rllmuk
Gotters

Clash Royale

iOS

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1053012308?mt=8

Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.supercell.clashroyale

So I realise that these kind of games are the antithesis of rllmuk but the new game from Boom Beach and Clash of Clans devs (Supercell) came out of soft launch yesterday, called Clash Royale.

Yes its fremium and yes I suspect you can buy your way to glory but the basic game seems very open and keeps the irritation of timers and cool downs to a minimum, you can seemingly keep playing as long as you want for free, with a constant stream of 'stuff' coming your way.

Game itself is a nice mix of a deck builder style card game, which you then take into single screen arenas and pit against your online enemy in nicely played out battles - the aim being to take out their 3 castles before you lose yours. It looks a very well crafted realtime accesible strategy game and the battles last a max of only a few mins.

I read about these guys in Wired, they are creaming in the cash but have an interesting approach to ftp - they claim IAPs should never be driven to remove frustration in the player, but to provide fun or joy. 

I'm not usually into these things, their previous 2 games passed me by, but I'm giving this one a good crack and enjoying it, the lack of timers as such means its perfect pick up and play fodder for those moments in the work loo, bus, train etc

Clan Info

rllmuk (50/50) - currently full, I will post when space is available.

ugvm (30/50) - open membership

Da Clan #20VGJJP (4/50) - open membership

• Upvote 3

I've even set up an RLLMUK clan for Clash Royale - its tag line being its the 2nd c*ntiest clan in the game.

Not sure what the clans do exactly as I'm a noob at this kind of thing but it got me some in game currency and an achievement so did it anyway - its open so anybody can join.

I can't do any more battles have 4 chests waiting to unlock. Annoying that you can't start the unlock timer on all of them but only one at a time.

You can always do more battles to gain trophies, you just cant gain any more chests

the timers are on cards and chests, you could play the main battle game non-stop and never pay a penny

I'm playing this along with Van and a couple of other people from the forum, in our clan Top Trumps. Clan tag #2CGPUR if you want to join us.

that baby dragon is a proper annoying shit, you have to make sure you have some low manna troop types available that aren't ground based only, he doesn't take as many hits as aa giant or prince to take out, but needs some specific deck management to make sure you can handle him.

i absolutely love this game, I know its not cell and turn based but I get a real advance wars vibe off it for some reason

• Upvote 1

how have we managed to get 14 people in our clan but hardly a soul posting in here, are you all ashamed to be playing it ?

I think this may be my favourite iOS game ever, its almost Nintendo like in its its apparent simplicity but underlying complexity, its fantastic how intense they manage to make a short 3-4min skirmish too, you don't always know how the result will pan out either and often you get to grips with an opponent (or them you) after losing the first tower, its very satisfying.

• Upvote 1

Downloaded this and done the training missions, seems pretty fun, and I can see the strategy element becoming more involved with more cards. Will join up to the clan when I hit level 3.

A nice little time waster, been looking for something like this for a while.

Downloaded this today as well, seems very easy to get to grips with although like gospvg said, I'm now at a point where I'm waiting for chests to open & while I can continue to fight battles, I can't get any rewards for doing so.

I assumed at the least that I would continue to level up, but it seems that can only be done by evolving cards, which only come from chests, which are time based, etc.

Obvious answer is to use the green gems to open my chests but what else are they used for in-game? If it is just speeding up chests, then that's great but if it ends up being for upgrading once I hit a certain level, or something else then I'd be inclined to hang onto them.

Last question; I now cannot earn chests from the training ground anymore ( or so it says ) but there's a list of cards which are only available from training ( seemingly ), how do I get these cards now?

49 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Last question; I now cannot earn chests from the training ground anymore ( or so it says ) but there's a list of cards which are only available from training ( seemingly ), how do I get these cards now?

The training arena cards you can still unlock these in Arena 1, it's all about luck if you get them in the chests you open.

I am now level 4 & still on Arena 1. My annoyance is the Crown Chest. Once you get 10 crowns & unlock that chest you have to wait 24 hours for it to reset. So any more battles are pointless because you can't collect the crowns.

I do enjoy the battles, just wish it would let you stack the rewards.

• Upvote 1

we're hovering steady at about 15 members in the rllmuk clan for this, new members always welcome its an open join.

gospvg keeps popping in and joining for 5 minutes to keep an eye on us, then snubbing us and leaving again !

game is really bedding in this week, the depth is there to see and a couple of us hitting walls where the tactics that got us to a ranking have been sussed and you have to adapt, its rapidly becoming my favourite ios game ever I think.

It's surprisingly enjoyable for what it is, and even the free card grind isn't too bad at the moment if you time things in a useful way. Like you can open 3 silver chests though a day, set one gold chest to open overnight, open a free chest just before bed so the two you can stack up unlock overnight and so on.

Definitely getting better at it and understanding what cards I like, even beat someone who had a higher level goblin hut, knight and spear goblins than mine so it was nice to see that higher level opposition doesn't always mean a twatting. A rare 3-0 that, as well.

Mind you, I just went to play some games to get some crowns to open a battle chest and I got reamed game after game and it made me want to bin the fucking thing. It's got it's ups and downs.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

gospvg keeps popping in and joining for 5 minutes to keep an eye on us, then snubbing us and leaving again !

I'm hovering between groups rllmuk & ugvm. I usually spend a day in each hovering up all the donations requests to get xp & gold.

I'm getting the hang of the game now, it's not bad.

Got a giant chest yesterday. Opened it this morning. Amongst a couple of other things, it had 16 infernos and 143 tesla cards... not a subtle increase.

Now to make a build where I use those two.

not sure why but we had a spate of people joining our clan in the last 24h who I suspect aren't from here (and we really don't like being popular, thats why we come here in the first place)

if I've hoofed anybody from here legitimately then apologies,   just post here and try to rejoin and somebody will accept you.

21 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Sent a request from bobbydanger what does being in a clan do?

You can donate & receive cards. Chatboard & battle with friends.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

not sure why but we had a spate of people joining our clan in the last 24h who I suspect aren't from here (and we really don't like being popular, thats why we come here in the first place)

if I've hoofed anybody from here legitimately then apologies,   just post here and try to rejoin and somebody will accept you.

Yep lots of traffic, I'm sure the 30+ Members we have not all are from rllmuk.

just search clans for rllmuk - you need to get to a certain level in game before it lets you join a clan, can't do straight away (only takes half an hour or so)

will accept if I see you request to join