Handy Links:

Battlefield Companion. Setup your loadouts

Google Docs Player Spreadsheet

Post Release

--------------------------------------

Original Post

--------------------------------------

So rumors have it that the next offering will be set  in WW1

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/02/26/battlefield-5-reportedly-set-in-world-war-1-according-to-retailer

Not a timeline thats been used well before, but i'm not really that invested in the weapons of that era.  Bi Planes could be fun, but the guns arent that inspring.

More of the same would have done me.

Edited by Robo_1
Added a post release

As long as it isn't future warfare after all those rumours around the time of the last DLC. 

I actually have faith in Dice pulling off a decent WW1 era Battlefield. I'll wait to pass judgement until we see the trailer, but that or more of the same will be fine.

While I think a WW1 setting could make for an interesting DLC, I think it would be pretty limiting for a full Battlefield game after what we've had in recent years. One of the big draws for me it the huge range of tactical equipment choices, and these would be massively reduced in a WW1 setting as most of them hadn't been invented at the time. No guided missiles, no sensors, limited vehicle upgrades, a much reduced range of fully automatic weapons etc.

23 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

While I think a WW1 setting could make for an interesting DLC, I think it would be pretty limiting for a full Battlefield game after what we've had in recent years. One of the big draws for me it the huge range of tactical equipment choices, and these would be massively reduced in a WW1 setting as most of them hadn't been invented at the time. No guided missiles, no sensors, limited vehicle upgrades, a much reduced range of fully automatic weapons etc.

That would be my main worry too

i'd settle for a WW2 based game any day over WW1, but as mentioned the tactical goodies and weapon sets are just so amazing in modern warfare.

sharpened tin helmet spike , monocle sniper attachement, and mud proof gators arent really cutting it for me. Although saying that, when the servers are a shit show at launch I hope they have a trench lobby feature were we can at least play cards whilst waiting to find a fucking game.

3 hours ago, KriessG said:

As long as it isn't future warfare after all those rumours around the time of the last DLC. 

I actually have faith in Dice pulling off a decent WW1 era Battlefield. I'll wait to pass judgement until we see the trailer, but that or more of the same will be fine.

I'd prefer the future to the past, but I'd much prefer a present day setting.

It sounds like a shit setting for BF tbh, I guess 32 people charging out of a trench to be mown down by machine gun fire will do wonders for your K/D ratio but there doesn't seem to be enough variety to make unique classes of soldier let alone the dynamics of vehicular combat.

WW1 era and too far into the future are about the only time settings I have zero interest in playing a BF style game :(

So no helicopters, no boats that move especially fast, minimal planes. No automatic rifles or semi auto pistols? When were grenades invented? How is this not a fucking terrible idea?

Dice are actually slowly building their entire company strategy around turning BF4 into a ten year juggernaut like WoW.

What DICE where to go the alternate universe route ?  Like Wolfensteins WW2 alternate universe.  I still think it will be modern anyway but I would fucking love a WW1/WW2 game with todays graphics.  Remember trenches weren't even the only part of WW1, though of course it's famously the most well known.

6 minutes ago, mr_woo said:

What DICE where to go the alternate universe route ?  Like Wolfensteins WW2 alternate universe.  I still think it will be modern anyway but I would fucking love a WW1/WW2 game with todays graphics.  Remember trenches weren't even the only part of WW1, though of course it's famously the most well known.

Check out Battalion 1944 on kickstarter, I've taken a punt on it as it looks good thus far!

2 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

What's with the future war hate? 2142 was AMAZEBALLS!

I'm all for future, just near future. If I wanted frickin' laser beams I'd play that bland piece of shit Star Wars Battlefront.

3 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

What's with the future war hate? 2142 was AMAZEBALLS!

Yeah, 2143 would be ace but I wouldn't want too futuristic for BF.

Basically 1942 & 1943 are the stand out periods for me in the BF series if not the best games - take what they have learnt and apply it to WW2 for me and I will throw money at the screen!

I don't buy it at all. BF4 was a PR disaster for Dice and EA and they've spent so much money and resources getting the engine and the networking in line. Hardline and Battlefront have both been stable and mostly bug free launches, and now BF5 is their first true next gen Battlefield title with all the glitches ironed out. I don't buy for one second that they'll take any major risks. It'll be a safe and sturdy update to BF4 with a couple of small surprises i'd bet my left nut on it

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...