HarryBizzle

HTC Vive - Pro HMD Announced (Wireless, Integrated Audio, Improved Optics, etc)

I've had mine all set up for a couple of weeks now. I'd tried (and loved) PSVR before but this room-scale is a total game changer... I'm walking around a game FFS! The mountain range that The Lab drops you into was astonishing, as was kneeling down to pick up sticks to throw for the dog. My favourite game is that truly 3D bullet hell shmup. I found myself trying to dodge the bullets myself instead of navigating the ship. Great little package overall, and the perfect demo suite. Feels like a Valve pack-in game, which it may as well be seeing as it's free. I really wish Valve made more games.

Played Thumper for a bit. Absolutely fucking phenomenal. If you turn off the camera reset you have the big rail that the beetle glides along right in your room with you like some kind of snooker table or something... You can even crawl underneath it and stand at either side. The game itself didn't add much to the experience as it's something I zone into and quickly forget my visual surroundings, so after five minutes it feels like I'm playing on my monitor but with a massively reduced resolution.

BallisticNG. It's basically 32-bit Wipeout, only with VR support. At first I was sat in a cockpit with a part of the canopy obscuring the middle of my vision. "A bit of shit design, this..." I thought before unlocking the recline on my chair and rocking all the way back. That was more like it! Another game that initially amazes in VR but then wears off as you zone in. Will play more.

Superhot VR. Awesome, but too short and far too easy. I remember the tech demo I played bursting into real-time whenever you moved. Was that cut back for VR?

Rez. This is more like it, as it's a much more chilled game I can fuck about with and look at stuff rather than concentrating on rhythm and precise button inputs. Area X is absolutely magical, and my only complaint is that it should have been expanded upon for Rez 2.0

I can't wait for Skyrim VR. I just need a bit of extra time making sure each of my SSE mods carry over to the VR version.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Fallows said:

BallisticNG. It's basically 32-bit Wipeout, only with VR support. At first I was sat in a cockpit with a part of the canopy obscuring the middle of my vision. "A bit of shit design, this..." I thought before unlocking the recline on my chair and rocking all the way back. That was more like it! Another game that initially amazes in VR but then wears off as you zone in. Will play more.

If you can handle BallisticNG you should give Vector 36 a go, it's phenomenal in VR. The sense of speed and momentum is incredible, you will shit yourself. It's important to get it running at 90 fps but it's not too difficult to achieve. Can't recommend it enough.

• Upvote 1

Superhot VR. Awesome, but too short and far too easy. I remember the tech demo I played bursting into real-time whenever you moved. Was that cut back for VR?

Not sure what you mean... time stops when you physically stop, and only starts when you move. It's the core game mechanic. What are your enemies doing? 

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

Feels like a Valve pack-in game, which it may as well be seeing as it's free. I really wish Valve made more games.

Valve are supposed to be making 3 VR games but when they will release is anybody's guess

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-valve-still-committed-making-three-vr-full-games/

Also Valve have VR 'knuckles' controllers are in development which will track your fingers and play games in an open palm fashion

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-knuckles-dv-dev-kit-promotion/

VR games I recommend:

Onward

Pavlov

Eleven: Table Tennis VR

Fallout 4 Vr (need a good system for this)

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

Redout (Wipeout clone)

Raw Data

Budget Cuts

Arizona Sunshine

Space Pirate Trainer

The Brookhaven Experiment

Sportsbar VR

New Retro Arcade:Neon (relive the co op arcade days)

Elite Dangerous 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Not sure what you mean... time stops when you physically stop, and only starts when you move. It's the core game mechanic. What are your enemies doing? 

They're all moving extremely slowly. So much so that I have to dance around to get them to approach me a little bit quicker, but it's still painfully slow. It's annoying when I run out of ammo and things to throw.

I remember the tech demo where you had to think out your move before committing to the controls because once you did it'd kick into real-time and you'd eat bullets if not mega careful. Felt more like Hotline from my memory...

37 minutes ago, simms said:

Valve are supposed to be making 3 VR games but when they will release is anybody's guess

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-valve-still-committed-making-three-vr-full-games/

Also Valve have VR 'knuckles' controllers are in development which will track your fingers and play games in an open palm fashion

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-knuckles-dv-dev-kit-promotion/

VR games I recommend:

Onward

Pavlov

Eleven: Table Tennis VR

Fallout 4 Vr (need a good system for this)

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

Redout (Wipeout clone)

Raw Data

Budget Cuts

Arizona Sunshine

Space Pirate Trainer

The Brookhaven Experiment

Sportsbar VR

New Retro Arcade:Neon (relive the co op arcade days)

Elite Dangerous 

Cheers. I've already got a couple of those on my wishlist. I've got two months of Viveport too.

Beat Saber

Job Simulator

KTaNE

Budget Cuts

Skyrim VR

Those are are my immediates. I also tried out Racket-NX which was fun, yet tiring.

• Upvote 1

On 09/02/2019 at 09:23, Rumspringa said:

If you can handle BallisticNG you should give Vector 36 a go, it's phenomenal in VR. The sense of speed and momentum is incredible, you will shit yourself. It's important to get it running at 90 fps but it's not too difficult to achieve. Can't recommend it enough.

Thanks! I just checked out the video, and yes, you can easily tell that the drift/momentum would bring so much feel to VR. BallisticNG is great, but it's just too direct and responsive. There's no threat. Perhaps because I'm playing it on the back of lots of Wip3out so it's not like I'm blundering around with it, it's serious business as soon as the races start and I'm zoned in until the finish line - almost forgetting that I'm viewing the game in VR. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but there's certainly nothing special about it. I think I actually prefer playing it at 144fps over VR if I'm honest.

I need more drift and wind/weather conditions that make my stomach churn.

On 15/02/2019 at 01:51, Fallows said:

I need more drift and wind/weather conditions that make my stomach churn.

This video gives a pretty good idea of how the game feels in VR.

• Upvote 1