IGNORED

Formula One - 2016 Season

Jonny5

I doubt Mercedes would reprimand Lewis in a way that would backfire on them publicly. He'll probably got a bollocking from Toto and Paddy after the race and that's it. One of the reasons I've read for Lewis apparently handing in his resignation after the Spanish GP was because Mercedes were considering not allowing them to race at which point it's completely understandable why he'd go elsewhere. 

I'm looking forward to 2017 now. Nico has got his title and all of that stress seems to have disappeared. I wonder if he'll still have the fight in him next year or if he'll go all out to defend his title.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

It wasn't quite as simple for Rosberg as passing Lewis, though, mainly due to Lewis being particularly clever with how he was slowing him down. We were watching it on the telemetry board up on the wall. He'd go as fast as he could around the last corner and through the DRS Zones, and then slow right down in the fiddly, tricky bit where overtaking moves are messy and frequently involve contact. Plus, had Nico gone past then Lewis would have tried to have him back - Lewis was the quicker of the two ultimately.

All Lewis had to do, whether it was being overtaken or overtaking, was to run Nico out of road - for which he has more than enough previous form - and boom, Nico was suddenly 4th and Lewis was champion. I'm a bit confused as to why some people can't see that and are criticising Nico for not wanting to go anywhere near wheel-to-wheel with his team mate. He knew the lesser of two evils was sitting behind him, and Lewis was doing a stunning job of perfectly judging his pace at the different parts of the circuit.

I hope they don't fine or reprimand Lewis - I can understand the team's concern as they thought firstly that Verstappen and then Vettel would be able to not only overtake Nico, but both cars and that would not have helped anyone. Turns out Lewis had it under control and it was - in my opinion - one of the cleverest pieces of defensive driving I've seen. It wasn't as if he was sandbagging it all around the circuit - he was using the circuit's layout to his advantage and bottling it up in the parts he knew could cause trouble.

Great post yeah, this is what is important, people are saying rosberg wimped out but he didn't shy away from passing Max and it got pretty hairy with that guy, he could easily have just relied on sitting in third but passing Lewis was a whole different matter.

Ultimately if you're going to point the finger of blame it goes to the circuit, how on earth can you have an F1 race where you can drive way off the pace as a tactic and win? It's a new circuit too! 

Come on guys only -6 for someone being a prick about someone being a prick. That should even itself out.

Or are you being all English and defending our borders.

Rosberg could barely keep the thing going in a straight line in Monaco. It was embarrassing how crap he was.

He would have been passed or there would have been contact when the inevitable move came, given that it's at Monaco.

And anyway I don't see what that has to do with what happened at Abu Dhabi? So one time he moves over because he's embarrassingly slow so in return Ham should just give up the championship?

Oh hang on! You're doing that trolling thing right? I read about that once. Well done.

Rosberg is certainly a class act compared to Hamilton. Remember that Rosberg allowed Hamilton to pass for the sake of the team back in Monaco, then Hamilton returns the favour by trying to screw him over in the last race.

Really different circumstances. I've been vocal about what I call the "Hamilton Defence Force" on RLLMUK on a frequent basis but I think Hamilton did the right thing by his championship attempt. He needed Rosberg to finish with two cars between them, so he did what he could to achieve that. Likewise Rosberg did what he could to try and keep his attempt safe, if that meant not overtaking Hamilton then that's what he evidently chose to do, and showed with his move on Max he was willing to take some risk to make sure he was able to take that championship.

8 hours ago, Charles said:

Given that Mercedes clearly has the best car and that Rosbery was either unable to or unwilling to race Hamilton it made for a bit of a limp finish to the season.  Would have much preferred Rosberg actually needing to beat Hamilton so he might actually try and do something. 

I haven't read beyond this post yet, so someone may have made the same point but I feel the need to counter this.

Attempting to influence a championship through collision is something that many of the F1 'greats' have been mixed up with, I say this particularly as a lifelong fan of Schumacher and having to hear the media/people around me constantly labelling him as a dirty cheat, undeserving winner and so on. Yesterday we got a champion who played it clean to the end despite having every opportunity to seal the deal in a manner we have seen time and time again.

A lot of you are labelling him as too timid or lacking the skill to pass Hamilton, conveniently overlooking the fact he put in a much riskier and stunning move once already (to pass Verstappen, the one guy you don't want to risk passing if you have something to lose). He could have thrown it up the inside of Hamilton, not caring about the consequences, and been champion regardless - the press would have had a field day with that one of course. He didn't, that's commendable but you guys are spinning it like a bad thing.

Hamilton played the underhand tactics, I don't judge him for that but it's interesting how everyone rationalises it when it's their favoured driver that's being a bit sneaky. One thing that does irk me is how two-faced Hamilton was, prior to the race he was pleading ignorance to the situation and claiming to have been only interested in going as fast as he can - yeah you don't want to give the game away but ideally you don't want to look like a barefaced liar either.

There was a bit of chat about being a 'moral victor' in the sense of being the deserving champ even without the points. I would say Rosberg is the moral victor because he showed restraint and fair play to win his championship. Lewis attempting to sabotage his rivals race denies him any right to claim a moral victory.

Edit - and yeah, Mercedes needed to STFU. They should understand the PR game a little better than that.

I don't see how they were underhand tactics - it's the only thing he could do in their relative positions to try and influence the outcome, and everybody knew what he was doing.  And I believe most other drivers would have done the same thing.

As for Hamilton lying, I'm not so sure, but obviously we'll never know for certain.  If he did intend to do it why wait for so long?  To me it seems like he came to the decision to do it during the race.

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Rosberg is certainly a class act compared to Hamilton. Remember that Rosberg allowed Hamilton to pass for the sake of the team back in Monaco, then Hamilton returns the favour by trying to screw him over in the last race.

Did you get lost on your way to the BBC comments section?

13 hours ago, mexos said:

Rosberg could barely keep the thing going in a straight line in Monaco. It was embarrassing how crap he was.

He would have been passed or there would have been contact when the inevitable move came, given that it's at Monaco.

And anyway I don't see what that has to do with what happened at Abu Dhabi? So one time he moves over because he's embarrassingly slow so in return Ham should just give up the championship?

Oh hang on! You're doing that trolling thing right? I read about that once. Well done.

A wet Monaco is about the closest you can get to levelling the field in terms of car ability. Which showed us where Nico stands in terms of the top drivers. Let's be honest, on that showing he isn't even in the top 5 drivers currently on the grid. Again in Brazil when rain cut down the Mercs advantage, it was only some shocking pit calls and bad timing by Red Bull that gifted him second. 

14 hours ago, the_debaser said:

article-2638151-1E2AD7E600000578-751_634

rosberg, at monaco, helping his teammate, yesterday...

Anyone that thinks Hamilton was just going to drive off into the sunset and wait for something to happen behind him is an idiot.

And you know what Full credit to Nico for not doing a Schumacher or Senna and driving into Hamilton to secure that title, what we saw was two drivers at the top of their game driving their own strategy and doing a bloody good job of it. It was a completely fair fight and in other drivers hands could have ended in carbon fibre smeared down the armco.

Also, Yes Nico was lucky this year, but then so was Hamilton when he beat Massa to the title, Massa won the race and it was only Glock "struggling" on a wet track that handed Lewis the 5th place and title. 

Consistency and luck  .. .that's what win the big silver cup.

So well done to Nico, he isn't the best driver on the grid, but he beat the best to win the title. 

See, Rosberg gets it!

"I can understand Lewis because you know, we're drivers, we're fighters until the last metre. It was about the world championship, he decided to try everything he could out there so, also in a way it's understandable, even if it was very tough. And that's it. I don't think it's something that needs to be discussed much."

It's just the Mercedes team who come out looking bad, by giving completely unreasonable orders - knowing it's something he couldn't and wouldn't comply with - and claiming that's fair somehow.

Lewis gave up on testing today because he was "Unwell".  They do fuck all testing but this is the second one Lewis has missed this year.

I suspect this is exactly the same unwell as your average footballer is just before an away friendly against Moldova.

What's all this brew ha? anyone worth their salt, Senna, Prost, Mansell, Piquet (not the cobbler, he would have stuck him in the wall at turn 1) would have done exactly the same thing. Advantage Hamilton, he was playing with him like a cat play's with a mildly dead mouse. Mercedes are looking like dicks at the moment, if there was a half decent seat available next year I'd expect Hamilton to find his way into it.

Classic 'up yours' to testing as well. I'm starting to like the chap, maybe just a bit...