IGNORED

Horace and Pete - CK, Buscemi, Alda, Wright

futureshock

How's this for the least chatty email promo ever?

Hi there.  

Horace and Pete
episode one is available for download.  $5.  

We hope you like it.  

Regards, 

Louis

Filmed as a theatrical production with lengthy scenes and multiple cameras, it's set in an old bar, as if Pinter directed Cheers.

Steve Buscemi and Alan Alda are brilliantly cast in roles they can each explore. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so here's a picture instead.

06dd2ad0a1c8e783.jpg

NY Times: "Louis C.K.s Horace and Pete, Mournful and Unshakable"

Alda is brutally good here, the shows corroded anchor.

But when it really gathers steam nearly any time Mr. Alda opens his mouth, and especially in his scenes with Ms. Falco its like little else on TV. (If it can be said, technically, to be TV at all.)

Like much of Louis C.K.s TV work, Horace and Pete is a messy experiment that stays just on the good side of pretentiousness. But its also probing, engaged and moving. I expect to be thinking about this first episode long after the Iowa returns roll in, and waiting for word of the next round.

0b.jpg

0c.jpg

It does price it a bit higher than your average TV show episodes. It's about £3.50 isn't it, where most episodes sell for £1.89 on iTunes. Not a massive difference, and not something I'd personally get up and complain about it, but three dollars brings it closer to the average price for a new show- think you'd be more likely to get people taking a gamble on it as that price- when you step back and look at it, £14 for four episodes for example feels a wee bit steep.

Yeah, probably, but the show has been made without any network involvement, has a stunning cast, is 70 minutes long, and - presumably - is financed by Louis, who keeps all of the $5.

Complaining about that just seems fucking mental.

• 2 weeks later...

So episode 3 and Laurie Metcalf's actin' chops :o

met.JPG.91fe3b189a3fd5e81a62ea3bd746f7d2

It’s as if Louis C.K. decided to plop a camera down and film painful honesty for 40 minutes. It feels personal and nuanced in the way the best Louie episodes feel, but on a much smaller scale. In short, it’s an episode of Horace And Pete, and after three weeks, that’s starting to mean something.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/horace-and-pete-explores-marriage-divorce-and-self-232212?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_campaign=default

They've been released three Saturdays in a row so far.

If you didn't read his email about it all:

Spoiler

Hello friend guy lady or other,

Some of you are aware that, last Saturday, I launched a new series on my site louisck.net called “Horace and Pete”. I’m writing now to tell you some stuff about it….

Horace and Pete is a new show that I am producing, directing, writing, distributing and financing on my own.  I have an amazing cast: Steve Buscemi, Edie Falco, Alan Alda, Jessica Lange, Aidy Bryant, Steven Wright, Kurt Metzger and other guest stars.  Also Paul Simon wrote and performed the theme song which is beautiful.

The response to episode one has been great so far and there are more coming.  We are making them now and having a lot of fun doing it.

Part of the idea behind launching it on the site was to create a show in a new way and to provide it to you directly and immediately, without the usual promotion, banner ads, billboards and clips that tell you what the show feels and looks like before you get to see it for yourself.  As a writer, there’s always a weird feeing that as you unfold the story and reveal the characters and the tone, you always know that the audience will never get the benefit of seeing it the way you wrote it because they always know so much before they watch it.  And as a TV watcher I’m always delighted when I can see a thing without knowing anything about it because of the promotion. So making this show and just posting it out of the blue gave me the rare opportunity to give you that experience of discovery.

Also because we are shooting this show in a multi-camera format with an emphasis on a live feeling, we are able to post it very soon after each episode is shot.  So I’m making this show as you’re watching it.  

Okay so let’s talk for a minute about the five dollars of it all.  If you’re on this email list then you’re probably aware that I always make an effort to make the work I do on my own as cheap as possible and as painless as possible to get.  That’s why my specials are five dollars and that’s why I sold tickets to my last big tour here on the site, with our own ticketing service at a flat price with no ticket charges and we have worked hard to keep my tickets out of the hands of scalpers.  

So why the dirty fuckballs did I charge you five dollars for Horace and Pete, where most TV shows you buy online are 3 dollars or less?  Well, the dirty unmovable fact is that this show is fucking expensive. 

The standup specials are much more containable.  It’s one guy on a stage in a theater and in most cases, the cost of the tickets that the live audience paid, was enough to finance the filming.  

But Horace and Pete is a full on TV production with four broadcast cameras, two beautiful sets and a state of the art control room and a very talented and skilled crew and a hall-of-fame cast.  Every second the cameras are rolling, money is shooting out of my asshole like your mother’s worst diarrhea.  (Yes there are less upsetting metaphors I could be using but I just think that one is the sharpest and most concise).  Basically this is a hand-made, one guy paid for it version of a thing that is usually made by a giant corporation.

Now, I’m not complaining about this at all.  I’m just telling you the facts.  I charged five dollars because I need to recoup some of the cost in order for us to stay in production.  

Also, it’s interesting.  The value of any set amount of money is mercurial (I’m showing off because i just learned that word.  It means it changes and shifts a lot).  Some people say “Five dollars is a cup of coffee”.  Some people say “Hey! Five dollars??  What the fuck!”  Some people say “What are you guys talking about?”  Some people say “Nothing. don’t enter a conversation in the middle”.

Anyway, I’m leaving the first episode at 5 dollars.  I'm lowering the next episode to 2 dollars and the rest will be 3 dollars after that.  I hope you feel that’s fair.  If you don’t, please tell everyone in the world.  

Meanwhile, we’re going to keep making Horace and Pete.  We’re going to keep telling you the story.  

I sincerely hope that you enjoy it.  I’ll write you again later and tell you more about it.  It’s fun to talk about.  But for now I want to shut up and not ruin the experience of you just watching the show. 

Here’s the link for the website.  Enjoy episode 2 of Horace and Pete.  We’re shooting it now.  You’ll get it on Saturday morning. 

This person, 

Louis C.K.

• 3 weeks later...

I caught up with this a few days ago, and it's pretty incredible.  I've never seen something so human; so brutally honest and mature.  Episode 3 was breath-taking, with Laurie Metcalf's story of dirty, inexcusable yet inescapable sexuality, and I've loved Steve Buscemi's Pete trapped inside his mental health issues, trying to speak to women and having his budding relationship scrutinized and ruined by his family.

As well as the central drama, there's scenes of people who come to the pub; a Tumblr date, regulars arguing over Trump, hipsters being charged more than regulars.  One of my favourite moments was Horace explaining why regulars get charged less "you see this guy? He's really here. This is what he does. You, you're here ironically"

Seriously, it's remarkable.  One of my favourite things I've ever seen. 

Watched episode 2, seems quite unique and strange, in a wonderful way. Also the upstairs apartment set keeps reminding me of Bottom. Anyway, yay for 4 more episodes. Only $2 too! I purchased episodes 2 and 3 but they wouldn't work on my Plex so I had to yar a version, which did work with Plex which was a bit ironic. 

Spoiler

Really like how every now and again you have these weird moments, forgot the name of the old guy character but how he charges locals a different price and gets angry at new customers for questioning that. Then that random moment between the couple dating, come in and do a little 'sketch' and walk out never to be seen again. 

Favourite part was the holocaust/bambi reversal gag. 

Mine brought from Louis' website work fine in Plex, incidentally.

I love the little conversations that happen too.  I would guess they film it weekly, because there's some topical stuff about Trump in there.

Watched episode 3 + 4 last night, Oh boy. What is going on? :lol:

Spoiler

I don't think I'll ever again see a comedy show that starts with a close up of a completely new character talking for about 10 mins. Also, the end of 4 was mad. I was expecting there to be some kind of mature argument or punchline to the discussion about how you should never ever go down on a woman but it just sort of ends with nobody really disagreeing :lol: 

• 1 month later...

He's apparently "lost millions" making that. I find that very hard to believe, because I think he would get "mates rates" from most of the cast, and it's filmed in one location with one camera.

Anyway, him coming out saying that has reminded me I only watched the first episode and really should watch the rest.

17 hours ago, Mentazm said:

He's apparently "lost millions" making that. I find that very hard to believe, because I think he would get "mates rates" from most of the cast, and it's filmed in one location with one camera.

He says Buscemi and friends aren't actually on the payroll, but will get a percentage of profits once the show is sold on.

Just watched episode one after hearing Louis on Marron. Very good so far.

Was looking at some shit online saying it has tanked. Can't say I'm surprised. "We didn't want to promote it". Yeah that'll be why I didn't even know it was out yet then. He seems to be pushing it now. Hopefully it is a success. Seems like it'd be a good fit for Netflix if they could get over the usage of racial and homophobic slurs.

Episode 3 :lol:

Spoiler

I am certain that not ever again in my lifetime will I see a sitcom where an episode starts with a scene that is about 10 mins long (if not longer?) done in 1 take that just hangs onto the face of a character that we've not previously seen in the show before.

Episode 4 or 5

Spoiler

At the end, going on about how a man should absolutely never go down on a woman as it belittles you as a man. I was fully expecting Louis to write something to turn that on it's head or point out how messed up/dated it is to say that. Then it just ends, lol. Wtf. 

Episode 10 

Spoiler

Bizarre all the way through. I nearly died when David Blaine shows up, does a trick and people get angry/freaked out by it and he gets thrown out. Amazing. The ending was just so unexpected, I didn't find it incredibly sad but more haunting :( 

Louis on Maron is by far his best interview of the 3 (Fallon and Stern being the others) regarding this show. Over a hour of just him talking VERY intimately about it, definitely came away from it with an even deeper appreciation. Makes me want to watch it again. It was especially interesting to hear Louis describe how nobody will watch the show in the same way from here on, when it's on Netflix etc (or even now) the person watching will have some concept of what the show is or how many episodes there are but for the very first waves of audience there was really no concept of what this was and that's really exciting. As Louis also says, even if he was to pop up in 2 years time and suddenly announce a new show it wouldn't be as crazy anymore. 

• 2 months later...