rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Steven

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The people who didn't like TLJ might be reluctant to see Solo because the last movie blunted their enuthasiam for all things Star Wars.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, SMD said:

Can't wait for the backlash to mean Abrams serves up another piece of shit that hammers your nostalgia bone and everyone to go "ahhh, now this is real Star Wars!" 

And then later moan its too much of the same and brought nothing new.

4 hours ago, SMD said:

Can't wait for the backlash to mean Abrams serves up another piece of shit that hammers your nostalgia bone and everyone to go "ahhh, now this is real Star Wars!" 

I also cannot wait for this to happen. I will be very happy indeed.

I saw this recently and as someone who isn't a big Star Wars fan really enjoyed it.

It is overlong, and it's clear where it could have been cut (people who say that the Canto Bight section has "vital character development" are kidding themselves, all that happens when sneaking around the Imperial ship with DJ afterwards) and there's a fair few odd bits (spacewalk Carrie), but the Rey/Luke/Kylo stuff is just really well done, and provides the emotional centre. Like even if Canto Bight weren't in there, I imagine people would want away from Rose and Finn because their stuff just isn't as comparatively interesting.

That said, I'm not confident that the next one will be able to follow up on it. "Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love" is a nice slogan, but give over pet, you're in the blockbusteriest of blockbusters, don't pretend you're not going to have an action scene every 15 minutes with loads of death and destruction. The only way you'd actually be able to follow through and commit to that subversion of something with "Wars" literally in the title is a big enough change to the in-universe status quo where you can end the franchise, and we all know that isn't going to happen under Disney.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

My 38 year love affair with SW is finally over, and I'm ok with that. Personally I'm looking forward to Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 far more - than anything on the radar from Lucasfilm. Words I never thought I would have written this time last year.

I'm happy I got 40 years out of Star Wars. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was enough to kill my enthusiasm for that franchise though.

4 hours ago, Delargey said:

The people who didn't like TLJ might be reluctant to see Solo because the last movie blunted their enuthasiam for all things Star Wars.

but that still doesn't make sense, Solo is nothing like TLJ, if anything people who liked TLJ are gonna be less inclined to like Solo because it's the opposite of what they're looking for. I'm not seeing Solo cos in my opinion it's a story that doesn't need to be told. I'd much rather a Lando origin film and I'm hoping some enterprising soul will make a supercut of the Lando scenes once the Bluray is out.

2 hours ago, makkuwata said:

I also cannot wait for this to happen. I will be very happy indeed.

To each their own but you're bad and you should feel bad.

My kids love the new Star Wars films, by the way. Maybe it's not necessarily about 40 year olds like me and thee.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SMD said:

but that still doesn't make sense, Solo is nothing like TLJ, if anything people who liked TLJ are gonna be less inclined to like Solo because it's the opposite of what they're looking for. 

Yeah, but the people who didn't like TLJ might be less inclined to see another Star Wars movie so the backslash against TLJ would have contributed to Solo"s poor opening weekend.

12 hours ago, Pob said:

Solo’s poor opening weekend must in part be a reaction to TLJ’s risks backfiring with fans. 

Its more probably a person playing an actor  you love as a character becoming the character you love, hitting story beats that you didn’t really need to know.

1 hour ago, macosx said:

Its more probably a person playing an actor  you love as a character becoming the character you love, hitting story beats that you didn’t really need to know.

Yes, there are multiple reasons. If TLJ had hit home like Infinity War did, though, there would’ve been a halo effect around Solo. I think Ant-Man & The Wasp’s box office will benefit greatly from how well BP and IW were received. 

I think after the ‘death of the old, birth of the new’ messaging in The Last Jedi it’s a bit jarring to then going into this Solo standalone movie. You can’t tell your audience to do one thing and then be surprised when they do it.

most likely that its just fatigue with the franchise. In the same way the SW EU quickly became a sea of garbage - so are these films. 

The biggest mistake Disney made with SW is proceeding with no clear plan where any of it was heading - and just pumping out as much content as possible.

the marvel universe feels like there is a strong overarching narrative at work. As should SW. Instead what we have is a random mess of big budget fanfic that contradicts and conflicts and has no clear direction. We are 2/3 of the way through a new SW trilogy. And what was the narrative point of any of it? Its a mess. 

• Upvote 8

That seems to have been JJ's fault by all intents and purposes, just him setting up mystery boxes rather than intentionally making the first in a trilogy.

I thought the message of tlj was at least pretty good and coherent, whereas the prequels had much less of a narrative message or anything of the sort.

So at least they've got better :)

Johnson was so disgusted by the cul de sac that was TFA that he set himself a task to undo as much as he possibly could. Like @Dirty Harry Potter says, that's a staggering lack of planning. Letting Rian do whatever he wants, whilst simultaneously hamstringing (then firing) the likes of Lord and Miller suggests rudderlessness.

Would anyone really mind if the pace of release slowed down, if the quality improved? I'd happily wait three years or longer if it meant getting a Ragnarok or Infinity War equivalent at the end of it. The approach where Disney just pump these things out is short termism in the extreme.

• Upvote 7

As much as Marvel excell in world building, they have had their fair share of misteps, such as Ironman 2 and Thor 2.

I think it's fine to have different directors who have slightly different visions for the individual movies but it seems weird that they picked directors who have such juxaposing ideas on where the franchaise should go.

3 hours ago, b00dles said:

That seems to have been JJ's fault by all intents and purposes, just him setting up mystery boxes rather than intentionally making the first in a trilogy.

I thought the message of tlj was at least pretty good and coherent, whereas the prequels had much less of a narrative message or anything of the sort.

So at least they've got better :)

The difference between the new stuff and the prequels is pretty clear.

The prequels had interesting stories that were poorly executed. The new stuff has poor stories that are executed well.

And at some point someone will make a SW story that is both interesting and well executed.

But by the looks of it, not for a while.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

n the same way the SW EU quickly became a sea of garbage - so are these films.

They reined the EU in, after the explosion of tat. But even amongst all the earlier absurd works, there's the odd gem. The origin story (AC Crispin) is a great trilogy of books. The last few years, leading up to the buy-out, was way more coordinated by LucasFilm.

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The prequels had interesting stories that were poorly executed. The new stuff has poor stories that are executed well.

And at some point someone will make a SW story that is both interesting and well executed.

Trade disputes are always interesting.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, TehStu said:

My kids love the new Star Wars films, by the way. Maybe it's not necessarily about 40 year olds like me and thee.

Well they clearly don't love them enough to pester you to buy all the toys :P It's older people apparently doing most of the heavy lifting on the merchandise front at present and if they get disenchanted, a huge pillar of Neu-Disney starts to look a bit less solid.

• Empathy 1

This video perfectly articulates how I feel about The Last Jedi. The Kylo Ren arc, including Luke/Rey, is absolutely some of my favourite Star Wars stuff ever, and a cut above your usually blockbuster fare. I can see myself coming back to TLJ more than the others for this alone.

This makes the Finn arc all the more disappointing, which he also highlights in this video. Very odd they cut the scene about him not wanting to join the resistance, as that would have given a little more weight to his storyline.

• Upvote 7

I just finished my second watch of this, finally. I liked it to start with but I think it's absolutely wonderful now. 

• Upvote 6

That’s a really well put together video. And I agree with alot of its points. 

As good as the Kylo Rey stuff is.. the rose/fin/holdo/poe stories ruin the film for me.. to the point I have no desire to watch it ever again. 

• Upvote 1

On 30 May 2018 at 13:33, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Nail on the head.

As for the third sentence, they did. It ended in 1983.

• Upvote 1

So could someone just quickly summarise the interesting stories that the prequels had? It's a long time since I saw them and you're not going to trick me into watching that shit again.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Exidor said:

So could someone just quickly summarise the interesting stories that the prequels had? It's a long time since I saw them and you're not going to trick me into watching that shit again.

Darth Maul and the two good Jedi have a dance-off.

Anakin and Padme have a very strange romp in the meadow, whilst Ben's off to Ikea to watch the clones get created.

Palpatine gets electrocuted, and becomes what I can only assume is an Opera singer, whilst Anakin becomes Herman Munster.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Exidor said:

The Ancient Religious Space Police charged with keeping the peace have grown complacent in maintaining the status quo, and fixed in their dogma. Because of this, they fail to notice that they are being manipulated by an evil politician, who aims to corrupt an idealistic and lovesick freed slave into becoming the most iconic villain in all of popular fiction.

The ingredients are there, now if they can only nail the execution...

• Upvote 4

Idealistic freed slave that also murdered loads of kids before he really got lovesick and worried about her death.

Who also made c-3p0 and thinks spinning is always good.

No suggestion that the emperor wanted to turn him into Darth Vader, or why, other than he does, even though he wants Luke to kill him in rotj to join the dark side. 

It's all written by the same person somehow.

I'm sure this won't  win over any of the people convinced this is a shit movie for reasons that somehow now include that it has a worse story than the prequels but here's another good video essay from generally a pretty good channel all round.

He does also make the valid point  I took a dig at there that you can still dislike a film but recognise that it does some bits well.

• Upvote 4