Varsity

Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Another Lego game announced, this time based on the new Star Wars film, Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I'm an avid fan of Lego games and I don't think there's a single one I haven't played.

Teaser Trailer:

Interestingly, they are apparently doing a few things to change the formula of Lego games this time round.

Excerpt from X360A;

Among the new gameplay features is an enhanced 'Multi-Builds' system, enabling players to choose between multiple building options to progress, and you'll also be able to engage in cover-based blaster battles against the First Order. Add to that lot high-speed flight gameplay, dogfights and arena-based battles with vehicles including the Millennium Falcon, and LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens is sounding a bit good.

Additionally, it will also include levels bridging the gap between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens! As everything Disney produce is now the official canon, it will be interesting to see what they do with this and I am looking forward to seeing the events between films even in Lego form.

Available on multi platform, June 28!

• Upvote 6

You've played all of them? That's a lot of Lego games. I do enjoy them but only maybe one a year. The rate that the have been turning them out recently is astonishing. I'd like to see some proper innovation in the formula now to be honest. Maybe this will bring some of that but I doubt it.

It's going to need a lot of content. The ones I've played have spanned multiple films (Star Wars, Indy, Harry Potter), with the older Marvel one being the exception. Well, and Lego Movie, but that was a cheaper title.

Yeah, they're very quick to jump on the film tie-ins these days, but the appeal of the earlier games was how they represented entire franchises. (Did they ever 'finish' the Hobbit properly?)

No they didn't. They did say they were going to do the third film as DLC but that never surfaced. I remember something similiar with Lego Indy 2, when they decided to add more levels from the first 3 films as well as the new one. Purely because the new film couldn't carry the game. That particular one rates pretty poorly for me as all the best bits from the original trilogy had already been covered and the Crystal Skull was just awful in basically every way,

I imagine that's why they've decided to add in new material from between films. As good as Ep 7 is, there isn't enough memorable moments to carry the entire game. I'm still optimistic though.

Yes! Tried playing the original Lego Star Wars recently to scratch this itch and they are really dull with dated repetitive mechanics. This is a must buy for me.

You've played all of them? That's a lot of Lego games. I do enjoy them but only maybe one a year. The rate that the have been turning them out recently is astonishing. I'd like to see some proper innovation in the formula now to be honest. Maybe this will bring some of that but I doubt it.

The only ones I've not played are Lord of the Rings (that's next in the queue), Avengers (only just come out) and Dimensions (too expensive). Almost all of them I've 100%ed. I'm not even a fan of Star Wars but I'm hyped for this!

The only ones I've not played are Lord of the Rings (that's next in the queue), Avengers (only just come out) and Dimensions (too expensive). Almost all of them I've 100%ed. I'm not even a fan of Star Wars but I'm hyped for this!

Which are the better ones? Lego City Undercover on the Wii U was fantastic.

• Upvote 1

FFS - I wish they'd stop tempting the daft, easily manipulated fools out there desperate for yet another quick Star Wars fix who also love Lego even though it's bound to be exactly the same as pretty much every Lego game ever made since the early days of the last console generation.*

*Yes, I'm one of them.

• Upvote 1

I've only really played the first Marvel one, but this looks like it's going to be worth a go too.

Do they really expect many people to buy all of them though? I just assumed they churn out so many variations on a theme to ensure that's at least one franchise that will appeal to pretty much everyone.

Yep, got the vast majority of them here too and actively looking to fill in the rest. Partly because I have a young son who gets a real kick from the 'collect studs, unlock new characters' thing but I'd be lying if I didn't say I got a sense of satisfaction going back through on free play and mopping up all of the extras.

We've done the full 100% on all three of the Batman games and the first Marvel one, which to my mind is the best of the lot, largely thanks to the excellent open world structure. I understand Lego City Undercover is also great in this respect so looking forward to getting to that. He's just finished the first Harry Potter book and seems to have loved it so I daresay we'll be hunting down Years 1-4 once we're done with the Avengers game.

Dude, they're ALL THE SAME!

Yeah pretty much, but the good ones are 7 or 8/10 and the bad ones (most of them) are 6/10.

The old Lego Star Wars didn't even follow the movies properly, had shitty combat mechanics (marvel does it much better, more impact), no voice acting (divides opinion but I like it) and really annoying little challenges (see; pod race and hoth level).

New trailer, announcing some of the new characters and story adventures.

LEGO BB-8 will never not be amazing.

• Upvote 2

No one playing this?? Your missing out as it's very good.  The dogfighting space/air based missions are well done and like the previous few games there's multiple hubs to explore, including the interior of the Falcon.

It looks a little rough at times, but that might be because I'm on the Wii U, and as with all Lego games it crashes occasionally but it is a lot of fun.  Worth it for hearing Harrison Ford say 'Wookie Cookies' (yes it's him, all the cast did voice work!).

Finished it 100% yesterday on the Xbox One.  Very enjoyable and the extra levels added to the back story nicely.

Only criticism was that it did start to drag a little when going for the 100% completion

2 hours ago, Ivanho said:

No one playing this??

Nope. I always stay a Lego game or two behind - much cheaper then! Only just started Avengers!

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2016 at 12:54, deKay said:

Nope. I always stay a Lego game or two behind - much cheaper then! Only just started Avengers!

Yup, on a 'to buy' list, although almost cracked when I saw the local version comes with a Poe Dameron X-Wing minifig.

That and still have LEGO Jurassic World to polish off. That was the first LEGO game I properly stalled on, so a longer break is probably needed before going back. If I can ever put down Pocket Card Jockey then I might start clearing some of my PS4 backlog...

22 hours ago, glb said:

Yup, on a 'to buy' list, although almost cracked when I saw the local version comes with a Poe Dameron X-Wing minifig.

Which local version would that be glb?

UK got a sandy Stormtrooper Finn minifig. :wub:

2 hours ago, tnman said:

Which local version would that be glb?

UK got a sandy Stormtrooper Finn minifig. :wub:

UAE - not sure if it's the same across the Middle East. A Sandtrooper is cool! That might have swayed me more than the X-Wing to be honest. Love those little guys.