IGNORED

Owzzat? Anyone play cricket games? Discuss them here

Death Adder

Played a few games of this now.  I own the Ashes game of a couple of years ago, but barely touched it, so my point of reference is Don Bradman on PS4.

I did the batting tutorials, and found the fact that going onto the back foot is a button-push now rather frustrating.  I much preferred it on a thumbstick.  Perhaps that can be changed.

It's far easier to rack up the runs in Cricket 19 than in Don Bradman.  In DB I hit sixes and fours easily to long on and off easily, until a fielder was put on the boundary, and after that I worked the ball around for singles.  In C19, the ball flies for four almost every time it hits the bat (on the middle skill level, anyway), and the fielders don't get near it, even in the crowded, shorter outfield of the women's game.

I created, as always, the tallest, biggest woman I could, and she's an absolute giant.  She stands out like Hagrid.

Overall I prefer DB, but it's nice to have this on a handheld.  That said, I found it awkward in handheld mode, so I guess I'll be lugging the pro controller with an and playing in tabletop mode.

The lazy commentary is rubbish.  Fine that they didn't record all the team names of Indian domestic cricket.  But they could have made allowances for that, rather than just deleting them.

Slater:  Welcome to today's match between (pause) and (pause).  Let's go down to the pitch.

as a noob to this series I found the full control system just too overwhelming to take in, so set it to the beginner one, which if I'm honest is still quite a lot to take in

only had time for an hour or so on it but still not got out the batting/bowling tutorials !

Switch patch is out.

Loading times the same.

Still stutters when loading and panning stadium - May look better to have a static shot during loading.

Fielders don’t have the stutter that means they found it hard to chase ball. Can be a bit jittery on occasion.

Seems to have an overall added sheen though.

Didn’t really notice anything else from a small play.

• 4 weeks later...

I've played quite a bit more of this on Switch now.  I'm about six seasons into a career as an Indian female player.

My player is a blonde bombshell as big as the game allowed me to make her, which is about 220 cm tall.  It's very amusing when she meets her partner in the middle between overs - it really looks like David and Goliath.

I started off in a league with cool, local-sounding names but then graduated (I presume it's a step up) to a different league, with the dullest team names ever. I'm with Southern Leopards, and we square off against Eastern Lions, Northern Tigers etc).

Despite my scintillating form, which makes Bradman look like Tuffers, it has been slow progress making the national team.  Eventually India made me an offer to be in their 50-over squad.  You can decline these offers.

Batting on the default difficulty is ridiculously easy.  About half my innings are not out.  Usually I'm out by unluckily playing on to the stumps.  However, I frequently have to retire hurt, not because a fast bowler hits me (that rarely happens and the effect went unnoticed) but because I was out of stamina.  You have a stamina bar which seems to deplete with the shots you play, more so for attacking shots and even more so for aggressive shots.  You get notice of an injury, then a few balls later you retire hurt.  Next time it happens, I'll stop playing shots to see if my stamina recovers.  Retiring hurt keeps you out for some time, and is a pain in the arse, frankly.

Spin bowling, which was my weakpoint in DB 14 is absurdly easy to hit here.  Also, it is usually possible to hit wherever you want, no matter what the delivery.  So if a ball is short and wide of your off stump, and you want to whack it to square leg, you can.  The animation might show a pull or a cut, but the result is the same.  Sometimes the ball will thud into your pads but not often.

Commentary is dismal, loading times are very long before an innings but bearable once it starts.

The games sets you targets, like score 800 runs, hit 40 sixes and hit 50 fours (cummulatively, not in one innings).  They seem to give you bonus experience points.  Unlike DB14, you don't get the bonuses for hitting the first ball the boundary, running three etc. Or if you do, there's no explanation - the game just tots up the win match and bonus experience at the end.  You go up levels, and there are two  currencies for upgrading your player.  They are batting / bowling / fielding points, and skill points. To get better at pull shots, cut shots, attacking shots, footwork or whatever, you first have to unlock the next tier with a batting point.  Then you need to spend however many skillpoints to go up that tier.  Which is fine, but the game showers you with skill points, but is stingy with batting points.  I have over 1200 unused skill points, enough to be fully upgraded, but I can't use them without more batting points, and that only seems to happen when I go up a level.  There are also perks along the lines of Moderate Increase To Hook Shots or Slightly Better Focus In T-20.  Buggered if I can see any difference 

Haven't done any bowling yet.

There are a few bugs.  In the batting stats, my player's total stats are displayed, and there's an option "Team", which I assume shows my stats for each team I play for.  But the game quits to the Switch screen whenever I select it, with an error.

There's not a lot of cricket in the Indian women's game.  The season only lasts a few matches in the winter, and there's no summer touring. Also, Southern Leopards only seem to play T-20 or 50-over games.  The first team I joined did play some 3-day games.  But now the seasons are zipping by.  I've also been offered a contract by a foreign team so hopefully that and my call up to the national team will slow time down a bit.

It's not a polished game at all, but it's fun, and there aren't many alternatives for portable cricket fans.  One nice thing is that the game auto-saves every over, so if you have to quit suddenly (or encounter a bug), you don't lose much progress.

Phew, what an essay that was.  Anyone tried the PS4 or Bone versions?

• 2 years later...

Started Cricket 19 on Switch* and an working my way through a single test match to get used to the game.

Any tips for settings, camera, etc?

Bowled Australia out for 431, then only batted for 213, but on the enforced follow on I am 2/243 and now lead heading into day 4. 

I am on easy I think but getting used to the nuances and will do some harder difficulties for competitions and career.

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

Started Cricket 19 on Switch* and an working my way through a single test match to get used to the game.

Any tips for settings, camera, etc?

Bowled Australia out for 431, then only batted for 213, but on the enforced follow on I am 2/243 and now lead heading into day 4. 

I am on easy I think but getting used to the nuances and will do some harder difficulties for competitions and career.

Cricket 19 defaults to button presses for both batting and bowling. For batting you should use the analog sticks. 

So getting better and now trying to play on hard with legendary AI.

But question about bowling.

I am using standard bowling on both pace and spin.

Guides talk about aiming at either the leg it off stump. How do I do this? I only see how to select length and bowl type.

So for example...

I bowl an out swinger at good length with a little extra length using RB.

At which point do I choose what stump I aim at? 

Is it when I can step left and right before the run up? Or using the left stick held in a position during the run up and release? 

I get wides if I aim an out swinger with the next stick aimed even a little to that side.

@bradigorIf I recall, you first set the general landing area - for which there is a marker - but there isn't one for when you release the ball (which is what you are talking about.) That bit is skill-based and works on the principle that straight up is middle stump and then you can go either side (obviously the further left or right you push, the wider it'll go.)

Probably worth playing around with the bowling training because I haven't bowled for a long time, but yeah, the key to accurate deliveries is where the stick is positioned when you release the ball. It's something you do need to get a feel for. 

I bought the Cricket 19 DLC. They seem to have made smashing huge sixes far easier for the Hundred. If you middle it, it's going way into the stands.

With regards to the Hundred, how do the overs work? Is it twenty 5 ball overs in an innings?

10 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I faced 5 ball overs. Unless you get the option of bowling 5 or 10 before switching bowler?

I was reading the rules earlier - seems like the captain can choose whether the bowler bowls 5 balls or 10 balls in a row for that particular over. So a single over can have 2 bowlers. Each individual bowler can bowl up to 20 balls in an inning.

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

I was reading the rules earlier - seems like the captain can choose whether the bowler bowls 5 balls or 10 balls in a row for that particular over. So a single over can have 2 bowlers. Each individual bowler can bowl up to 20 balls in an inning.

How stupid is that? I thought the whole point was to make things simpler and more accessible! 

If you’re a fast bowler you wouldn’t want to bowl 10 ball overs. I assume they only switch ends after 10 balls to save time? So you’d have two sets of 5 balls from two different bowlers from the same end?

I should try and watch a game this week for it to hopefully make more sense.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

If you’re a fast bowler you wouldn’t want to bowl 10 ball overs. I assume they only switch ends after 10 balls to save time? So you’d have two sets of 5 balls from two different bowlers from the same end?

I should try and watch a game this week for it to hopefully make more sense.

But you can only bowl a maximum of 20 balls in a match (I think) , so I don't think it's unreasonable to bowl 10 balls in one go. Besides, my point was more that this format was meant to be easy for new people to pick up - having some bowlers bowl 10 in a row but others only 5 is just needlessly confusing and makes it even less different to a normal T20 game.

• 2 months later...

The best bit about that article is the new commentary team - the previous iterations have been terrible, but hopefully the new additions (not least Atherton) will bump it up a bit - I remember the International Cricket games on the 360 about 10 years ago had decent commentary (and even though you'd hear the same anecdotes from Bumble and Warney again and again, the fact they were there made it feel a bit more like watching a real game).

Yes, Golding's thoughts on what goes through a bowler's mind after he's just been hit for six, Warner's musings on the hook shot and Greig's thoughtful picking his all-time 11 were excellent and really added to the experience.  Even the PS1 Brian Lara had some funny snippets from Aggers and Boycott.  The commentary on Big Ant games has just been unbelievable in its crapness.

32 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The best bit about that article is the new commentary team - the previous iterations have been terrible, but hopefully the new additions (not least Atherton) will bump it up a bit - I remember the International Cricket games on the 360 about 10 years ago had decent commentary (and even though you'd hear the same anecdotes from Bumble and Warney again and again, the fact they were there made it feel a bit more like watching a real game).

It wasn't that the commentators themselves (I like Michael Slater), it was the complete nonsense they spouted.