rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Robo_1

Beyond Good & Evil 2 Rumoured For NX

Destructoid are running a story which suggests that Nintendo are either co-developing or publishing the long awaited sequel Beyond Good & Evil. There's nothing close to a confirmation here, bu they have two sources telling them more or less the same thing:

According to the supposed leak, the game is currently assigned the working title Beyond Good and Evil: The Prejudices of Philosophers. This is apparently a reference to a specific chapter in the philosophical text Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche, which details how morality can be altered by authority, and the ways black-and-white morality overlooks the larger complexity of the nature of morals.

Basically, it's the chapter about looking beyond the concepts of good and evil.

In much the same fashion as Bayonetta 2, Nintendo is reportedly hoping to win audience goodwill by putting money into the development of the long-in-limbo sequel, in exchange for it being an exclusive to the NX.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-nintendo-funding-beyond-good-and-evil-sequel-346059.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I was never actually that big a fan of the first game, but I know this could be a big catch for Nintendo. I'd also be happy if Nintendo continued to fund these types of projects, which aren't necessarily going to be massive sellers, but will generate enthusiasm for the platform.

I get that they're going for the Shenmue 3 goodwill from gamers type of thing. But I'm not sure launching the NX with a sequel to a commercial (not critical before anyone shouts at me) failure is the kind of mission statement Nintendo really needs for the successor to the Wii U.

So in the last couple of years we've had a sequel to Bayonetta, Shenmue resurrected, FFVII getting it's long awaited remake and now this. What's left? Vanquish sequel?

So, what's our source here? Our initial source of the rumor comes from Alexander Maier, the Dual Pixels writer who published Geno's recent NX hardware rumors last weekend. Geno, who has successfully leaked new Pokémon forms and Microsoft's IllumiRoom project, provided Maier with a lengthy document, which was passed on to Destructoid to assess for veracity.

Nope.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

There's that game they won't shut-up about in the Valve thread, I forget what it's called, SiN maybe?

I actually quite liked SiN at the time, was one of the better 'Doom clones' as they were all called back then.

This would seem likely, given how clearly the first game was influenced by Zelda, and the previous Bayonetta 2 exclusivity deal. However, Michel Ancel recently sat down with Tim Schafer to talk about the first game in Double Fine's 'Devs Play' series, and Michel talked quite frankly about BG&E2's current development, and had some choice words to say about his previous dealings with Nintendo, and in particular Miyamoto. These details in particular make it less likely, in my opinion, but I have no real insight in the situation either, and this may all be misdirection.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VN1X said:

Vanquish 2 pls.

Done by who exactly?, any old gun for hire? or do you expect Shinji Mikami and some of the original team to stop work on whatever Zenimax funded title they are working on to make it?

I see this all the time, asking for sequels without any thought if the actual talent which created it either wants to make it or are even in a position to make it, so who the fuck does make it if you can find the money? Any old dev if you think the only thing that matters is the game name (as the big publishers hope and people like Hideki Kamiya have stated they do as such in the past when asked about sequels) or some dream merc team?

Games are built on talent, without suitable talent being available, any hypothetical wished for sequel is better off dead. If some no name had wanted to continue the Shenmue saga, I wouldn't have been so quick to pony up to bring it to life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I see this all the time, asking for sequels without any thought if the actual talent which created it either wants to make it or are even in a position to make it, so who the fuck does make it if you can find the money? Any old dev if you think the only thing that matters is the game name (as the big publishers hope and people like Hideki Kamiya have stated they do as such in the past when asked about sequels) or some dream merc team?

Games are built on talent, without suitable talent being available, any hypothetical wished for sequel is better off dead. If some no name had wanted to continue the Shenmue saga, I wouldn't have been so quick to pony up to bring it to life.

:lol:

I don't think "Vanquish 2 pls" was intended as a 3 year business plan so much as "wouldn't it be nice if Vanquish 2 existed somehow".

• Upvote 6

41 minutes ago, matt0 said:

:lol:

I don't think "Vanquish 2 pls" was intended as a 3 year business plan so much as "wouldn't it be nice if Vanquish 2 existed somehow".

So you'd want a disappointing sequel just to have a sequel? As that is basically what you are saying, most sequels exist for commercial reasons, not creative ones. At least for this rumour, we know Ancel has been desperate to make it for years, ever since the original, he just can't find the money to do it.

Half-Life 3 by Spark unlimited (Valve aren't interested in rushing one out so hey somebody has to actually make it) plz funded by Nintendo, it'll sell out the NX on the name alone ;):lol:

Alternatively, people are just talking out loud about what they would like. I'd like a sequel to Alpha Protocol. It'll never happen, but I'd still like one. 

On 03/03/2016 at 9:54 AM, Harsin said:

There's that game they won't shut-up about in the Valve thread, I forget what it's called, SiN maybe?

Prey 2

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Alternatively, people are just talking out loud about what they would like. I'd like a sequel to Alpha Protocol. It'll never happen, but I'd still like one. 

It falls into the same camp as this game and Bayonetta 2 did. The original IP holder won't pay to make it so if somebody comes along with a bucket of cash or the right pitch, they'll license it to them. The original dev is happy to make it but they don't own the rights. Mikami for example wants to make sequels to God Hand and Dino Crisis (he didn't name check any of his other directorial games), he just can't find somebody willing to fund it, and the IP holder and him didn't exactly part on the best of terms and show no signs of doing sequels to those games either, but that's probably for the best.

There are plenty of things I'd like to see more of, but I often find the sequels which get released to things I adored get done by a different dev and make me wish they didn't exist as a result, they just taint the memory of the brilliant original. The Viewtiful Joe sequels being a case in point, Capcom milked it to death with a bunch of inferior commercial product. I completed VJ2, but I'd have been fine if it hadn't existed, it was like a cover-band homage to the original, fine but non-essential.

“I’ve tried to let people know that Kickstarter isn’t the place for funding someone else’s franchise,” Avellone said, “Sega owns Alpha Protocol, for example, Dungeons and Dragons is Hasbro. That’s a different kettle of fish.”

“We’d love to do sequels to these games that we’ve worked on, but that’s often not up to us, and it’s not something we could do through Kickstarter, really, or I couldn’t see how they might be done.”

BG&E2 is announced as a NC exclusive, proof! that Nintendo has third party support sewn up this time. 

It comes out, sells an underwhelming amount. 

Third party publisher support drops off quickly. 

Mario Party 17 comes out as Nintendo's big Christmas game in 2020. 

Etc. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

Two years later Ubisoft release the previously exclusive NX title on the Xbox and PS4.

After being delayed for the same length of time on the NX.