Pokkén Tournament DX

Djx

Pokemon x Tekken! What more could you ask for?

The arcade scene wasn't friendly towards the game -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/10/21/pokken-tournament-is-having-a-tough-time-in-japanese-arcades/#1dd7aeb47f05

Wikipedia article has most of the details -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokk%C3%A9n_Tournament

Like Smash Bros on Wii U, DLC characters are going to be released over time

Pokken Tournament is up for pre-order now. Amazon has the game for £39:99 -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pokken-Tournament-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B01983DY5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453419926&sr=8-1&keywords=pokken

The game's Pro Pad is £19:99 -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Tournament-Limited-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B019QB4SL0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453419926&sr=8-2&keywords=pokken

(Updated thread title for Pokken Tournament DX on Switch)

• 1 month later...

From what I've seen there's enough depth for it to be competitive. It's not Virtua Fighter but it looks to be deeper than the DBZ/Naruto anime fighters at the very least. The up close portion of the combat has a lot of what you'd expect from a traditional vs. fighting game and the assists add a bit of strategy there too.

We'll find out soon enough as it's being given every opportunity to make a go of it as a tournament game, with a $100,000 prize pool being put up by Nintendo for the Championship series. It's running at Evo and CEO (two of the biggest Fighting game community tournaments of the year) this year as one of the main games too. Nintendo have always been hesitant (to say the least!) to embrace Smash's status as a hardcore competitive fighter but they seem to be going all in on this one. It's getting good coverage on Eventhubs and Shoryuken too, so there'll be all manner of tech. videos picking it apart and seeing how much it has to offer at high level.

The fighting system at least has enough flexibility for style combos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcrFa3GB1Ds

That Gengar one with the repeated re-launches makes me very happy indeed. I want to do that.

As a huge fan of both fighting games and Pokémon I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Yeah, I haven't really been a competitive player since 2007, but I was thinking of getting this, and would hate for it just to be a cheap pokémon themed button basher.

Also, imo a bit of a missed opportunity not to have the trainers clearly present in the background, instead of the pop-up commentary.

Really surprised there seems to be so little interest for this one, as most sites claim it really is made for top-level competitive gaming. Then again, we already got the likes of SF IV & V and KI filling up that spot.

I really hope it does well at retail, and that Nintendo keeps releasing (free - lol, yeah) new characters DLC long after its initial release.

giphy.gif

First reviews are in:

Nintendo Everything – “Thumbs Up”
IGN – 8 / 10
GameSpot – 9 / 10
Game Informer – 7 / 10
USgamer – 3 / 5
GameXplain – “Liked”
Destructoid – 7.5 / 10
Eurogamer – “Recommended”

Seems like a capable fighter then

22 hours ago, Gambit said:

I have mine pre-ordered!

Lucha Pikachu convinced me.

It's Pikachu Libre, actually ;)

Indeed. I just read the Eurogamer review.

Paging @Rudderless to the thread - I am a Pokemon fan, but suck pretty hard at fighting games. Do you think people like me would enjoy this, then? If I ever did buy this I am inclined to sooner rather than later, both because I think it will become rare and because I'm a sucker for limited run amiibo things.

42 minutes ago, tnman said:

Indeed. I just read the Eurogamer review.

Paging @Rudderless to the thread - I am a Pokemon fan, but suck pretty hard at fighting games. Do you think people like me would enjoy this, then? If I ever did buy this I am inclined to sooner rather than later, both because I think it will become rare and because I'm a sucker for limited run amiibo things.

I really do. My son loves Pokemon and has never played a fighting game before in his life and he's up to the final league on single-player. I enjoy fighting games, but I'm not great at them either and I had a really good time with it.

There are some seriously good players online, but I imagine that'll even itself out over time when more people get hold of it, and the better players rank up so you're less likely to face them. If a few people on here get it, maybe we should organise a friendly tournament.   

EDIT: Incidentally, there's a bit in that US Gamer review about projectile spam which isn't entirely accurate. It can seem OP for much of the campaign if you're using it against opponents, but there are plenty of ways to deal with others using it against you - you can block several attacks before your shield depletes, your synergy burst negates projectiles, and once you've learned how to dash-step, most long-range attacks are easily avoided.

Man, I ordered from Simplygames at 15:30 yesterday, mostly on the basis that it was £36 there. Was hoping I might get it on Thursday but it's already here. That is rapid. If anyone is super keen to get hold of the game I'd recommend them!

Don't think I'm going to dedicate too much time to getting good at this as I'm focused on SFV, but I'd definitely be up for some friendly tournament action with some fellow noobs.

Only had an hour or so with game so far and it is going to take a lot of getting used to. Moving around in the field phase feels like it should be done on the stick but you need the d-pad to dash. It's really jarring. The tutorials are good though. I like that they teach you about the basic rock/paper/scissors mechanics of offense and defense in particular. A lot of fighting games neglect to do that. Also like that the game specifically advises you that rage quitting online matches is rude and should not be done.

I want to play Gengar and have been using him for all the tutorials, but I think I may need to pick a more straightforward 'mon at first while I'm getting to grips with it.

Game feels weird to me so far, need to spend a lot more time with it and acclimatise.

There's a demo of this on the eShop now for anyone on the fence.

Had a go on it and it seemed a lot of fun - very accessible, very cool, very... Nintendo. Also passed the Gamepad to my fiancée for her to have a go, and she fucking annihilated a Gengar as Charizard. So there's that, too.

I picked this up after reading the Eurogamer review. It's great fun! The basics are really simple once you get your head around the two modes, but there's clearly a fair bit of depth behind it all based on what I learnt in the tutorials. The battles feel good and look cool, so there's that too.

My only criticism so far is that the presentation feels a bit budgety outside of the fights, but this doesn't really matter. I'm enjoying the constant unlocks you get from playing through the game. :)

If I pretend it's a bit like a shit version of Virtual On will I be far off? It looks like it isn't far off being a shit version of Virtual On.

I can identify downwards of two Pokemon, but I am still inclined to say this looks really really good.

3 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

There's a broadcast on the official Nintendo channel of the launch finals between Gengar and Garchomp. Garchomp controlled by a player nicknamed Hoe4U.

Dunno how that slipped past NoE's censors.

I played them (well Hoe4U anyway, had to wait another 7 months to play Miller) at the street pass smash bros national last year. It's a bit odd that they'd use that as the basis for picking players for a pokken invitational, probably because they are hoping everyone will play both.

Okay then.

Had a go at Pokkén earlier today, and as Rev mentioned, I thought it has a whiff of Virtual On as well. Esp. with the different phases.

A bit shit that Pikachu Libre is a seperate character, instead of a Pikachu alt.

Okay then.

Had a go at Pokkén earlier today, and as Rev mentioned, I thought it has a whiff of Virtual On as well. Esp. with the different phases.

A bit shit that Pikachu Libre is a seperate character, instead of a Pikachu alt.

From ten minutes with the demo, I simultaneously don't know what I'm doing, both in the "srsly what does what" and the more ponderous "and why" senses, but it could be really good. I had brief blips of doing genuinely well and regular "the CPU is so shit I can't possibly lose" so the demo is fairly pointless to test it as an actual fighting game. The girl squealing advice is annoying, the burst moves are properly Marvel Vs Capcom.

From ten minutes with the demo, I simultaneously don't know what I'm doing, both in the "srsly what does what" and the more ponderous "and why" senses, but it could be really good. I had brief blips of doing genuinely well and regular "the CPU is so shit I can't possibly lose" so the demo is fairly pointless to test it as an actual fighting game. The girl squealing advice is annoying, the burst moves are properly Marvel Vs Capcom.

It looks like it, but when you're in control it's got nothing in common with it as you're controlling your movement relative to the opponent.

From a fair chunk more play: As much as I can tell from a demo, it's really bloody good. Still too easy, but at least that lets you see it gets really savage in a way I can't think any other beat 'em up manages. Get into a good stride and they can be killed in seconds.

It might be random, but it took a bunch of goes on the demo for me for Shark Dude and Horse Lady pop up as opponents beyond the playable ones. 

EDIT: And Tulip woman.

EDIT 2: Yes I am using all the technical terminology.