IGNORED

Kirby: Planet Robobot - Team Kirby Clash DX - Kirby's Blowout Blast - Kirby Battle Royale

Keyboard Koala

Kirby-Planet-Robobot.jpg?resize=610%2C39

LvwQnu9.jpg

A new Kirby game deserves a new thread!

Harness the power of a mysterious mech to stop the ruthless Haltmann Works Company from mechanizing Kirby’s home world. Smash through tough obstacles, lift heavy objects with ease, and scan enemies to shape-shift into new Modes with powerful abilities in this supercharged action-platformer!

That’s right - Kirby’s Robobot Armor can shape-shift into different modes by scanning enemies to copy their moves - like the new Jet Mode. Not to mention, Kirby can copy abilities the old-fashioned way too - by inhaling them! After saving the world, team up with three friends to defeat foes in Team Kirby Clash, an RPG-styled 4-player brawl where you choose from varied classes and level them up. Need a quick fix? Take on challenges in a 3D space and aim for a high score in Kirby 3D Rumble. Ready for a challenge? Play as Meta Knight in a blazing-fast time attack mode to fight new bosses and tougher enemies while Kirby takes a well-deserved nap!

– Use the mysterious Robobot Armor to scan enemies and shape-shift into powerful Modes
– Kirby’s copy ability returns, allowing him to inhale, spit out foes, and transform
– Employ new and improved Copy Abilities including: Doctor: Use clip boards, throw pills, and mix concoctions; ESP: Wear a cool hat and use psychic abilities; Poison: Spray toxic mists and other noxious abilities
Super Smash Bros.: Gain Kirby’s updated Super Smash Bros. move set
– Use the Download Play feature in Team Kirby Clash, an RPG-styled mode for up to 4 players (or sharpen your skills by playing solo)
– Enjoy a selection of additional game modes, including Meta Knightmare Returns (note: tap amiibo in this mode to heal Meta Knight), Kirby 3D Rumble, and The Arena
– Collect hidden code cubes and stickers in every level and use the stickers to decorate your Robobot Armor

Announced during the latest Nintendo Direct, Kirby: Planet Robobot is slated for a Summer 2016 release.

Nintendo Direct footage:

Opnening cutscene:

It does look like a ton of fun. It reminds me of Drill Dozer or something Treasure might put out. 

I'm sad to say I've neglected the Kirby series since the SNES days. I might take a punt on this one simply out of courtesy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some more details, courtesy of the latest issue of Famitsu:

GDDRfpN.jpg

We already heard about the different robot-modes extensively: Beam Mode, Fire Mode, and Sword Mode. More information about these three are now available, as well as two others that we’ve only seen a little bit: Ice Mode and Parasol Mode.

Here’s the rundown:

– Beam Mode: shoots electric balls which become bigger if the energy is charged. The Bouncer Beam attacks enemies while it’s bouncing.
– Fire Mode: Attacks enemies with “Crimson Tail” which spews fire. You can freely change the direction of the fire. You can also attack enemies with fire that spreads on ground.
– Sword Mode: Attacks with Power Beam Sabers that extend from arms. Other than a combo attack, it also has a wide-range Spinning Attack with both sabers.
– Ice Mode: Attack with cold blizzards. You can freeze enemies into ice blocks, or freeze water pillars to turn them into platforms that can be stepped on
– Parasol Mode: Its biggest characteristic is the propellers protruding from both shoulders, which can be used to fly or even attack enemies.

• 4 weeks later...

That does look bloody good. I wish Nintendo would put that much effort into a 2D Metroid with that type of engine and that art team. They really know their stuff. Obviously Kirby suits that low res chunky colourful aesthetic of the 3ds.However there's no reason you couldn't bring the atmosphere and style of Metroid onto the system in 3D with the experience those art guys have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody but me picked this up then? 'Been playing since yesterday and so far it's completely fab. Very much a sequel to Triple Deluxe but in best way possible. Because where that game felt like the usual Kirby platformer, this expands significantly on the series formula. That isn't to say TD was a bad game, far from it. It was immensely polished and in my top 3 great Kirby platformers. However, Planet Robobot expands beyond the usual boundaries of Kirby games by adding in the Robot functionality. In the process it opens up some interesting new venues to explore for future installments. At the very least it is the first 2D Nintendo platformer in a while that shows how the genre can still evolve.

In terms of presentation, Robobot manages to one up its predecessor by quite some margin. The animations of both Kirby and his enemies have had some upgrades that add immensely to the charm of the game. In particular, i'm fond of how Kirby moves his stubby little arms as he operates the Robot driving through the levels. The bosses in the game feature as real showstoppers as well. Certainly in terms of presentation. Whispy Woods in particular has never been this intense, though now he's called Clanky Woods and having received a make-over akin to the poor lady from Superman 3(you know the scene...).

Gameplay wise the addition of the Robobot has been a godsend. However thought that adding in a dash of Megaman X to Kirby should get a raise at HAL. Every known power in the game feels fresh and exciting once you have the armour itself. The game certainly invites to experiment and explore. Add in the fact that the new powers for Kirby himself are great as well(ESP is fantastic) and you have a winner.

So..., who else bought this? 'Cause this might damn well be the best platformer on the 3DS. Never thought i'd say that for Kirby.

Received my copy in the post on Thursday. :) Pre-ordered it months ago, Triple Deluxe was superb (and under-rated) so I'm pleased to hear that, as I hoped, it's more of the same but better. Haven't opened the game yet though as I've already got too many on-the-go at the moment, but I honestly can't wait to play it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going travelling for a while next month and after all the positive reviews I will definitely be picking this up 

for the trip. I'm very much looking forward to it - the only Kirby game I've really played is Kirby's Dream Land

on the Gameboy. Whilst insanely easy, that was one of the first games I ever bought and so I have very fond

memories of it.  

Oh and I forgot about Kirby's Block Ball. Now that was pretty good too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing this the other day with my 4-year old. And I must say this seems like a cracking game. Needless to say that he absolutely loves it.

Thoroughly recommended for anyone looking for a decent action-platformer that looks and feels like a 2016 update of the SNES platformer classics of years gone by.