: that means you owe me, let's say... £500 for the use of that image (£100 per year sound okay to you)?  PM me for my PayPal details please 8-)

On a more serious note, my monitor has recently died.  I don't get a picture any more.  I'm told there are guys that can repair them (just the PCB needs sending to them) but don't know anyone like that.  Do any of you?  It's a Pentranic 27" multisync jobbie if that makes a difference.

Oh and pics are here:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Cheers...

• Upvote 5

I bought it off a seller on ebay. He was offering free shipping within the M25 area, and he agreed to deliver to my door in Bournemouth if we made the sale off Ebay so he could save on fees. It has a 3.2GHZ processor and 2GB of RAM so plays everything I'm currently interested in and it's nice and clean inside the cab (it's a modified quiz machine and the front lifts up like a bonnet for easy access).

It's a little rough around the edges and in a perfect world it would have the latest edition of Mame (something I'll eventually add) but all in all it's hard to complain for the price I paid. There's some overlap that you can see where the monitor is a little too small, but when you're playing you don't notice it at all.

Here's another image of it.

cab.JPG

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, WizRider said:

I also bought a Turnarcade cab (just the cab) about 5 years ago.

I spent about 10 hours creating a custom marquee image for it which, oh wait one second, is EXACTLY the same as the one that's one memories' cab up there a few pics up!

Craig Turner nicked my image and used it for his own eh!?!?!

Memories: that means you owe me, let's say... £500 for the use of that image (£100 per year sound okay to you)?  PM me for my PayPal details please 8-)

That is shocking, I just assumed that it was something they had made up themselves, cheeky fuckers.

Bit hazy but from memory he sent me a page that had a loaf of marquees on it to select from and that was one of them.

Loving your work though, I picked it because I liked that it had loads of characters on it.

Oh and cheques in the post...

For what it's worth, I can't recommend Turnarcades (and not just cos he nicked my marquee image).  Everything is a bit wobbly and glued together.  It looks amazing (the photos above don't really do it justice) but when you give the sticks a bit of welly or when the bass kicks in on a game then it does rattle a bit.

Just a bit shoddy over all.  Perhaps memories' cab is better or perhaps the fact that mine was the biggest he'd built at the time meant that it's not as strong structurally.  Regardless, I still couldn't recommend them.

Cheers...

12 hours ago, strider said:

It has a 3.2GHZ processor and 2GB of RAM so plays everything I'm currently interested in and it's nice and clean inside the cab (it's a modified quiz machine and the front lifts up like a bonnet for easy access).

That should be enough to handle Model 1 and Model 2 Sega games?! Also Ultra SFIV from Steam!

MAME from the last couple of years copes with Model 1 fine.

Get a hold of Model 2 emulator for VF2 etc. If you have a FF Steering wheel you can hook up, Sega Rally is incredible!

You might be able to run Model 3 with Supermodel too?! Scud Race is amazing with a wheel!

My cab's specs are: 

Q6600 @ 3ghz, 4 gig ram and a 9600gt gfx card. Very out of date but runs all the above. 

Will post pics later...

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, strider said:

I bought it off a seller on ebay. He was offering free shipping within the M25 area, and he agreed to deliver to my door in Bournemouth if we made the sale off Ebay so he could save on fees. It has a 3.2GHZ processor and 2GB of RAM so plays everything I'm currently interested in and it's nice and clean inside the cab (it's a modified quiz machine and the front lifts up like a bonnet for easy access).

It's a little rough around the edges and in a perfect world it would have the latest edition of Mame (something I'll eventually add) but all in all it's hard to complain for the price I paid. There's some overlap that you can see where the monitor is a little too small, but when you're playing you don't notice it at all.

Here's another image of it.

cab.JPG

Looks good and does the job! I've had a couple of cabs over the years but my fav was an old cab I drove down to Devon for (from Manchester), was a MAME beast at the time was huge.  Had to get rid when I eventually moved as I would never have got it upstairs in my flat but one day I'll get another. These days I'm on iMame, my iPad and an iCade, does the job extremely well and because it's so small can just be shoved under a desk.

4 hours ago, Backwater said:

That should be enough to handle Model 1 and Model 2 Sega games?! Also Ultra SFIV from Steam!

I'm running a 2014 version of MAME - on my average desktop PC - and I don't bother with 3D games due to unreliability. Sega Model 1 games are compatible and seem to run okay, but the MAME people haven't gotten around to Model 2, Naomi, etc. So games like Sega Rally, Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2, and then anything from the Dreamcast era are not playable. There are other emulators for those boards but I haven't bothered.

I also struggle with 3D games for other boards -- Namco games for example. They max out the CPU and suffer from too much stuttering and slowdown. I've heard it's because MAME doesn't use the GPU, it wants to keep everything in software, and also because MAME is about technically perfect emulation and "it's just a side-effect if you can play the games." :rolleyes:

The 3D Sega STV games run horribly for me in MAME, I assume there's another emulator out there?

One problem I have with Virtua Racing in MAME is the apparent lack of FF Wheel support which is a shame.

I'm able to play Tekken 3 / Tag and Soul Edge in MAME too, they work pretty well.

Almost all Cave's stuff works fine... Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork suffer a wee bit of slowdown.

As I said, Model 2 stuff requires the Model 2 emulator but a 3ghz+ processor should be able to cope with that no problem.

image.jpegFour player controls with SFIV artwork

image.jpegKinda hard to get a decent photo in my dark mancave

image.jpeg

King of Fighters XIII running on Steam

image.jpeg

The scary innards of the control panel 

image.jpegVF3 running in Supermodel emu

i bought the system off a work colleague 2 years ago for...

£100!

It's a long story how he ended up with it, but his wife was sick of it cluttering up his hallway?!

Originally it came with a P4 3ghz PC running an ancient version of MAME. I swapped it out for my old Q6600 @ 3ghz with an NVidia 9600GT.

I downloaded the latest version of MAME along with emulators for various other systems and added Hyperspin for the front end. It also runs Steam and plays almost everything I've thrown at it... Ultra SFIV, KoFXIII and BlazBlue, Mushihimesama, Jamestown and more.

• Upvote 5

I've asked this before, but how easy is it to remove a 400 in 1 thing and put a PC into a cabinet instead?

14 hours ago, Backwater said:

If you have a FF Steering wheel you can hook up, Sega Rally is incredible!

That's sounds ace, will look into it. Thanks for the heads up :)

• Upvote 1

On 16/03/2016 at 3:00 PM, strider said:

I wish I had a trackball, but I'm assuming that can be added at a later date?

It can, but may need a separate interface depending what is in the cabinet at the moment.