rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Steven

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Darth Vaper

Perfect. Does what it says on the tin, sweet merchandising opportunities, will appeal to the disenfranchised millenial market and fits with canon.

• Upvote 1

If you look carefully, you will see that Snoke’s hobby is debunking myths on the Galactic Network. So his name is just like the rest. 

• Upvote 6

Not explaining where Snoke comes from between ROTJ and TFA is like if George Lucas had made the prequels and Palpatine wasn’t in them. 

In the Star Wars dating system, one of the months is called Noke. Unfortunately a batch of faulty calendars was published with an extra thirteenth month, called Snoke.

• Downvote 1

For people interested in Box Office Numbers - Grace Randolph's videos are pretty good.

She has done a few on TLJ which are well worth a look if you are interested (she's a fan of the film btw). 

Spoiler

The origin of Ben Solo’s turning is truly tragic.

His mentor Unky Luke was high on the sea-milk again, watching a ‘70s BBC kids show on Jed-iPlayer about an intrepid adventurer and his canine sidekick.

In comes Ben, all hench from benching an old X-Wing, and asks his Unk what’s happening.

”Fuck off I’m watching telly”, Luke slurs.

”What?”, asks young Ben.

”Fucking Go with Noakes!”, shouts the lactose pisshead.

And mishearing him, Ben exits. Tragedy ensues.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

difficult to disagree with anything in this twitter thread

That's a terrific read, thanks for posting it.

I've never bought into the "But Luke is a hero, he'd never do that!" argument.

Sure Luke is very heroic and he's unquestionably a force for good.  But he's flawed too.  He's shown to be flawed in previous films.  All the Jedi are.  The best of them - Obi Wan, Yoda, Luke - learn from their mistakes and come good in the end.

The idea of good vs evil, and whether people are ever completely one or the other, is questioned in this film time and again.  But it's been questioned before in Star Wars, you don't need to look too hard for that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

pretty much spot on... Luke becomes the ultimate hero by the end of TLJ.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

That thread really is a great read on Luke's position in the SW universe overall and I wish it had been posted the week after 'TLJ' came out.

Do you think it would have made much difference to the discussions around Luke if it was posted earlier? It's a fairly straight read of the films with very little "reading of the tea leaves" to get there, and I suspect it is the same reaction many of us (including me) had to his portrayal in TLJ.

I think a lot of people are unhappy with that specific choice for Luke, rather than that they don't "get" it.

When watching the end of the movie, when Kylo Ren ordered

Spoiler

the First Order to all fire on Luke, and we saw all those laser blasts simultaneously 'hit' him, and afterwards Luke just stood there looking all badass

I really though that the movie was ruined.  I was like

Spoiler

FFS, he's not a Superman. He couldn't survive that intact. This is so fucking dumb! :angry:

A few minutes later, we find out why, and I was all like "Oh shit, that's amazing!" :D 

• Upvote 7

29 minutes ago, MechE said:

Do you think it would have made much difference to the discussions around Luke if it was posted earlier? It's a fairly straight read of the films with very little "reading of the tea leaves" to get there, and I suspect it is the same reaction many of us (including me) had to his portrayal in TLJ.

I think a lot of people are unhappy with that specific choice for Luke, rather than that they don't "get" it.

You're probably right that for the #NotMyLuke brigade it wouldn't have made much difference but it certainly articulated how I felt about the choices they made in a way that I would never have been able to explain. 

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

I don't agree with it. Obviously ;-)

I don't think the film really needs to explain why Luke didn't come to save Han Solo; the future is always in flux and it might have been a stretch for Luke to believe Ben would murder his father even if he did see it.

More interestingly, Den of Geek suggests that TLJ might have been a riff on Lucas original sequel treatment: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/star-wars/54435/how-george-lucas-influenced-star-wars-the-last-jedi

I like the version described there better though.

37 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

You're probably right that for the #NotMyLuke brigade it wouldn't have made much difference but it certainly articulated how I felt about the choices they made in a way that I would never have been able to explain

that's why I shared it. ^_^

1 hour ago, NickC said:

When watching the end of the movie, when Kylo Ren ordered

Hide contents

the First Order to all fire on Luke, and we saw all those laser blasts simultaneously 'hit' him, and afterwards Luke just stood there looking all badass

I really though that the movie was ruined.  I was like

Hide contents

FFS, he's not a Superman. He couldn't survive that intact. This is so fucking dumb! :angry:

A few minutes later, we find out why, and I was all like "Oh shit, that's amazing!" :D 

Spoiler

I questioned immediately after his entrance into the fortress whether he was really there. But then he had the conversation with Leia and handed her the dice which persuaded me that he was there. Then the barrage of laser blasts made me question it again... at which point I decided to stop trying to figure it out and just go with whichever way the movie chose.

After that, I should have noticed that he wasn't making marks on the floor! I noticed that he wasn't making contact with Kylo Ren, but assumed it could just be doing the old martial arts film thing of the master being so skilled that he can just parry everything and let his opponent defeat himself.

(IMO the only moment where I thought the dodging in that scene went over the top was the one Matrixy shot of the limbo slide under the lightsaber.)

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Nick R said:

In the Star Wars dating system, one of the months is called Noke. Unfortunately a batch of faulty calendars was published with an extra thirteenth month, called Snoke.

250px-Smarch.png

by leaving lots of unfinished back stories, it allows Disney to create lots more spinoff movies which fill in those missing narratives.

mark my words there will be a film that either directly or indirectly tells us exactly where snoke came from.

Could even be in the bloody solo film for all we know.....

• Upvote 1

The Movie Bob reviews on The Last Jedi are by far the best and most informative I've read/seen. 

His delivery is... almost certainly not to everyone's taste as it's a bit annoying a rapid fire, but the actual content is fucking great. 

He also hates Alien: Covenant which is always a plus in my book. 

• Upvote 1

Apologies if this has already been posted, it's an interesting look at the Jedi over the first six films.

I can totally understand why some are disappointed with Luke's arc in The Last Jedi. But after seeing this and some of the other videos here I personally think that Luke is at his best, and at his most heroic when

...he turns away from Jedi lore and discipline and instead gives in and embraces his compassion and empathy.

Anyway you might find this interesting.

• Upvote 3

The case against the Jedi video is excellent, I saw it recently and loved it. 

For all of the sloppy execution of the prequels, I do find a lot of the themes really interesting. I also very much enjoy the fallibility found in the Jedi way, that they're so terrified of things like attachment to other people - that can be used to plot against them due to their foresight and future premonitions - that they don't see the bigger picture and are in some ways just as bad as the Sith.

...only a Sith deals in absolutes.     

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Phelan said:

This is also worth a watch in regard to Luke Skywalker

He's very good - but I just can't handle 15 minutes of talking like that.  

33 minutes ago, scottcr said:

He's very good - but I just can't handle 15 minutes of talking like that.  

15 minutes? Pah, lightweight! I recently spent three hours listening to him break down all the different ways in which Batman v Superman is "Really That Bad". And it was worth it!

Admittedly it was three hours split across three videos released over a span of about two months...

I don't mind his talking, it's just his frequent little micro-edits between takes that bug me.

And yeah, the King Arthur bit of that Luke video is great. :D

• Upvote 3