According to Steam I've played this for over 9 hours, although it doesn't feel like that. Over seven of those were spent just making my way through the levels, and I can see myself playing for a lot longer to get those S ranks, and then maybe high score chasing. It's certainly worth £15.99, and that's before the VR update is even out on PC.

I thought I'd record a level too, so took a break from trying to S rank Level 5 and just thought I'd run through the level as normal. It turned out pretty well! :D

s0xP7xH.png?1

I'll post the video tomorrow once it's uploaded. I remember being completely stuck at the start of that level first time around, taking about half an hour just to get past the very start. This time it became the first level I've played through without any deaths or restarts, and it felt great! There were a couple of hairy moments mind, but I'm still pretty chuffed with it. The sens of progress in this game is intoxicating, and it's not something I've really experienced in the genre since, ooh, the early Rock Bands? It's brilliant!

• Upvote 2

yeah i really enjoyed it first time through but dying a lot it's very stop start, playing through the levels again, dying much less (although still missing loads of scoring stuff), it's amazing, zen-like, intense, exhilarating, etc. what a game.

What is the technique you're using to fly through the corners? I'm guessing that also gives you a boost for how long you stay airborne? Is it just holding the stick up and to the left/right? That's the one mechanic I've been struggling to hit consistently.

When you're airborne you don't need to keep holding up.

Basically keep holding A then use the direction stick on the corner at the last moment, in time with the music. If you nail it it'll make a different sound and you'll carry flight through the corner.

• Upvote 1

Nice one, thanks! Gonna try that later. I'm currently stuck on the boss of level 6 but I'll get through it. I kind of love that I'm stuck, because it's not because I'm confused or under levelled or don't have the right gear, I'm stuck because I'm just not good enough at the game yet. Feels good. 

• Upvote 1

Cleared level 3.. had to restart the stage as I needed to be eased in again - I had no chance of picking up where I left off!!  So fucking satisfying, this game must push all those nice endorphin buttons, it's ridiculously good fun.  About a third through stage 4, had to stop as my right hand is literally aching from squeezing the pad so hard.. Thum aches from pressing A waaaaay harder than necessary :D So good.   Might try switching to dual shock for next session...

But those fucking dual lanes!  Jesus Christ my brain. 

Love. This. Game.  Perfect twitch / rhythm game mashup. 

• Upvote 1

OMFG Dualshock 4 so much more comfy for this imo!! Still squeezing it harder than I need to though, lol! :blush:

Too tired to continue on level 4, so did the first two stages again, beat my previous high scores by a fair margin, pleased with that ^_^  

On 18/10/2016 at 19:37, dood said:

About a third through stage 4, had to stop as my right hand is literally aching from squeezing the pad so hard.. Thum aches from pressing A waaaaay harder than necessary :D So good. 

My thumb is pretty bruised from pressing A like my life depended on it.

On 10/17/2016 at 00:47, Mogster said:

Finally, the only thing you need to worry about for S ranks is hitting every thump pad and not taking damage. That means you don't need to worry about hitting every destructible barrier, or hitting all the wall turns on multi-lane bits. You won't score as highly, but you'll still get a decent score and the all-important S rank for the section.

that does seem to work, so maybe hitting all the pads and not taking damage gets you the minimum score for an S rank, but i suspect it's score based as i've got S ranks on some sections while taking damage or missing a pad, but have been doing other scoring stuff, like hitting the turns at the right time etc.

Indeed, but once that comes around wouldn't you just see the rank you got for that section anyway? I can't wait for when it does, having just ended up with a C halfway through a level following a string of S ranks. <_<

The instant restarts are in now incidentally, and they're ace. You can bring up the restart from last checkpoint prompt just by hitting LB, and restart times are now pretty much instant.

Although I haven't finished yet (Level 7), this has been my go-to VR game the past fortnight. It doesn't change that much, and the music is less than hummable (being DOOM and all), but it's such an absolute thrill and leaves me breathless almost every time. It's exhausting and exhilarating. Such an amazing game.