IGNORED

Formula One - 2016 Season

Jonny5

I'm not sure what it was about Rosberg but he just never excited me.  On the face of it he is a very competent racing driver but there always seemed to be a lacking of passion and/or the intrinsic skill which makes World Champions great.  Button is a driver who perhaps not the very best always had the passion to back it up and had some amazing races under his belt. Rosberg never really seemed to be an exciting driver to what and when things did get hairy he had a habit of bining the car instead. 

Thing with Nico was, he came across as quite dull and his humour quite forced. Which, it was - apparently he is still quite a shy family guy who doesn't really like media spotlights. Would not surprise me if that was a huge part of his decision. The racing I suspect he loved, the spotlight and the politics (and pressure) probably much less.

For me I was in a situation where I could hear stuff from someone at Brackley so I was always okay with Nico. He was, from what I gather, a nice guy who took time to talk to people, sign things, generally be part of the team. At this year's summer party he walked around thanking people for the car and talking to their kids and stuff. He will be missed there. Was he as fast as Lewis? On a rare day yes, on most no. He didn't have the racing acumen of Lewis either. But he was a very good driver all the same.

I've seen Jenson mentioned a lot. Thing with Jenson is, a lot of his most memorable races all came after he won his title. Consider his career up until he joined McLaren and then consider how you'd have thought of him as a driver had that part of his career not happened. He admitted himself he felt winning the title improved his driving more than anything else and it did - drives like Melbourne and China in 2010, Suzuka in 2011 and Spa and Interlagos in 2012. He didn't have anything to prove to himself anymore. We won't get to see that with Rosberg now, which is a shame as it would have been interesting.

I would love to see Hulkenberg get the gig myself as he was already meant to be driving for them in 2013 had certain contractual situations not played out the way they did. Perez isn't a bad shout. Alonso also would be tremendous fun. We'll see.

But yeah, I do get why people might not have warmed up to Nico, but I feel that in retrospect people will look back, see just how amazing Lewis has become since leaving McLaren (and he has - he's combined his speed with a much better mental approach) and realise that anyone could have sat in that second car and be made to have seemed very average at times.

The more I think about it, it's going to be Alonso isn't it. He is bound to have some kind of performance clause in his McLaren contract and I bet he is triggering the fuck out of it right now :lol:

Could make for a great year next year

of course Verstappen in it would make a really exciting season, with him and Hamilton always pushing each other. And probably crashing into each other.

but the way Red Bull is improving, and his racecraft, he doesn't need to switch to make it happen.

As for Rosberg's decision, I totally get it. He's the same age as me, and when you hit 30 your goals in life become more streamlined, and from the outside, look more cutthroat, almost like a checklist. Time is short and obviously raising a family is the most important thing you can do in life.

I think he's also just had enough of Hamilton. They've been rivals since their karting days and Lewis has always managed to beat him apart from this season. He's also Hamiton's longest serving teammate and imagine after four years of beating his head against that brick wall now he's achieved him dream of winning a title there is no reason to carry on.

If Mercedes replace him with Vettel or Alonso there are going to be fireworks.

I would imagine Fred is kicking the door to Merc doing a Senna and saying 'I'll drive that car for nowt' while they scan through Lewis contract where it states 'any team mate as long as it's not him'

Fascinating if they sign one of the leading 4, free's up another seat somewhere else with a half decent car.

I really respect the balls of retiring instead of banking an easy £25 million or so over the remaining two years of his contract and just not bothering to put much effort in. I wonder what his WDC bonus was... must have been sizeable

BBC suggested his WDC bonus would be around £5m or so, if what Vettel and Hamilton have received for their titles. Maybe a bit less as Nico's probably considered a slightly less "prestige" driver than those two, but certainly it's not going to be chump change. 

I'm not a fan as such, but he always came across as a nice guy deep down. At 31 though, you've achieved your dream, never have to work again and can raise your young daughter and spent time with your wife, living it up wherever you want in the world... not exactly a horrible situation to be faced with. Quite happy for him in a way, and also excited to see what next year throws up. 

Can't imagine any of the big names will get the 2nd seat though. And if it somehow is Alonso, you can guarantee the Merc will therefore be shit next year.

That he would! Man, trying for race after race to beat Marmite in RLLMUK F1 was exhausting. Felt pretty good to even be in the same ballpark occasionally. Maybe I should have retired :sherlock:

Still miss our F1 league racing days. Still reckon that at some point, some how, we'll at least reconvene for at least one race :)

24 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Still miss our F1 league racing days. Still reckon that at some point, some how, we'll at least reconvene for at least one race :)

F1 2017 turns out to be mega and VR enabled... madness happens...

Cannot have been an easy decision to retire when you've been the best in the world for the last year. He could've coasted for 5 years and picked up a massive salary purely because he was a champ. 

I think he deserves respect for this decision, as it will free up space for younger drivers to follow their dreams and get a drive in F1. 

I understand the decision, especially as his primary focus seems to be his new family. Even if the Merc is still the dominant force next year he'd have to be 100% focused on the racing just to keep up with a Lewis determined to re-claim the title, and he sounds unwilling to miss his kid growing up which I hope is seen as a good thing.

It won't help his legacy though and I think he might always be remembered as the champ that got lucky and then ran off by being in 1 of only 2 cars that could have won it and then the other guy losing it to reliability rather than Nico winning it, as that seems to have been the narrative everywhere since he won it.

5 minutes ago, blurie said:

It won't help his legacy though and I think he might always be remembered as the champ that got lucky and then ran off by being in 1 of only 2 cars that could have won it and then the other guy losing it to reliability rather than Nico winning it, as that seems to have been the narrative everywhere since he won it.

The fact that the F1 team bosses rated his teammate the best driver by a country mile and he wasn't even the runner up could have told him something...

https://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127328/team-bosses-name-hamilton-2016-best-driver

1 Lewis Hamilton, 234 points (No change)
2 Max Verstappen, 183 (Up two places)
3 Nico Rosberg, 176 (No change)