HTC Vive - Pro HMD Announced (Wireless, Integrated Audio, Improved Optics, etc)

HarryBizzle

1 minute ago, Talk Show Host said:

So HTC actually believes that people are willing to spend tens of hours on their feet playing a Zelda like epic adventure (not talking about Vanishing Realms) when and if it is released? And that they have the space to do this? I mean, Wii was a problem and that only needed some small space to make you look ridiculous during Wii Sports (but at least you had others to share your shame with). Roomscale VR, at this moment, looks to me like the epitome of the "mancave". Admittedly I haven't followed VR a lot, but is roomscale the only way to play VR with the Vive or does that depend on the game? 

No roomscale is not the only way, there will be plenty of standing and seated experiences/games but roomscale happens to be the wow factor that makes VR a more fresher, exciting thing.  No doubt VR is going to be niche for the foreseeable future and roomscale is going to be even more niche due to space requirements.  Can you imagine a Witcher type game I the future using this tech will be amazing.  This is a mantra that's going to be repeated by those that have VR or tried it but looking at a 2D YouTube vid is not going to do VR justice.  I'm yet to get my unit but the sense of actually being there is supposed to be incredible.  As mentioned in the Vanishing Realms video the sense of scale when fighting the giant skeleton was real as its towers above you and I imagine you may actually flinch when it attacks because it's so believable.

7 minutes ago, simms said:

No roomscale is not the only way, there will be plenty of standing and seated experiences/games but roomscale happens to be the wow factor that makes VR a more fresher, exciting thing.  No doubt VR is going to be niche for the foreseeable future and roomscale is going to be even more niche due to space requirements.  Can you imagine a Witcher type game I the future using this tech will be amazing.  This is a mantra that's going to be repeated by those that have VR or tried it but looking at a 2D YouTube vid is not going to do VR justice.  I'm yet to get my unit but the sense of actually being there is supposed to be incredible.  As mentioned in the Vanishing Realms video the sense of scale when fighting the giant skeleton was real as its towers above you and I imagine you may actually flinch when it attacks because it's so believable.

Yeah, I agree, to a degree. Using roomscale VR is going to be breathtaking but the physical restrictions make it something of a novelty for me. A Witcher game where you have to stand and fight, jumping around at the speed needed for the combat would be a tedious experience. Playing simpler games or roomscale being used in specific cases, sure, that would be amazing. But having roomscale VR for an entirety of a game like Dark Souls or Witcher? I can't see that taking off in any way.

Oh not that's not what I meant.  I specifically said using the VR tech for a Witcher game would be great not necessarily room scale and motion control , however I'll give it a go :lol:.  Us gamers are quite lazy in general and would rather sit back and use a controller and I totally get that.  Room scale and motion control is going to supplement my gaming diet rather than completely replace my sit down gaming.  Every room scale game and experience is going to be different.  Some may be quite sedate and other smore active.  Going beyond that some may offer options to tailor how active you want to be and how much space you have to work with. 

I dont think VR has to take off as such.  Sonys PSVR has a good shot at driving uptake to the masses but the PC VR is going to be a slow burn where all the indie talent will be cultivating great ideas.

I got to try the vive at PcW the other day.  Not tried the rift yet.  The vive is amazing.  Most impressive thing is the controller detection.  It's perfect 1:1 mapping, from big gestures through to the most precise movement.  There is some black borders on either side of your view but after about 2 minutes they melt away  and you are completely immersed in a virtual world.  Software is ok.  I tried job simulator and space pirate.  Both were fun but felt a bit like they wouldn't have much longevity.  Room scale is brilliant.  The ability to move around really added to the sense of immersion.  Chaperone is critical. Without  it I would have walked straight into the wall at the back of the demo area.  All in all I am completely sold on VR but I will need to see some more content and try a rift before I put down that much dough and decide on which way to go device wise.

On 06/04/2016 at 11:41 PM, dood said:

Dude this is just a bit weird. 

'Weird' is often wheeled out by people without anything to actually say. It's useful, but lazier than being right.

Still, to dramatically get things back on topic, had a go on the Vive today - rapid fire reactions:

- The screens weren't the huge step up over the DK2 that I'd hoped and the FOV felt a bit restricted

-The 1:1 controller response was lag-free and very impressive. A big game changer for feeling the immersion and interactivity

- Being able to walk around, move and dodge is a big difference maker too. Even if it's less 'walk around a big room', and more 'circle a small object'

- Job simulator, Space pirates and Tilt Brush are all really interesting diversions, but they were still just great tech demos

I also got to try the Vive for the first time this week. The closest feeling I can describe it to is playing proper 3D with Mario 64 for the first time. Back then, the sense of freedom and thinking that I could walk over there and climb that tree if I wanted to blew my 12 year old mind and this did the same thing to me at 31.

The controllers are absolutely perfect. Being able to reach out, grab, hold and throw things is completely natural and immediate. I haven't had a chance to try an Oculus yet but I can't see how you can get even close to this with an Xbox controller. 

I'll get one once a PC needed to run it gets cheaper. In the mean time I'm just going to prey that someone I know buys one.

Unless Oculus show something incredible at E3 - I'm sold on a Vive. It's done son i it's done. Who needs a shitty old couch anyway. One day people will laugh at the idea of having big ugly pieces of furniture and sit on custom forcefields yo

This movement technique is pretty interesting. You get a good idea of scale too and how big objects and characters will feel to you in game.

On 4/6/2016 at 11:41 PM, dood said:

Dude this is just a bit weird. 

4 hours ago, schmojo said:

'Weird' is often wheeled out by people without anything to actually say. It's useful, but lazier than being right.

I don’t think it’s weird really, but there’s definitely a bit of frustration around VR at the moment.

There’s clearly a large unconscious bias towards the Rift, but I think it genuinely is unintentional. We’ve all been waiting for it for so long that I think it’s natural that people have built up subconscious walls against the snooty latecomer.

It’s also understandable that it could be irritating to people when they recognise an irrational/unintended bias that they don't share themselves.

I was interested that UKRifter put up an apology on Reddit earlier for spreading a bit of FUD about the Vive in his launch appraisal video. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4e0uhq/i_am_ukrifter_i_apologise_to_the_vr_community/

I think there might be a bit more of that when people start to take a step back.

The bottom line is that VR is finally here. We have not one, but two cutting edge platforms to choose from and we should all be excited as hell.

Ah ok, so you still have to drill them into walls? I've looked at youtube vids and can't find any that show it being used at a desktop. Here is my current layout, I'm in a little nook of a large apartment. So I don't really have the 2 front corners.

iCpghhf.png

There's a YouTube video that tests the lighthouses at desk and ground level (as well as turning one of them off altogether). They worked fine as long as there was a clear line of sight to the HMD.

I'll try to dig it out later, but I think you'd be OK if you wanted to use it like that.

New pre-order are down for June delivery.

It's strange how the conversation about room-scale has backfired on HTC a bit. I've seen a few places where people genuinely don't seem to be aware that the Vive performs perfectly fine in a desk environment.

It's their own fault for making the story a bigger deal than it needed to be. Especially since it looks like both devices are as good as each other at a desk or in a full room.

3 hours ago, Capwn said:

Ah ok, so you still have to drill them into walls? I've looked at youtube vids and can't find any that show it being used at a desktop. Here is my current layout, I'm in a little nook of a large apartment. So I don't really have the 2 front corners.

You don't have to drill them into the walls. the bases come with removable sticky strips. We used those on the base stations in our office because we didn't want to do any drilling, and they've been up there for months now, and haven't budged at all.

21 hours ago, schmojo said:

It's strange how the conversation about room-scale has backfired on HTC a bit. I've seen a few places where people genuinely don't seem to be aware that the Vive performs perfectly fine in a desk environment.

It's their own fault for making the story a bigger deal than it needed to be. Especially since it looks like both devices are as good as each other at a desk or in a full room.

I think it's been double edged. The big advantages that Vive has over the Rift (at launch anyway) are the controllers and the front camera, both of which came about because room scale was a focus in the tech. At the same time and not to denigrate the Rift, I think when more people have tried Vive they will understand how big of a deal room scale is for immersion.

The real challenge right now is making compelling content for both platforms. It remains to be seen whether room scale is a nice novelty or if you can build experiences to really take advantage of it.

Room scale VR potentialiy could make us think differently about game design and what we expect of a game.  Most people including me initially expected to play what we are used to but in VR, but motion sickness, locomotion, interaction with the environment with 3D controllers and space considerations etc bring issues that do it apply in normal game design.  I now find myself more excited to play the stuff built from the ground up in VR.  It remains to be seen once the newness factor wears off whether I will play as much VR content as traditional screen games. 

I think it's going to be more event style gaming, like when the wii initially came out. Friends over, goofy immersive game experiences, taking turns, short blasts of fun. Hopefully it's the real deal in terms of what it purports to offer unlike the flimsy and ultimately illusory wii experience. 

To be honest even a more sedate seated vr experience is not something I would do for hours on end with the existing ergonomics of the respective kits.