Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Kinda. I'm going back to get S Ranks on every stage, but it's a bit of a hollow feeling as you can just restart each section.

 

It doesn't have strong enough hooks for a score attack game, and the game is too stressful to play regularly for fun.

 

Still a great game/experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i played it loads, really enjoyed it. agreed ^ getting s ranks was not that much fun. going through the stages trying to get in some scoring with minimal deaths though was great fun imo. taken a bit of a break from it but do plan to go back to do more of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Kinda. I'm going back to get S Ranks on every stage, but it's a bit of a hollow feeling as you can just restart each section.

 

It doesn't have strong enough hooks for a score attack game, and the game is too stressful to play regularly for fun.

 

Still a great game/experience.

 

I'd say the new game mode is pretty good for score attack, and you can't restart each section on that. It goes up to S+ too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

They're both identical I think, so whatever you prefer.

 

I tried this out in VR a couple of days ago thanks to the PC patch. It was great, and possibly a bit easier thanks to the higher framerate. I'm not sure I could be bothered with it normally though as it doesn't really add anything to the experience but it was cool all the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/15/2017 at 10:53, Sarlaccfood said:

Sorry, late to the party but there's a great "Making Of..." on this in this month's Edge that has got me really interested and I quite like Lightning Bolt, I take it VR isn't necessary to play this? 

 

No, but if you can, VR is preferable.

 

Announced its coming to Xbox One this spring as well as Nintendo Switch now - Thumper for everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 19:25, catinthehat said:

Other than BluFlame, does anybody still play this? I enjoyed it a lot on release but never had any desire to go back to it once I'd played through it. Fun while it lasted, though. 

 

This is pretty much how I feel about every Lightning Bolt album!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Not sure if there is a separate Switch thread for this, but downloaded this today and man it's intense! 

 

Only got halfway through stage two - I'm pretty awful so far, but it's very addictive. 

 

Any other Switch players?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This is on sale on the Nintendo e-shop so I picked it up.

 

It's a brilliant game, but it's so stressful! I missed my stop on the tube yesterday playing it. It's well suited to portable play, but it does worry me how clammy my hands get playing it.

 

Something about the visuals and the gameplay gets my heart racing within seconds. It's a great Switch game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 10 months later...

I'm currently about half way through this on the Switch. I like the atmosphere and overall aesthetic, but it's disappointing that each level I've played to this point looks and sounds so similar. The final boss has been the same on all four stages.

 

I'm also struggling to enjoy the gameplay. When you get into the flow it's pretty good fun, but my biggest issue with it is that it doesn't really seem to be a rhythm action game, most of the time anyway; the 'notes' and turns rarely correlate with the music or produce an actual beat, to my ears at least, and instead just seem to produce arbitrary thumps and thuds. This makes it difficult to learn and anticipate patterns, like you would in something like Guitar Hero, and instead you just have to react in a split second to whatever is hurtling towards you. It doesn't help that it's often difficult to differentiate the various obstacles when they mostly appear in different shades of red in an environment which itself is also largely red. I'm playing in handheld mode, however, so that might have something to do with it.

 

I'm going to stick with it for a bit longer as I really want to like it more than I am, but so far it's not turned out to be what I expected. I might replay some of the levels I've already done to get better scores as I'm finding the level I'm currently on a bit too difficult at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably harder to play instinctively than most rhythm action games, but your actions definitely match up with the beat. The game is quite forgiving in that it lets you prepare some actions in advance, but once you start going for S ranks you really need to time everything perfectly.

 

The levels are very samey in terms of theme and sound, but they introduce new mechanics which help to keep things interesting, and also become increasingly bonkers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'm currently about half way through this on the Switch. I like the atmosphere and overall aesthetic, but it's disappointing that each level I've played to this point looks and sounds so similar. The final boss has been the same on all four stages.

 

I'm also struggling to enjoy the gameplay. When you get into the flow it's pretty good fun, but my biggest issue with it is that it doesn't really seem to be a rhythm action game, most of the time anyway; the 'notes' and turns rarely correlate with the music or produce an actual beat, to my ears at least, and instead just seem to produce arbitrary thumps and thuds. This makes it difficult to learn and anticipate patterns, like you would in something like Guitar Hero, and instead you just have to react in a split second to whatever is hurtling towards you. It doesn't help that it's often difficult to differentiate the various obstacles when they mostly appear in different shades of red in an environment which itself is also largely red. I'm playing in handheld mode, however, so that might have something to do with it.

 

I'm going to stick with it for a bit longer as I really want to like it more than I am, but so far it's not turned out to be what I expected. I might replay some of the levels I've already done to get better scores as I'm finding the level I'm currently on a bit too difficult at the moment.

 

I thought it correlated with the music really well - the difficulty being that you're not sure what 'note' you're going to be busting and there's a bit of trial and error.  I played it loads when it came out but put it down on a level I thought was too hard and it did feel very samey after a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, scottcr said:

 

I thought it correlated with the music really well - the difficulty being that you're not sure what 'note' you're going to be busting and there's a bit of trial and error.  I played it loads when it came out but put it down on a level I thought was too hard and it did feel very samey after a while.

 

Hmm. It might be that because I'm buggering it up all the time I don't get a feel for the beat of it. There doesn't seem to be a beat to follow, though. I get the impression that you're supposed to make the beat yourself when you hit a pad or do a turn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

 

Hmm. It might be that because I'm buggering it up all the time I don't get a feel for the beat of it. There doesn't seem to be a beat to follow, though. I get the impression that you're supposed to make the beat yourself when you hit a pad or do a turn.

 

yeah - it's a 'drumming' game - so you end up creating the rhythmic beat to go along with the ambient background music.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's more about recognising patterns. When you're picking it up after an absence, my advice is always start at the beginning of the level instead of your last checkpoint. It will introduce patterns in the early stages which are repeated and built upon right up to the boss.

 

Another tip is to learn to read the distance. It's very easy to focus right in front of you but then get blindsided by a very fast move. As you get better you'll have a focus on what's ahead as well, kind of like in Tetris where you see what blocks are up next. Of course you still have to react to sharp turns and tunnels but it does make life a bit easier.

 

In all honesty I've still never finished it although I'm onto the final levels. For me it requires so much concentration I don't like to play for more than an hour or two, and it gets demoralizing when you get stuck on a bit for ages. It's relentless atmosphere is great but its not something you want to endure for hours on trying to beat an impossibly hard bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've now muddled my way through the fourth level, just about picking up C ranks on more or less every section. It wasn't really much fun, to be honest.

 

I've figured out that I was indeed wrong before when I said it wasn't a rhythm action game, however: when you successfully string a sequence of thumps and turns together then you can tell that it is definitely a rhythm game, but, if, like me, this is a rarity and you tend to miss lots of notes because you're simply not very good, then it just sounds horribly disjointed and not very rhythmical at all.

 

My biggest problem is that I find it really hard to see what's coming up next and wish the colours of the various obstacles stood out more. It's particularly tricky on levels when you go into a sort of tunnel and can't see the track forming on the horizon, or when there are multiple red lanes with orangey-red bars across them just before glowing red turns. Visual clarity is essential in a game like this but I repeatedly end up getting killed by turns that I thought were bars or which blend into the background, and it's all a bit frustrating.

 

I'm going to replay some of the earlier levels in the hope that I git gud, but if that doesn't work then I think I'm going to have to just give this up as a bad job and move on, unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.