rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Steven

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but keep at it and before long fewer than 50% of your posts will be about how much you dislike TLJ.

Edit - in reply to the gif with Putin above.

Out of interest, since Tim Berners-Lee had an interesting theory about networking computers over a distance, has anyone in the history of the internet made a grand 'I’m done’ post and then not kept replying anyway 10 minutes later?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bridger said:

I just don't understand why so many people like Dirty Harry Potter (who's far from the only one, but for some reason just stands out to me more so apologies for that) have to keep telling people that they don't like the film and why over and over again.

The films been out for 10 months almost now and there are new YouTube videos on a seemingly daily basis along with threads like this being constantly added to with people just repeating the same points over and over and saying how Star Wars is dead to them etc.

It's not that I disagree with a lot of the points, because I don't but I just don't understand what's to be gained by putting so much of your life into something you say you dislike? It seems like such a waste.

Just move on guys. You'll be a lot happier I'm sure.

As long as Kevvy Metal can constantly bang on about how much he adores it, why shouldn't Dirty Potter be allowed to hate it? I see your double standards and raise you a middle finger.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

As long as Kevvy Metal can constantly bang on about how much he adores it, why shouldn't Dirty Potter be allowed to hate it? I see your double standards and raise you a middle finger.

I think my post are of a slightly higher quality, and seen as I've been a member here since 2004 I've managed to contribute a little bit more than just posting disruptive posts about Star Wars.  

Yeah I think the film is great, so fuck? Other people are also totally allowed to hate anything they wish to... it's just better for the forum in general if they don't act like idiots while doing so. 

• Downvote 1

:lol:  Since when did rllmuk have a % of quality posts quota? :lol:

Man alive, we'd need a serious purging to get that figure up.

For the record I thought TLJ was garbage and I'm willing to do a Voigt-Kampff or captcha test to prove I'm not a bot.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I’d say talking about something you like is more healthy than reiterating how much you hate something. I mean, that seems obvious, right? If you’re feeling down, you don’t stick on your least favourite song, tuck into some food you don’t like, go for a walk past a rendering plant, and then settle down to watch a film you thought was totally shit.

• Upvote 8

I genuinely think things are changing on that front. And I'm not saying that as a judgement, just an observation.

Some people value commenting on things they don't like, perhaps moreso than they value commenting on things they do like.

Negative comments have always been there of course, but it's the strength of feeling and sustained period of commentary that has changed, IMO.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, K said:

I’d say talking about something you like is more healthy than reiterating how much you hate something. I mean, that seems obvious, right? If you’re feeling down, you don’t stick on your least favourite song, tuck into some food you don’t like, go for a walk past a rendering plant, and then settle down to watch a film you thought was totally shit.

I think everyone is on the same side in that they like Star Wars and want it to be good. But in this modern era, fans are empowered, and being highly critical and highly visible is a way of making your voice heard. There are plenty of movies and franchises that have changed direction based on fan backlash, from Sony ditching Amazing Spiderman for Homecoming, to Marvel rejigging Thor, or giving more focus to their villains due to criticisms.

• Upvote 1

The part I find hard to parse is whether the aspects of the film that are trying to grow the characters (Poe/Holdo, Canto Bight, Luke pouring cold water on the legacy of the Jedi) are disliked because they're badly done, or disliked because fans don't like the underlying message that heroes can be flawed.

IMO heroes learning that not everything they do will come up roses, but they should learn from that, is absolutely a solid thing to make a movie about, & most fans would seem to agree, but I keep seeing the claims that the movie does this badly & the message is therefore mangled, a view I can't really get on board with.

1 hour ago, K said:

If you’re feeling down, you don’t stick on your least favourite song, tuck into some food you don’t like, go for a walk past a rendering plant, and then settle down to watch a film you thought was totally shit.

Well no but I don't think anyone is implying that people who hate TLJ are constantly watching it. 

• Upvote 2

There used to be one a short distance away from where I lived as a child. I think they boil down bones if I’m not mistaken. 

Whatever it is they do though, they stink. Really really bad like nothing you’ve ever smelt. 

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

What's a rendering plant anyway? And why should I not walk past one if I'm feeling down?

They turn dead horses and cattle into glue. There was one next to the school playing fields when I was a kid, and you'd occasionally see trucks full of eyeless rotting horse carcasses rattling up the road, dripping unspeakable fluids behind them, and it made me imagine the plant itself as like something HR Giger would have thought up.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

There are plenty of movies and franchises that have changed direction based on fan backlash, from Sony ditching Amazing Spiderman for Homecoming, to Marvel rejigging Thor.

I think you're reaching a bit with your examples there. Both those films received a lukewarm reception rather than full backlash (and I don't really think there's been much of a change of direction with Thor either).

But saying that, didn't they completely cut MJ in Amazing Spider-man 2 because there was a backlash against her not being good-looking enough?

Hardly fandom's proudest moment....

Well the fan empowerment worked wonders for the future of the Ghostbusters series... ;)

Or was that just the relative commercial failure of it, much like that fan favourite Solo did one for the stories series.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Watched this on nowtv the other day. Loved it just like I did in the cinemas. After the prequels I never thought I’d see good Star Wars movies being made, but here they are. Can’t wait for the next one 

Didn't you get the memo? You're not allowed to tell people you enjoyed the film otherwise the people who haunt this threat will come and tell you you're wrong for the millionth time.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

:lol: Tourist, so predictable. We get it, you hate the film. Move on mate.

*edit*

And again :lol:

*edit,*

Ay-up got me a 2 for 1 with Dirty Harry Potter too.

Just gotta laugh now, it's all beyond parody 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 04/10/2018 at 23:40, mushashi said:

Well the fan empowerment worked wonders for the future of the Ghostbusters series... ;)

Or was that just the relative commercial failure of it, much like that fan favourite Solo did one for the stories series.

It has actually. Answer the Call has pretty much been declared as non-canon and a new shoot / movie is being made to replace it.

Which makes one wonder....if the timeframe of the next Star wars movie is being moved out.....maybe the ip owners have ignored those weirdos like me that enjoyed it and are instead making the next Star Wars movie a replacement for Last Jedi?

3 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

It has actually. Answer the Call has pretty much been declared as non-canon and a new shoot / movie is being made to replace it.

But is that fan empowerment or the mundane realities of commercial failure responsible for that? As it sounds like they've just gone and done a soft-reboot, which in the case of the new Star Wars trilogy, would be fairly difficult to do. The Terminator series is doing the same thing too, ignoring a whole bunch of sequels in their case, but probably nothing to do with fanboy wailing either.

• Upvote 1