rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Dave White

Battlefield 1 - World War One

18 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I can't get over the graff1x, it looks unbelieveable when it's all kicking off.

You on PC? 

13 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yes sir.  Playing through the campaign, such as it is, first.

Well, when you're done, get yer butt on Discord for multiplayer shenanigans with the rest of us.

• Upvote 2

Playing this is me being the real life embodiment of that picture of that dog that has no idea what it is doing, but in person form not dog form. 

Fun though, despite the constant instant deaths from unseen shooters. 

I'm a bit bemused that the single player in this seems to be getting a much warmer reception than usual. I know, I know, nobody plays BF for the single player. But the media seemed to be indicating that Dice had finally managed to make a post-Bad Company campaign that wasn't mediocre at best, utter dogshit at worst. The tank campaign I'm playing now might be one of the most joyless experiences I've played in this sort of game. It's also buggy as all fuck, quite funny when stuff routinely hovers in the air, like the German started building anti-gravity roofs in 1914, not so funny when you clear an area of all enemies and your pals in the tank refuse to move neccistating a restart. Really struggling to keep up the will continuing with it. Are the other campaigns significantly better?

32 minutes ago, MrEPotato said:

Is there a problem with battle packs, I played for around 5 hours and didn't get one, am I missing something? 

Welcome to the grind.

• Upvote 3

On 20/10/2016 at 13:04, Luseth said:

Ahhh now I know who I keep having to compete with on there for new games.....

Nah mine's turning up too :) Generally turns up the day after dispatch so hopefully be on tomorrow evening :) Possibly even all night.

Mine didn't show up until today. Nevermind.

Will be on after some PS VR fun.

Too much to play at the moment!

23 hours ago, Minion said:

TTK in this is very quick!

It feels the same as BF4 to me. I manage to drop, turn and return fire in this just as I do in BF4. As always you should adjust the sensitivity of the controls to your preferences. 

1 hour ago, MrEPotato said:

Is there a problem with battle packs, I played for around 5 hours and didn't get one, am I missing something? 

They weren't dropping for me at first but then I had a few, it's odd I'm not sure it seems like not everyone gets one at the end of a round?

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yes sir.  Playing through the campaign, such as it is, first.

Grab hold of that Takiwikkiawikkawa bloke and do as Sie says. Scrub Squad* needs fresh recruits!

*Al is good, the rest of us aren't :D

After 2-3 hours of play my conclusion is. It is a reskinned Battlefront. Not only in looks but more so in the general feel and flow of the gameplay. This feels much much less tactical than earlier BF games. The removal of being spotted when firing and the lowering og spotting overall means you spawn with little to no clue o what to expect. It is very much run, shoot, die, respawn, just like in Battlefront. 

The general skillevel required is so much lower compared to earlier games in the series. Or rather there is very little room and time for skill.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

You decided all that after a days play chief?

Usually takes me at least a month before I'm ready to make such sweeping statements of a bf game 

For the record i'm dieing much less in this than in BF4 and it seems a lot slower and more deliberate. Maybe you're playing it wrong?

• Upvote 4

Early days but I'm not really feeling this so far either. Something feels a bit off but I can't figure out what it is. I'm not sure I'd compare it to Battlefront though, that's a bit harsh! 

I am sure that is what I think right now yes. :-) 

Not the first BF I play, and there is something fundamentally different with this one. To me the similarities wih the gameplay in Battlefront are obvious but people are of course free to disagree.

18 minutes ago, koefoed said:

I am sure that is what I think right now yes. :-) 

Not the first BF I play, and there is something fundamentally different with this one. To me the similarities wih the gameplay in Battlefront are obvious but people are of course free to disagree.

Feels exactly like BF to me. 

I think the big thing is how much it feels stripped back in comparison to the Battlefield 3 and 4 due to the technology at the time but at the same it feels like Battlefield 3/4 gameplay wise.  I wouldn't say it feels anything like Battlefront, well like at all, if anything it reminds me more of 1942.  Maybe not as big maps or anything like that but the problem is these days they need to include all these different 'variants' for weapons.  Sure look at Battlefield 4 battlepacks compared to Battlefield 1 battlepacks.  In that Battlefield 4's battlepacks gave you so much shit - from suppressors, to optics etc as well as boosters.  Whilst in Battlefield 1 it's had to be stripped back to camos/melee weapons.

I actually admire that DICE went back to the older timeframe and think they've done a decent job of appealing to the unlock/grind gamer and us old bastards who preferred things stripped back/down.  It's a pretty good mix and it's something that can coexist alongside Battlefield 4 I'd say.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MrEPotato said:

I've probably played about that much and only had one. Friend who has played less has had three or four, so it's either random or him being squad leader and issuing orders is making a big difference.

35 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

You decided all that after a days play chief?

Usually takes me at least a month before I'm ready to make such sweeping statements of a bf game 

For the record i'm dieing much less in this than in BF4 and it seems a lot slower and more deliberate. Maybe you're playing it wrong?

I'm also dying substantially less than in BF4.

Yeah it's definitely a companion piece to BF4 and not a replacement. It offers a very different experience despite being essentially the same game. Certainly doesn't feel like Battlefront. 

One thing i'm liking is the increase in accuracy when stood still with DMR's. Adds a real risk/reward to skill based play.

BF4 is a  masterpiece, but it's a lot more run n gun than all previous BF's. This feels like a bit of a return to slower play, which i'm all for.

Haven't quite worked out how suppression affects the game yet 

• Upvote 1