rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Timmo

Your favourite moments in sport

Thought this would be pretty cool. Just post videos of and/or tell us about your favourite moments.

I'm gonna post about football and what is my favourite goal ever:

It's a shame the video quality isn't great but it's enough. (Edit - found a better one)

In full speed it looks decent but nothing special. The celebration seems to go on forever. And then the replays come... the crowd and commentator's reactions when they realise exactly what he did.

I particularly like how it's a goal from a troubled player who never really made it. For a number of reasons his career has been a disappointment (at 29 he seems done) but he can at least rest assured that he scored some English guy's favourite goal.

• Upvote 8

Utterly unbelievable that we came from 3 nil down, needing 4 goals in like 60 minutes, and we did for the second round in a row in the last few minutes. I still get goosebumps watching even highlights like that, and the commentary is almost burned into my brain.

Sadly, the commentator in that clip died only last week. I think most Boro fans consider this their favourite commentary of his.

• Upvote 4

I was there!

I was going to post that one up. Sensational night, the belief in the stadium was palpable, especially  as we pulled off the same come back in the Quarter Finals against Basel. (We must never talk about the final though.)

The round before..

I know it ended horribly but Nigel Benn beating McClellan, I was a kid and remember really getting into the occasion, It was just on normal prime time TV, I'll never forget that fight and also Holyfield beating Tyson the first time, watched that on tape in the morning and couldn't believe it

The British relay team beating the US at the Olympics

as an LFC fan, Michael Owens second goal against Arsenal in 2001 & Shevchenkos penalty miss in 2005 

• Upvote 1

My favourite MMA KO ever. The technique is crazy.

http://youtu.be/O-7CECdXum4

The bit of skill I still try to replicate every time I play football.

Just because. I couldn't get tickets to the game but this was incredible. Justice for Knockaert's dive too. My flat is at the other end of Vicarage Road, I can usually hear the crowd from home but the cheer when this went in was crazy. I ran outside and shouted in the general direction of the ground. Like an idiot. 

As it turns out I did get tickets to the final. We played shit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A real genuine 'holy shit' moment. 

Never seems to get much of a mention in terms of all time greats, but I think Alonso's resume stacks up well against any of the top guys. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, emjay2kay said:

Utterly unbelievable that we came from 3 nil down, needing 4 goals in like 60 minutes, and we did for the second round in a row in the last few minutes. I still get goosebumps watching even highlights like that, and the commentary is almost burned into my brain.

Sadly, the commentator in that clip died only last week. I think most Boro fans consider this their favourite commentary of his.

Yessssss! When Macaroni scored the pizza man just came to my house so he celebrated with us.

Dublins first All Ireland for 16 years won with a last minute point scored by our goal keeper. 

This penalty from David O'Leary. (1.20 in - can't link to the time for whatever reason)

Can remember staying up very late on a school night watching this with my Dad. And leaping around the living room at the end of the last frame. I can't find a better version of this frame.

• Upvote 3

For obvious reasons there's not much point in posting it, but the final day of the Ryder Cup in 2012. That little...Might we? We might...We are...We bloody did.

I almost never watch golf either, I've no real idea why I was watching it. But it was amazing.

So instead I'll post Henry scoring against Leeds, which was excellent as everyone hates Leeds and it was just so lovely to see him pop back for a few weeks and do exactly what he always did. 

• Upvote 4

My most memorable moment has to be the Ryan Babel goal, 4-2 against Arsenal in the champions league.

Adebayor celebrated like he did, I got loads of grief off my mates. Liverpool managed to make it 3-2. But obviously I was crapping myself because of away goals and if I remember rightly arsenal were dominating.

Babel scored and I slid across our cheap wickes laminate flooring right into the tv stand, sent our new Pioneer plasma flying towards me and some gaudy ornament my wife's friends bought her got smashed along the way.

Wife just called me a dick head.

Oh and obviously Istanbul needs a mention.

Great-Britain_2299974b.jpg

Not really a big athletics fan, but being lucky enough to be in that magnificent stadium on that night was unreal.  I didn't think I would ever hear a louder noise than the crowd roaring at Ennis as she rounded the last bend.  I don't even think she needed to win that race to get gold, but might as well go for it.

Then we had Farah in what I think was the last race of the night.  Absolute bedlam, I don't think I will ever hear a noise so loud in my entire life.  Certainly I will never witness another sporting moment that good live in my entire life.  It is all downhilll from here.

Now excuse me, I think I have something in my eye.  Might be having to watch West Brom play later though.

• Upvote 9

On 26/02/2016 at 9:24 PM, Danster said:

Right thread this time...

Sublime.... just incredible... youth, natural skill, arrogance, all wrapped up in a perfect score:

Even knowing the outcome it's still nail biting to watch. He has the calm of a world war II sniper all the way through. 

I trawl Youtube for Iniesta/Messi/Isco skill weeks/months after they've already happened, so they're not really 'moments' for me as I mostly don't see them live. The record 5 goals Messi scored against Leverkusen was pretty amazing for the fact he dinks the keeper with his favourite left foot which is from an acute angle and the lob is so low and curling and I don't even know how he calculated that would work (there's a fan video from behind that shows the perfect timing required), and then later on to be running in for his possible hat trick, the ball falling from high into his feet, this time being pressured by a defender who is pushing him wide, he easily lobs high with his weaker foot over the onrushing keeper, who anticipates and jumps as high as he can and yet the outcome of a goal is the same regardless of the difficulty of the chance, that making the chance harder made no difference to a player who doesn't suffer momentary loss of balance, poor footwork, bad timing, lack of composure.

For me that was the moment he became the best ever, I love how the lob (at keepers usually stood still rather than sliding into an attacker where the only option becomes to dink over) shows a complete mastery of the ball, and it's the only flamboyant thing he does, everything else he does on the pitch is stripped to its essence of maximum effectiveness (i prefer this style to Ronaldinho because there's no unpredictable bouncing, and his technique and footwork alter according to the situation, the Messi full game uploads often show he does something new each game, like using the referee as a shield last week when he ran into him and cut back into the space). I think Bergkamp was once asked about the lob and why he did it, and he just said that it's the more logical thing to do, there's more space above to exploit, and it just fits that for a player like Messi who doesn't care for showmanship would score so many goals this way. There's one where he lobs a keeper after nutmegging a player, it's ridiculous

Other moments are more like Jedi-like anticipation, one from Iniesta,

It's so perfectly choreographed for the player to slide in, for Iniesta to spring out of the way of the kicking foot, but it's that Iniesta can pull out such an abnormal Cruyff turn-of-sorts stopping the ball with his right foot and moving it away with left foot. When the ball is falling to the touchline it must be because he feels the weight of the player behind him and that the ball is bouncing that he recognizes the danger, but he doesn't just suspect a flying tackle 5 minutes into a game is coming, he knows and evades. It just blows me away that in fractions of a second he's engineered the whole move. He's a real life jedi. There are other moments when he can seemingly see things before they happen, but this is my favourite.

There's other moments with Iniesta I love, like the spin against PSG that resulted in him slashing the ball wide, he does the same to Xabi Alonso, the technique is unreal.

I don't know how that's possible, to flick the ball with the outside of your right foot/heel and spin like that. The way like Messi he is not flamboyant and doesn't show off, but does he plan it beforehand, does he think i'll pass to Xavi to move Alonso slightly across to enable me to do this, and is he hoping Xavi's pass is to his right foot, or does he just sense the vacate space and with the ball at his right foot in fractions of a second he just does it. Iniesta more than anyone else for me, with his size and physique and the way he glides around the pitch it is like he was perfectly formed to play the football that he does. Doing anything else in life he would appear ordinary, which makes it all the more striking to me how he holds himself on the pitch, like he's performed every conceivable action a billion times and been playing for a thousand years, always so effortless and light and elegant. Modern football seems to often suggest Cristiano Ronaldo as having the perfect modern footballer physique, being tall, strong and fast, but I think Iniesta has it.

• Upvote 1

ckny mentioned trying to avoid this one because it is too obvious, but if I'm picking my genuine favorite ever moment in sport, this has to be it.  The last three minutes of the 1999 Champions League final.  It still sends shivers down my spine when I watch it.  If you're a Man Utd fan, football will never again be as good as that season.  It was perfect.  There were so many extraordinary matches, goals, performances.  Giggs' incredible goal to win that FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal, which also included a last-minute penalty save from Schmeichel, and of course United were down to ten men at the time.  Then the league going to the last day of the season, with United having to come from a goal down, via two terrific goals from Beckham and Cole.  Along the way there was that amazing Cole/Yorke combination for the goal against Barcelona.  Then the CL final, with United 1-0 down and the 90 minutes up, it looked like it was all going to end in a damp squib.  

Here's an unusual view of the injury time period, with added views of the poor, broken Bayern players.

• Upvote 2

I can still remember this clearly, it was a Friday evening and my dad gave up on the game as 'nothing was going to happen' and he went for a bath (he's retained this knack for years of walking out the room at key sporting moments and we often try to get him to leave to liven up dull events)

• Upvote 2