New Nintendo Direct Announced

Jimmy Shedders

If I can get Link to the Past on my 3DS then my console will be home to Zelda 1, 2, LttP, Links Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, The Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask and Link Between Worlds. That's crazy. 

3 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

3DS isn't capable of handling snes games? Bollocks.  Nintendo yet again in a new episode of how to alienate and lose fans

It wouldn't surprise me, the 3DS's CPU is notoriously a bit shit.

Anyway, that stream was fun, a few nice small surprises.

oh man, after that Direct I really want a New 3DS, but can't justify the purchase with the NX possibly just around the corner.   

They have made a right pigs ear of early that NX announcement. 

Fucksake Nintendo.

19 minutes ago, Halo said:

It wouldn't surprise me, the 3DS's CPU is notoriously a bit shit.

Anyway, that stream was fun, a few nice small surprises.

The 3ds wouldn't be able to run 99% of its games if it couldn't handle 20yr old snes games.

It's just Nintendo trying to cajole people to buy or upgrade to the New 3DS consoles.  I like Nintendo but they always opt for coin over not annoying their customers.

Yeah, not totally convinced that Paper Mario will be a worthy sequel to Thousand Year Door (best game evar).   But the visuals are certainly very nice.  

The restoring colour concept it pretty tired and the levels look more like the N64 original - just re-done with lush rendering.  

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

3DS isn't capable of handling snes games? Bollocks.  Nintendo yet again in a new episode of how to alienate and lose fans

Actually it isn't. A recently released emulator for the 3DS ran very badly on the original 3DS (it was a snes emulator). However if you ran the same one on a new 3DS then it was perfect. The CPU in the new 3DS is much much better. Higher clock speed and extra cores. Also more memory.

Just now, pulsemyne said:

Actually it isn't. A recently released emulator for the 3DS ran very badly on the original 3DS (it was a snes emulator). However if you ran the same one on a new 3DS then it was perfect. The CPU in the new 3DS is much much better. Higher clock speed and extra cores. Also more memory.

Obviously you (pulsemyne) know this but there's a clear difference between capable of doing X and capable of emulating a machine that did X.   3DS could easily run any SNES game if it was re-compiled/re-coded for the 3DS.   But emulating a SNES ROM is a different matter and is in computing terms a hugely inefficient way to go about things.   It's just extremely handy in that it requires very little effort once the emulator exists.

1 minute ago, JPickford said:

Obviously you (pulsemyne) know this but there's a clear difference between capable of doing X and capable of emulating a machine that did X.   3DS could easily run any SNES game if it was re-compiled/re-coded for the 3DS.   But emulating a SNES ROM is a different matter and is in computing terms a hugely inefficient way to go about things.   It's just extremely handy in that it requires very little effort once the emulator exists.

Oh I agree. Emulating is the more cost efficient way of solving such a problem. Wonder if the emulating is as good as the homebrew one was...

What he said ^ :) SEGA are fully able to run great  3D versions of their classics on the 3DS, of course the same system could run SNES games.  If Nintendo put some effort in I'd like 3D versions of Fzero, Yoshi's Island and Mario Kart.  That would never happen mind.

Genuinely delighted at us finally getting SNES VC stuff; though it's been long enough coming (and the New 3DS only thing is pretty bullshit). I'm also glad that Fire Emblem finally has a release date, though I'm very wary of it as it seems to be focussing on all the things that made Awakening a weaker entry in the series than the GBA titles.

I'm particularly excited for portable Super Metroid, F-Zero and Mario Kart, and am properly gutted that I won't be buying those VC games until 2017 (thanks to my self-inflicted "4 games this year" purchase restriction), that's going to be a difficult wait.

Paper Mario looks stunning. But I'm wary the concept won't stretch to a full game. One of the best things about Thousand Year Door was the variety between each section. I mean, who expected a murder mystery in one of the chapters? I'm interested though! Let's hope they release a Paper Mario Amiibo.

I'm up for SNES games on my 3DS. The screenshots on the eShop look awful however, really blurry. How is the scaling on the actual games, and how big is the border in 1:1 mode?